1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full system drive, best way to upgrade to bigger drive(s)?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by trickster, 29 Jul 2008.

1. trickster

trickster What's a Dremel?

Hi All

I’ve been reading Bit-tech for ages now and decided you clever people would be able to solve a problem for me that’s recently surfaced.

I've had Vista 64 on this machine for about 6 months but managed to fill the system drive (C: 120GB IDE, D: 160GB SATA) with applications.
    I want to use the opportunity to upgrade to a SATA drive for my system.
    I have seen software such as Acronis TrueImage which will copy the entire drive contents to another drive. Will this copy to a bigger drive?
    Also, I was considering setting up RAID to give myself a little redundancy too. Is it possible to copy from one 120GB IDE to a pair of 500GB SATA drives in RAID using this or similar software?

Will this potentially cause problems with my system / software?

Thanks in advance

Rick

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

It is possible. Something like Acronis Trueimage should be able to do it I think, and Seatools http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools should be able to as well.

edit: not so sure about the RAID though, as most operating systems make you install RAID drivers whilst you are installing them, so this may cause problems.

Welcome to the forums btw!

3. trickster

Cheers Cupboard

I'll have to give this a go and maybe re-think the RAID idea.
    I'm guessing I can't set up RAID after I have my single drive sorted out? i.e If I have one 500GB SATA with system on and I add another 500GB SATA later on, can I use this as the second half of the RAID?

think I need to play around a bit with this.

Thanks again

4. deeem119

deeem119 What's a Dremel?

Acronis Trueimage or Ghost should work fine. They'll copy the image to a larger partition as well.

You should be fine with the RAID as well, as long as it's done in hardware - once it's set up, disk imaging software, just like other software, should just see it as one physical drive as presented by the RAID controller.

5. trickster

Thanks deeem.

Will give it a go.
    Best get some drives ordered!

R