1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: AMGPC - Updated 8-29: More Handle Work

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Indybird, 15 Aug 2008.

1. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

[​IMG]
    Project AMGPC (Auxiliary Mobile Gaming PC) SFF

Alright, heres my first real mod (as in, my own computer). This will be my Small Form Factor LAN machine for when I'm
    A) playing older games and
    B) when I don't feel like taking my main system.
    I started off with a mildly cool dell server case (as seen in my rediculous case problem thread), but when I went to cut the side panel, my fine metal cutting blade tore it up real bad. I dunno what metal they used but that blade could not cut it clean for the world.

So I went and got a new case from my friend. He had a few old computers that he wasnt using, and I took all of them back home. For this mod I chose the case from an E-Machines etower 600is. There are two big problems with it:
    First, the floppy bay is in the way of the RAM on the micro ATX board that Im using.
    Second, the power supply mount isn't standard, and is very small.

Sadly I didnt take any pictures of the untouched case, but here are some from google:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I gutted it and prepared it for my system:
    -Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Hyperthreading, Socket 478
    -1GB (4 x 256MB) DDR 400 RAM
    -Sony Vaio (ASUS-made) Micro-ATX Mobo
    -evga Geforce FX5900 128MB AGP 8X Graphics Card
    -Dual Hitachi 120GB IDE HDDs (One for Windows XP, other for storage)
    -LG 16X IDE DVD-ROM
    -Dell 350W PSU

Heres a picture of all of that:
    [​IMG]

I started modding without taking pictures, but took some after the initial modding was done. The pictures were on my friends digital camera, so I won't be able to post them until Thursday.

Anyway, here are my plans:
    [X] Remove 3.5" mount to make room for new mobo
    [X] Adjust PSU Mount to fit standard PSUs
    [X] Cut holes for dual 80mm Blue LED fans in the back
    [X] Cut holes for dual 120mm Blue LED fans in the front
    [X] Cut top/side panel piece in two, forming a door (on the left) and case covering on the right and top.
    [/] Cut and Mount side panel Window
    [X] Make a hard drive mounting rack that mounts on the bottom of the case
    [ ] Install Case handle and fabricate indent
    [/] Make a new front panel that mounts over the fans.
    [ ] Buy a new power button and mount it on the back
    [ ] Fill in the e-machines "e" on the right side panel
    [ ] Fill in USB Port attempts on front panel
    [ ] Stealth DVD Drive
    [ ] Panel interior to cover up original case holes
    [ ] Paint Exterior/Interior gloss black
    [ ] Paint back panel flat black
    [ ] Buy a wireless card

Update #1

I've already cut the 3.5" mount off so that I could install the mobo, and cut and drill the new opening and mounts for the standard PSU (I'll post the pictures of that tomorrow).

I should be able to update this tomorrow, but at the latest it'll be thursday.

-Indybird

Last edited: 29 Aug 2008
  2. Indybird

Update #2

Sorry about no pictures still, but I'll have some for the 3rd update 100% for sure.

First thing I did was cut the top and side panel into two pieces. Thanks to the lock loop and the screw, the top and right side panel stay in place, but I'm going to screw them down so that it is solid. I now have a standard side-door that opens and closes somewhat normal.

After that, I got the window opening shaped up and cut. I kept the perforated part on the bottom, and had the window go the rest of the length of the side. I also kept the handle-indent, because though I don't need it to slide the door off, it looks kinda cool.

-Indybird

3. Indybird

Update #3 - Hard Drive Mount and Front Fans

Alright I finally have pics! One sad piece of news though, all of the pictures I had taken before this somehow got erased. So I only have pictures from this point on. I updated the main post with a picture of all of my components.

So lets get started.

I've removed the I/O Panel/Expansion slot piece so that I could trim something on it and so that it would be easier to paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now onto the hard drive mount. I'm going to cut it out of the side window cut-out piece. Here it is all drawn up.
    [​IMG]

I cut them out and proceeded to bend the tab and drill the mounting holes.
    [​IMG]

Finished that all up and mounted the hard drives to check and see if everything fits. It fits and looks great! I made sure to leave about a quarter inch between the drives for airflow and whatnot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture w/ the mobo and gfx card in to give you a general idea of the layout.
    [​IMG]

I decided to file the sharp corners on the mount to make it smoother and cleaner.
    [​IMG]

I drilled the front fan holes and mounted the fans just to see how it looked.
    [​IMG]

I proceeded to cut out the opening for the fans, but didn't finish the right side (left in this view) because the case was too weak in the front. I'm going to put some support bars in, then finish cutting the opening.
    [​IMG]

I did a rough non-final cut to see how its going to look with the plastic part of the front panel mounted.
    [​IMG]

Next updates will be comin tomorrow.

-Indybird

4. Indybird

Since I don't want to pay $20 + Shipping for case handles from modding websites, I checked out Lowes.com. After a bit of searching I found this:
    [​IMG]
    Heres a link.

In addition to it looking pretty sweet and being really cheap, I can just go pick it up instead of waiting and paying for shipping. I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.

-Indybird

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Is that HDD mount going to stop you from fitting a thicker graphics card?

Those two big Fans will look awesome filling the front of the little case, nice find with the handles!

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

considering its a second machine, and AGP based SKT graphics, i dont think he is really that worried..

Nice mod chap, you got lucky with the front 120mm fans, just squeezing two on the front like that.

7. Indybird

Actually, while I was holding the motherboard inside the case there, I just let it rest on the bottom of the case instead of holding it where it would mount. I made sure there was enough room to put a full-size dual slot graphics card.

-Indybird

8. Indybird

Update #4 - Window Acrylic & Front Panel Cont'd

I headed over to my local Lowes and got that handle special ordered, bought some gloss-black spray paint and got a 18"x24" piece of clear acrylic.

I got the acrylic taped and marked up.
    [​IMG]

I proceeded to cut it out and check the fit. I forgot to take pictures after I drilled the mounting holes, but I don't think you'll mind ;)
    [​IMG]

I then turned my attention to this guy. Got him all marked up. I marked it up and found out that once I cut this out and click it back into place it will rest flush with the fans!
    [​IMG]

I can't use the jigsaw to cut this because the blade just melts the plastic. Since I am severely lacking in a dremel I had to use a fine hand saw: that took for ever. I didn't hollow out the bottom for the fan yet, but I couldn't wait to see how it looked so I took the bottom fan out and popped the front panel back on.
    [​IMG]

Sure enough, it is flush. This will make it really easy to attach the new front panel piece.
    [​IMG]

I finally finished hollowing out the bottom area and now the bottom fan fits also:
    [​IMG]

Also flush:
    [​IMG]

Lastly, heres a picture with the side panel (minus window), top panel and front panel on.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I need to cut out the 80mm fan holes for the back. I really don't feel like doing it because that will required several hours on my not-so-favorite tool the jigsaw. Other than that I might get started on finishing the front panel, or even mounting the USB ports, power button and LEDs.

Anyway, I should be able to work on this tomorrow and give you guys an update.

-Indybird

9. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Looking nice:p it's amazing that some of the best looking mods are the most simple to execute (Picturing the above in gloss black)

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

With the fans and all it reminds me of Silverstone SG03 case :) Keep it up!

11. Indybird

Update #5 - Rear fans, Mounting the Window, Mounting the Hard Drives

Sadly there's a lot of bad news in this thread. First is bad news #1, remember I said I left the camera at the workshop? Well when I came back today, all of the pictures were gone. I retook the pictures of the rear fans but forgot the hard drive mount and windows.

So anyway, I went to the hardware store and picked myself up $10 worth of hex-head screws for the Window, Hard Drive and Front Panel.

First thing I do is take the painters tape off of the window. (Heres bad news #2) All around all of the screw holes the acrylic was crumbled and/or cracked. So, I don't let that stop me, and I trace out a new window. This time I drill it with a newer drill at lower speeds. This time it was ok.

I proceeded to mount the window on to the side panel. Now I'll have pictures tomorrow, but I can tell you right now that it looks pretty damn good.

Next thing to do was drill the holes for the hard drive mount. This was pretty straight forward and simple, but none-the-less here comes bad news #3. The sound card I decided to put in this system is too long; it hits the hard drives. I haven't started on a new mount yet because I've ran out of metal.

Next up I cut out the fan holes for the dual 80mm fans in the back. Thankfully this turned out pretty good. I believe I have become the master of detail-work on a jig saw.

But since this update was universally destined to be bad, something went wrong. Bad news #4 While I was marking the drill holes for the fan, the clamp I was using slipped (without me noticing). I proceed to drill all 8 of the holes, mounted the fans and guess what? They didnt fit.

Heres a picture of the half decent fan holes job:
    [​IMG]

And heres a blurry closeup of the terrible screw holes alignment.
    [​IMG]

That can be salvaged though: for the final build I will be using standard bolts with nuts. The bolts will be much thinner so I'll have some room to align the fans properly.

Oh and heres the last bad news (#5). My plans were to put USB ports on the front of the computer. So I began that process today. I drilled the holes, mounted it and traced the opening for the USB ports. Well lets just say that after I traced it and cut it out, it wasn't pretty. This is really my fault but it is still bad news. I actually took a picture of this hack-job, but I'm not posting them on here; its that bad.

So I'm gonna pick myself up some bondo, cover that up and completely forget about front mounting USB ports. I actually like the idea of the front panel being 100% clean; no buttons, no ports. So I've changed my plans and moved the power button location to the back and completely nixed the USB ports.

Sorry about the depressing update, but I'm not done. I'll end it on a positive note. One of my 120mm fans was missing molex connectors and one of my 80mm fans were shorting because the LED contacts were exposed. So I fixed those and took some pictures of the lovely blue LEDs.
    [​IMG]
    I bought a Scythe KAMA-Meter Fan controller a while ago for my main computer and reviewed it on The Best Case Scenario, heres a link. Anyways, I decided to remove it from my main computer and put it in this computer. The reason I did is because I use digital audio on my main PC and I thought it was kinda cheesy to have the analog audio decibel meter on the fan controller when it does nothing.
    Heres a picture of it turned on:
    [​IMG]

So anyway, I should be updating tomorrow. Since I'm flat broke I wont be able to start working on the front panel or start a new hard drive mount. So we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.

-Indybird

Last edited: 21 Aug 2008
  12. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Wow, can't believe I missed this one. Looking pretty sexy dude :thumb: Loving that display.

In fact, I do recognise you from thebestcasescenario. Your posts are long :p

13. Indybird

Update #6 - Sanding and Preparing the handle for Mounting

I've made some changes to my plans. I will for sure be stealthing the DVD-Drive, and I will also be adding metal panels over the bare case areas inside the computer. In the front it will add support, and in the rest of the case it will clean up all of the strange holes E-Machines put in the metal.

I figured since I got nothing better to do and I don't have enough money for Bondo or more screws, I'd sand the side panels.

I got started on the side door.
    [​IMG]

Moved onto the top and right side panel piece. I didn't bother sanding the "e" because I will just be bondo-ing over that later.
    [​IMG]

Checked how it looked back on the computer:
    [​IMG]

And the window panel also. Thats my poor friend that I've bored to death from several hours of modding.
    [​IMG]

Began marking the cuts for the handle opening
    [​IMG]

Since I'll be reinforcing the front panel real soon, I thought I'd finally finish cutting the opening.
    [​IMG]

And lastly before I go, I got some good news. My new kitchen drawer pull came in the mail! It is absolutely perfect in appearance and size. Since theres no reason to wait, I drilled the holes on the perfectly sized case supports and did a test mount.
    [​IMG]

This handle isn't just for looks. I will be carrying this case around a lot, and this handle and mount (which will be further reinforced later) can take the weight no problem.
    [​IMG]

I dunno when the next update will be, but I'm planning on making the handle indent, which will be pretty sweet. I get paid on Tuesday, and will go out and get myself some bondo, and possibly some more bolts.

-Indybird

14. Indybird

Update #7 - Separating the side panel, adding the handle recess

After a long while I'm finally updating again. I went to the auto parts store and picked myself up some bondo, but I won't be using it until the next update. Today, I will be getting started on the handle recess.

I already had everything marked up, so I got to cutting and bending it:
    [​IMG]

I then proceeded to shape, cut then bend the piece of metal that is going in the recessed area.
    [​IMG]

When I break out the bondo I will be filling those cracks and it will be part of the top panel.

Speaking of the top panel, before I cleaned up for the night I decided to cut the right side panel off, and make it a piece of its own.
    [​IMG]

Next update is coming Sunday or Monday I think. I will be bondo-ing everything and will possibly get started on adding the sheet metal parts.

-Indybird

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Wow bad news bears that sucks

but it's still looking pretty good :thumb:

16. Indybird

Well, I'm afraid I still don't have any updates on the project, but I just wanted to let you all know that it isn't dead. I've been so busy with school and related tasks that I just haven't had enough time to mod.

I will be 100% getting back to this in November. All this time has allowed me to think of some very cool ideas.

-Indybird

Tags: