1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding modding cooler master centurion 590

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BigAl333, 30 Jun 2008.

1. BigAl333

BigAl333 What's a Dremel?

I finally got a case, a coolermaster centurion 590.
    Has anyone got one of these and modded it?
    I am going to add a reset button at the top, next to the usb port.
    Already added a pc speaker "buzzer", turned it on its side and stuck on rubber feet, but need to paint the bottom, which is now the side.
    Then i want to add switches so i can power down my unused hdds.

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ah yes, I remember when you where looking for one of these. Is the case as nice as you hoped?

You should start a project log of your mod, I would be interested in seeing what you do to it.

3. BigAl333

Yes, ages ago, kept putting it off, finally managed to get one for £39.99 not including psu from a shop.
    This is my first new case since 95 and its huge in comparison. So much easier to work on inside and my TU120E fits inside, so i can have the top on lol, but need a reset switch.
    I will take some pics for the reset switch mod.

4. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Where the CM590 ?

Hello ,This case is fantastic , can you tell me please in which shop you got the Coolermaster CM590 ? thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Aug 2008
  5. Lunn1

Lunn1 What's a Dremel?

can you actually do that without shorting out your compuer

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Yes you can.
    I would only do that if in knew I wasn't going to be using them for a while, and make sure I turn them off before I start the computer.
    Unless it's Hot Swappable. Then just disconnect and power down.

7. BigAl333

tonschk
    I bought it from
    http://www.pitstop.uk.com/ and i think they got it from
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=21070

500mph
    I have a total of 8 hdds, 2 are my system drives, with different OS's on and the others are full of films and tv shows recorded from freeview.
    When i buy new internals, which i still havent done yet, the controller will be hotswappable. Just need to find a 80 plus gold/silver psu with 8 sata power connectors or use some of these http://www.redstore.com/AKASTO080.
    Having all the drives on would make too much noise and waste power.

8. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

9. BigAl333

500mph
    Thanks for that, its good to know, I don’t know much about psu's and reading about 1 large 12v rail is interesting. I will buy a psu when I get a mobo ect, as I’m sure by then technology will have moved on even further. I can’t decide to wait a month and get a, hopefully price dropped x48 when the new Nehalem come out, or get a Nehalem?

There is a jumper on the hdds called PM2, I believe that if you set this to enabled then you can leave the drives connected with data and power leads and on power up it will not spin these drives until you want/ request to access them. This way they are always accessible.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2008
  10. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Thank you very much :clap: this CM590, even if have a simple and not extraordinary look , this is the reason of it`s great performance , the same like the old story about David and Goliath , David was the winner because was small and light and therefore with better performance :thumb:

11. norim_13

norim_13 What's a Dremel?

hi,

can you tell me how are you going to create a reset button in your CM centurion 590?? please...

12. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

With the talk of power switches and jumper settings, it seems everyone is overlooking the fact that you can just set your power settings to turn off your HDDs when not in use.

13. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

I plan to buy this case but my motherboard have already a reset button , but I dont understand Coolermaster why so stingy with a cheap reset button ?

14. BigAl333

norim 13,
    I have dismantled my case but have not got round to doing any mods, I'm scared as i have not modded before. I could take pictures and show you what i was going to do and you could try if you like, I have no dremmel or drill or bench to hand, so i would have to keep going over to a friends. I also cant decide if i should move my Floppy/card reader to the top, where the usb connectors are and move that to the side?? Too many decisions.

Theabysdragon,
    have a look at http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=146573

tonschk,
    tell me about it, i often "once a week, when backing up" add and remove a hdd without powering down as i dont like to keep surging the hdds. I use the reset button whilst pc is rebooting to connect the power cable, reset, and then the data cable, reset. My sata controller isnt hotswappable.

Sorry i haven't replied, i didnt get any email notifications!!!!

Last edited: 26 Aug 2008
  15. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

Oh ok, I guess I see what you're trying to do. I've never had that issue since my computer never goes into standby/hibernate.

16. ozz

ozz Nerd? Yep sure am & proud of it.

1st post here after lurking for a while so g'day folks...
    I saw this post for the 590 & thought i'd show you what i've done with mine so far, hopefully you'll get some ideas from it. This was my first go at a mod too & I guess the hardest thing to do was get over the fear that I might completely stuff something up. Anyhow this is a start, i'm planning on doing a fair bit more to it yet.
    First thing was to chuck in a cylon eye...
    The cylon eye
    Then ended up cutting a hole in the side & putting in a custom window with an etching on it, chucked in a couple of cathodes...
    The window
    Gotta take a few more pics now as i've moved the 2 cathode switches from the back & put them onto 1 switch in the front along with a tri lazed blue led switch & a sound activation module. All of these switches were inaccessible or difficult to get to so turned the spare floppy front cover into a switch bay. Added a zalman fan controller too(and forgot to dust it off b4 taking the pic...lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Good swap with a Not modular PSU , the cable management looks better and more tidy with the Not modular PSU , congratulation :thumb:

18. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

:confused: Sorry I dont understand your question, tell you what ?

19. BigAl333

tonschk
    Again i am not getting email notifications on updates on this thread, admins, any ideas?

20. Computer_Tinker

Computer_Tinker What's a Dremel?

Modding the bezel

Has anyone considered adding some blue or red LED lights behind the bezel on the left and right?

From reviews it shows that the brushed metal sides can be removed...

Just joined and hoping to have the 590 case to me by Monday of next week from newegg.

THX.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Dec 2008