1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network not working

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by lp1988, 2 Aug 2008.

1. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

i'm having problems with my computer, after installing vista i am no longe able to find anny network i have tried running all drivers for the onboard ethernet however nothing happens. when i plug in a cable the green light appears however no network are found, just says "not connected". i have had other computers on the same internet so there are nothing wrong with the connection. i have had Vista home premium 32 installed to make shure that it wasn't Vista. BIOS is set to the optimized defaults.

pc specs

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    MSI K9A2 platinum v2
    AMD phenom 9850 Quad core
    ATI Radeon 4850
    4x 1 gb Kingston RAM set to 800
    1000W corsair power
    LiteOn LH-20A1S dvd+rw
    500 g Seagate Barracuda HDD

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- Do you have the latest drivers that are available on the website that made the onboard Ethernet card?

Try this:
    - Turn off your computer.
    - Disconnect your modem and your router and wait 30sec (power and Ethernet).
    - Give power to your modem connect it to the router and give the router power. Wait several second until the router is connected with the modem
    - Connect the Ethernet cable to your computer following the direction given in the instruction manual of your router.
    - Turn on your computer, wait until everything loads and wait several more seconds (to make SURE that the router has time to connect with your computer)
    - Open "Internet Explorer (Safe Mode)" (it's somewhere in the start menu)

See if it connects.
    Also try to connect on your router.
    For example, on some Linksys router it's 192.168.1.1

3. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

did not work.... i have plugged in an old networks kart, worked perfectly fine, just a b**** that I can't get the onboard card working. but thank you for trying...

all drivers are no less than four days old.

4. scuzzphut

scuzzphut perfectly normal

something in the setup of the onboard card, then ?

Is it set to automatically retrieve an IP address and DNS server from your router? (usually referred to as DHCP)

5. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Is the onboard showing up in Device Manager? I'll need more details to help you further.
    Also do you have a spare nic card laying around?, if not borrow one!

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

it is set to automatically retrieve an IP address and DNS server and every other computer does that..

there is no trace of the onboard card in the device manager however the card i ripped out of an old server and put in my com works and shows up in device manager..

7. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

If the onboard card isn't showing up in device manager it is very likely that you have it disabled in BIOS.

Check the BIOS settings (Probably under "Integrated Peripherals" or somesuch) and make sure that onboard LAN in enabled there.

8. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

it is... i have tried all that i could think of in BIOS.... and when it is set to the optimized defaults BIOS should not be the problem...

i have tried to format the computer and use a diffrent version of vista (home basic 32 bit)

9. JamesCreese

JamesCreese What's a Dremel?

Try disabling "Turn this device off to save power" in Windows.

I assume you've tried using a different cable in to the network card, and a different switch port?

10. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

yes i have tried that but I haven´t tries to switch the power saving off

Tags: