1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

What sort of speed/IPS are you getting with your nvidia cards?

2. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

How long does it take people to complete a work unit on their GPU? As my 8800GTS is averaging about 3 hours per WU.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

For me it's taking 5 hours, unfortunately the FAH coders are slower than an old asian woman driving and haven't updated yet, hence the client is only using 320 out of my 800 shaders and isn't well optimised at all.

Can't wait to see what this baby can do when it's running at full pelt.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I don't really know as I am new to folding. But it says ~700ns when I open it but slows down when I have the graphic showing to about 400ns, so I leave it with a blank screen.
    For one work unit it takes ~2.5 hours.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

How do you know its only using 320 out of 800 shaders?

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

FAH forums, it's hardwired into the code apparently.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

who is TAG??
    doing 4,320 points in 24 hours? must have gtx280 or something.

i mean, i fold nearly 24/7 and only producing around 2,000. see here

8. echostrike

echostrike What's a Dremel?

Hey I am new here but I love folding. Thinking of getting a folding farm going-- how active is the folding community here at bit-tech? I joined the team a couple of days ago b/c I love the site. Also, what is the avg pts/day I should be looking at as 'good'

Thanks!

9. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

what do you mean how active is the folding community? People fold, some fold very little, some lots. And good is any points as it all helps the cause.

10. wyx087

i fold nearly 24/7 with my 8800GTX, and just started doing one SMP folding on my quad core.

but probably won't continue doing 24/7 come October, when i have to pay for my own bills.

11. echostrike

hmmmm electricity bill eh? Yeah now you've got me thinking :lol:

I've had my ps3, and two other computers folding for 24/hr day recently. One rig has a 8800gts 512 in it.

I wonder what my electricity bill will look like

oh well-- anythng for science!

PS-

It has been funny, since Ive began folding ppl are randomly donating their old computers to me. My house is filling up and I'll soon have to stop accepting them!!! oh well.

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You'll never stop accepting old crap. You'll think it's useful or you could do something cool with it even though you can't. It's a hardware enthusiast's weakness.

13. echostrike

wow-- you are totally right. I feel like my palm has just been read haha.

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

We are getting surpassed people, we need more contributors.
    Graph

15. wyx087

that graph doesn't show in IE or Chrome.....

this shows we are getting to be under 300 in team ranking soon. so how are we getting surpassed?

16. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

My 8800GT is doing about 1200 its/sec at the moment - that's with the slider at about 50%. It's also clocked-down to automatically in windows to 525/1350/1600Mhz to save power/heat/the world.

Gunning it, I can do 3000 its/sec (at 700/1700/2000Mhz) but it does sound like angry wasps have been trapped in my case.

RivaTuner has been really useful for setting this up. In windows, my typical 50% folding load gives about 63 deg C, though in gaming it goes up to about 75C - so I set the overclock profiles to be linked to temperature. When it goes above 70C, it kicks in the higher clock speeds (and higher fan too)... I'm probably not the first person to think of this but I'm quite pleased anyway.

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Quite the opposite of normal clocking software though lol. But what happens if i's a really hot day? Or a very cold one?
    I have my 8800GT running when I can, but the missus doesn't like me leaving the computer on and I use my Laptop most of the time (which is also running it on the T9300)
    I have 20000 points so far, must get more. Does anyone know if the bit servers and the staffs rigs run Folding? Probably not on the server.

18. pistol_pete

Usually my flat is about 20 degrees so it doesn't really make a difference.

yeah, it is the opposite of normal overlcoking, kind of ironic. I also set an event so if it gets too hot (>85C, I think) it clocks down and ups the fan even more, though that's never happened.

19. wyx087

people usually do the opposit when the card goes above a certain temperature :)

won't it be better (folding wise and gaming performance-wise) just to pause it when gaming?

i set my Rivatuner to auto fan between range of 55 and 80. so it usually runs at 70, with fan speed of 85%. making a small whooshing noise which isn't a lot louder than other parts. but with CPU client, the case temperature heats up from origianl ~32 to ~36 :(

20. pistol_pete

Oh, I do pause it when gaming. I even need to pause it when watching a full-screen youtube video.

The idea behind the clocking-down is to save power... but still have every Mhz available when gaming.

I should probably start folding on CPU as well, that always went well (if not slowly).

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.