1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What're you reading this summer?

Discussion in 'General' started by DougEdey, 18 Jun 2008.

1. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Probably finish the three Richard Feynmann lectures I'm reading (can't remember the name of the book, but they're good lectures).. And maybe move onto some Asimov short stories.. or perhaps Nightfall, maybe some Arthur C. Clarke..

I've got a lot of Sci-Fi to read.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

SNAP!

It's great, isn't it? But doesn't it make the film look like watered-down piss :D

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The film and the book are totally different. The film was Hollywood-ised beyond recognition. Don't know why they felt they needed to change such a classic book, but hey - that's Hollywood for you.

I'm reading Ubik by PKD at the moment; just finished Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, and before that The Stars My Destination. I'm reading my way through Orion's Masters of SF series (I think that's what they're called - brightly coloured books with rounded corners) - just Ubik and Cities in Flight to go

4. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky at the moment....
    Going to read Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith again while on holiday in the far east next week..
    I recommend everyone should read that....

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Finished Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden - superb, rollicking tale of the formative years of Genghis Khan. Real big budget, Hollywood ripsnorter style stuff. Absolutely glued to it and devoured the 500 or so pages in a couple of days. I've got the next one in the series on order from Amazon coming this week. Cannot. Wait.

Before that I finished Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell. Didn't realise it was book three in a series until i was mid way through. Great stuff. All about 9th century Saxon/Danish wars in the North East of England. Again, would make a great movie - betrayal, revenge, bloody violence. Top stuff.

Now reading The Forever Wars by Joe Haldeman. Seminal sci-fi after nearly a 1000 pages of historical swords and chainmail. The science in it is mind boggling to a non-science person like me, but the sci-fi aspects are great. Very much the influence for stuff like Starship Troopers. Good stuff.

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I think the Beeb are serialising it at the moment as an audiobook thingy.

7. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
    Popcorn by Ben Elton
    Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by PKD

Joe

8. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

Just finished reading The Google story, which was quite good.

And have just started reading BOOHOO, it's a story of .com start up failure, tis looking good so far.

9. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

"The Cellist of Sarajevo", a novel set in the city of Sarajevo, during part of the period in the 1990's when it was under seige by the Bosnian Serb army surrounding it.

In the 'Afterword', the author writes: "As of October 2007, the leaders of the Bosnian Serb Army, Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, are still at large, despite having been charged in 1996 with war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity."

Within a week of me reading those words, Karadzic had been captured and had appeared before the International Criminal Tribunal in the Hague.

10. inverted

inverted What's a Dremel?

I just read Panis by Jeff Abbot. Was an amazing thriller and would recommened it to anyone. I couldn't put it down!

11. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy, and enjoying far far more than the film :)

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just finished Book 3 (Grave Peril) and 4 (Summer Knight) in the Dresden Files. Now on to books 5 & 6...

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just about to start World War Hulk and Marvel Zombies 2.

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Bill Clinton's autobiography.

Interesting read so far, ironically itc's about the same size as the bible, and the pages feel just as thin, so I'll probably end up using this as door stop or to swat wasp's with as well.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Got some Dune books lined up for next week.

Also Real Ultimate Power and The Alphabet of Manliness.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

17. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Oh, and I might crack out I Hope they Serve Beer in hell, if I can find it.
    I'm packing for my holiday, don't want to forget anything good. :)

18. Major

Major Guest

I seriously want to read my books, but they are for the holiday and plane only. :D

19. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

At the moment I'm working through "Chaos" by James Gleick. Its taking me a fairly long time as I keep stopping and to refresh my math/physics knowledge so I can better understand whats going on and get some background.

I'd urge anyone with an interest in science to read it, its one of the more layman friendly science books :)