1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Recommendation for new HDTV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anator, 3 Aug 2008.

1. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

Looking to replace my 27" Samsung LCD as I have recently discovered it is not HDCP compatible so I can't play blu-ray disks on it. Looking for anything up to 37" and wanting to pay no more than £600. Not fussed about it being True 1080P as I've been told you wont notice the difference on anything under 40". All I want to be doing is playing back blu-ray from my PC (currently using DVI), and the odd bit of freeview watching. Not bothered about the speakers as everything runs through my home cinema system anyway, just want a top quality picture for a good price :)

Would prefer if it wasn't a Samsung out of principle, but if it's a seeringly good deal I will consider it!

Few I have been looking at so far are:

http://www.kelkoo.prcdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KDL32P3000U
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000XR8XIQ/kelkoocpc-lcdtvs-21/ref=nosim
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TLRV0M/kelkoompcpc-lcdtvs-21/ref=nosim

Cheers,
    A

2. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I like to future proof my large purchases as much as possible.

HDMI 1.3 should be part of what your buying, so make sure. Otherwise, you won't be able to have TrueColor unless you buy again. By the same thinking, BR drives, and receivers need to be the same specs for them to work.

The size of the screen is best judged by the amount of viewing distance and angle that you will need to have. At the least, I would consider getting a 40" or better. The price has come down pretty far.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2008
  3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

:eeek: Why :confused:

Samsung make some of the best looking, best quality, and most competitively priced HDTV's on the market today :idea:

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Sharp Aquos, particularly their SpecialEdition model... hands down outperforms the competition w/ it's specs.

5. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Well previously it was because I was told by samsung that my existing TV wasn't HDCP compatible, and that it wouldn't play Blu-ray disks at all over DVI. Even more to my annoyance is that I have just upgraded the graphics card on my pc and blu ray disks plan fine - on both the TV and on my PC monitor!??

Im so confused with the whole thing, I have no idea whether it's actually outputting the correct HD resolution or anything. The picture on the samsung looks quite grainy on the blue-ray movies I have, I dont know whether this is the TV or the 10M DVI cable im using from the PC to the TV, or something else.

Since talking to Samsing and making this thread I went and purchased a Toshiba Regza 32" LCD, and now I don't know whether to take this out of it's box (and risk not being able to return it), and seeing if it's better on the existing DVI cable with a converter to HDMI or whether i should use the DVI>HDMI converter that came with the graphics card and run HDMI cable to it. I am SO confused and frustrated by all of this!

Last edited: 13 Aug 2008
Tags: