1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 unchanged after Art Director quits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I hope once the game comes out, that someone makes a mod so the game looks more like Diablo 1/2/2X.
    still don't like the current art direction as much as I would like to.

3. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I think that will be the first mod that comes out.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

You know when you read something without actually reading anything?... I know it, all too well.

Here I go again..

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

as much as i LOVE diablo and what they're doing with it I'd actually like the first mod to be a total conversion! only because I wouldn't mind playing in a more contemporary world ... like the Vampire series maybe...(or hellgate, which is a shame it wasn't great )

back on topic. it's odd and (slightly dissapointing) that a lead role cuts out half way through development, cuz its surely going to cut up the release date

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

It sucks to see a good artist leave Blizzard but I don't blame him for leaving for something better. I still don't see why people are giving the devs crap about the color palette. I think now with the way technology has advanced, maybe they can create the world of Diablo the way they orginally pictured it in their minds. IDK....I'm still buying a copy.

7. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I think it looks amazing. Myself and everyone I've spoken to have spaffed many pairs of pants watching the trailer. I never really liked the darkness, it was sometimes hard to see what was going on. This still feels dark to me, but everything is visible and exciting.

The guys who dump on the art, are wrong.

8. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

I agree that the people who are whining about the way D3 looks need to find something else to do and give Blizzard a chance to actually develop the game first. We've so far only seen just two different zones.

"If you don't like it, don't play i" is what I think. You can make one yourself so you can get exactly what you want.
    I'm sure all the people against the colors would've been rather angsty if D2 would've been previewed with Arcane Sanctum and the desert of Act 2. It's only a part of it, so just because Blizzzard chose to show the two zones first doesn't mean much at this point.

The level of whining the more vibrant and unique colors have raised are the product of small people who are able to adapt to new, which makes me rather sad seeing as I've considered gamers to be the open minded people. I guess we're seeing a change in that, where we will begin to see the divide between "conservative" players and the "adaptive" players.

Unfortunate that Blizzard lost an important designer, but I'm sure it wasn't all of a sudden or for the wrong reasons.

9. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

There's got to be something under the covers here... very unusual for an art director to quit so close to a deadline. There must have been some fundamental disagreement with lead designers/developers that caused him to move on. A part of me worries that he left because they were pressuring him to make it more like those idiot fan manglings of the screenshots.

p.s.: spellcheck your blurb on the main page.

10. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

I dont expect blizzard are anywhere near a deadline for D3, look how long ago Starcraft 2 was announced compared to projected release dates etc.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

12. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I don't know what the big deal is about the look of the game, it looks gorgeous. I really hate it when a game comes out and it appears to have been made entirely in shades of brown and gray (Gears of War I'm looking at you).

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Why can't people understand that it's not finished yet, they have loads of time to change anything including the colour!

Let them be and they shall deliver the goods.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

As I recall, Diablo 2 didn't start off any more vivid, either, nor had the first Diablo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what's the fu**ing deal, with these twats mouthing off about the new game? Have we seen the River of Flames or the final boss battle, yet? So all of this furore is over the game's conceptual opening regions, which doesn't look any different from either of its predecessors over the last 11 years.

15. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I think it still looks good too, but theres no denying Diablo 3 has a distinct Warcraft (and to some extent WoW) feel to the graphics. Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo always has different visual styles imo, but I guess people should just learn to live with the fact that all Blizzard's games now will have a cartoony, colour saturated look. Just look at D3 and SC2.

16. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity hmmm.

I like the new art direction. I do hope they get rid of those rainbows though.

17. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I also like the new art direction, and so does everyone I showed it to.

So I don't understand all the criticism from some.

18. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

Never really bin a big Diablo fan but will give it a look over

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I will reserve judgement for the time we've seen what? a few minutes of gameplay very early in the game and development cycle. D2 was muddy and dark but I think that was more in line with the graphics of the time Also remember act 2 took place in a desert that was all sandy colored and not that dark. The art director had some good points about if everything is grey in a 3d engine things become hard to see and it doesn't work on a 3d engine. He also said that the later levels where much darker.

I'mjust hoping the game will be a little more gruesome, I remember fondly all the blood stains, skeletons in torture racks, harems full of dead concubines etc.

20. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Agreed with the people saying it's way too early, as posted before.

MrMonroe, which deadline are you talking about? The work put into games increase as their development cycle gets closer its end, so in those terms understanding the timing doesn't require any conspiracy theories. They wanted to do it once they're well on their way but not in a critical phase of developement is how I would see it. Good luck waiting for D3 if you're of the opinion it's coming out soon, you might want to think of something to do in between though =]

CowBlazed yeah it's true Blizzard is using more vibrant color palettes now than before, but since when have Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo looked anything but cartoony?

Tags: Add Tags