1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 3.5mm power lead?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bigsharn, 1 Aug 2008.

1. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Hi all... I was having a think the other day (and I haven't had chance to get on to ask)... but those passive speakers you get are powered by something right? and they only have a 3.5mm jack in them... so does anyone know by chance how much oomph they put out? (I was thinking LEDs maybe)

Thanks all
    Sharn

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Passive speakers are exactly that - passive. So no power other than the amplifier output is present.

3. bigsharn

so... it depends on the outlet?

thing is I work for a tourbus company, and my phone sometimes goes dead... we use 3.5mm jacks for the headphone ports, so (as well as the LEDs from the 3.5mm jack in the PC) I wanted to mod a nokia charger to work with the headphone outlets

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Back to the drawing board ;)

5. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

yea those speakers are just like headphones. not a good power supply there.

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Speakers also operate on AC I believe, so even if there was enough power there you would still need to design a AC->DC circuit to make the power usable.

7. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Hmm, presumably if you just connected an LED + resistor across a speaker terminal, it'd flash at the same frequency the speaker's going at, maybe even to the point of varying brightness with frequency!

8. bigsharn

*Idea officially stolen*

:p in all seriousness I'll probably use it on Project AT-AT, thankles:thumb:

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It does, but a few points;
    • No flash at all until the voltage exceeds the LED forward voltage (though that makes it good for picking up the louder beat);

• You'll need a diode in inverse parallel with the LED to limit reverse voltage

• A 50W amplifier has around ±33V max at the speakers so apart from blowing LEDs you can get a shock
    Better way is to get the speaker voltage to trigger a transistor switch to the lighting, that only needs >0.7V.

10. bigsharn

Is there any chance I can make it only work with music and make it not pick up sound from games or the various Windows sounds?

I'm just thinking for if I have a friend round and I play CS: Source and the LEDs flashing whenever I fire a round might get a tad annoying:p

If not I'll just stick a manual switch in the circuit:)

even better, could I just get a speaker, take it apart and attach LEDs to it... then play a frequency on the line out port (Having my speakers in a different port)... then it flashes to that frequency?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2008