1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless network problems urgent help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 3 Aug 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

OK chaps,

i moved into my new house yestruday knowing full well that they have got wireless internet, so i was a matter of typing in the WPA-PSK code and bam wireless internet right!

well no, there setup is like so

virgin cable modem > Belkin wireless G router > then my laptop

i am currently contected to the internet via a Cat5 cable connected direct to the router which is ok, but i live 3 floors up and coming down to the living room is hardly an option!

the router provides perfect signal full strength right up on the top floor, and my flats mate Mac book connects fine.

when my windows finds the network and after i have entered the network key, its says 'Acquiring network address' but nothing more, and is stuck at that point. When i try to repair the network connection it cant find the IP address..

i am some what stuck chaps, my internal network card in this laptop is 802.11b and 802.11g compatible, maybe there is a hardware issue but i cant see why as i could connect fine to my Orange live box back at my parents place.

Please help

2. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

Is there MAC address filtering on the router aswel as encryption? I take it you tested connecting to it whilst sat next to router aswel? Also are you running vista, as ive found when a mate tried connecting to my AP he had a similar problem as vista hadnt finished configuring for wether it was a home or public network.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

No, i am running XP pro,

can you explain testing? is this done whilst i am connected via the CAT5 cable.

may i point out before someone asks, i am not trying to connect my RJ45 connection and my wireless to the router at the same time. I am mearly using the wired access to get online to sort my wireless issue.

4. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

When you try to connect are you sitting on the 3rd floor or have you tried sitting next to the router and doing it? Whats the signal strength like?

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

as i mentioned i am using the CAT5 cable so i am 5ft from the router, i also get perfect signal even 3 floors up. Nothing i do seems to work.

My main computer has got a brand new belkin wireless card in it, but when packing and moving i left my keyboard at home, so i going out later to get a new keyboard and shall son see if i have any luck connecting.

If i am able to connect via my pc then i know its a hardware glitch between my Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG and the belkin router..

shall soon see what happens, but more ideas are welcome! as i say its weird, at home perfect connection to a Orange livebox, here i see see signal strenght at max and i can enter the network key, but it is having a problem assigning the IP address.

wheres bindi or someone when you need them! Thanks for your help MixWizard, keep the ideas coming!

6. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

If theres other stuff operating fine then its something on the laptop.

Have you checked to see if theres MAC address filter setup on the router, and have you checked the key is being put in right.

Other then that the only thing i can think of is to get a wireless card and try that

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

When you're connected via cat5, note down the address your given (192.168.x.x) and also note down the gateway address. In your wireless tcp/ip settings, put the ip address in that you got when connected via cat5, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, then gateway address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) and in the primary dns field put the gateway address in again.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thanks kenko,

I got a new keyboard earlier and set my computer up to see if i could connect, and well i am posting this from the 3rd floor, success!

i shall try and get the laptop online later tonight, and post what happens.

Tags: