1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Best legal mp3 site

Discussion in 'General' started by dogdude16, 19 Aug 2008.

1. dogdude16

dogdude16 What's a Dremel?

Plain and simple I am looking for a cheap legal way to download mp3's. Limewire sucks and I'd rather not use Itunes music store.

So far the best place I found was emusic.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2008
  2. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

Amazon mp3 for sure. It's almost always less than the $10/album $1/song pricing on itunes, DRM-free, and acceptable 256kbps bitrate. The downloader is pretty slick considering they don't make any library software (I use osx and itunes, but it should work well with windows and wmp too). Give it a look.

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Ill chime in with another vote for emusic. rather nice to find music that i cannot get anywhere else.. music taste is electro so it sort of gives. just do not expect to find any major labels there..

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

If you are into electronic music Beatport is the way to go. Huge collection and good prices (0.99€ - 2,49€) for a single song. Also whole albums and collections for download

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

http://amiestreet.com/

goes from a few pence a track to about £1 i think. It was a while since I used it because it didn't have my kinda music. Worth checking out though because it does start dirty cheap.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

/can of worms

I'm still lost - what's wrong with buying a CD and actually owning music these days rather than just owning the right to listen to something half as good?

/opened.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a CD, I'll buy CDs of whichever artists I think I'll like (see: faithless/hybrid/Rob Dougan). I tend to go online for obscure songs where I don't want to pay for the whole album because I only like one particular song (see: Video Games Live, although if their debut CD was much better I would have bought that instead).

Besides, who says that just because it's on download it's half as good? The way I see it, the only thing that differentiates between CD and MP3 is the fact that one comes on a physical disc, and has a jewel case etc. The music is still the same right?

I take your can of worms and hang them on the end of a flame-baiting fishing line! Hehe!

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yarly. ebay Cheesecake.

i believe that by "half as good" bindi was referring to the music being compressed in a lossy format. which is A Bad Thing as far as longevity is concerned.

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

An MP3 will last longer than a CD if you keep updating the storage (ie moving it to newer HDDs from time to time) so unless you are cataloging music in an underground storage facility so the survivors of the apocalypse will have something to listen to, MP3s are fine for "normies".

10. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I don't think there's any real reason to limit yourself to just one source, as long as you stay far, far away from drm. For example, if the emusic thing works for you, you could do that and then go with amazon or beatport or a CD for things that emusic doesn't have. All of the aforementioned stores let you import them into your favorite music library, so it'll all play nice.

That's all assuming you're fine with compressed music. If you aren't then CDs are really the only way to go. But as long as you're not way concerned about quality, 256kbps isn't bad at all and is certainly better than most anything on Limewire.

11. Fod

no, silly. rip to lossless. thats why i buy my CDs. the CDs then go into storage as a final resort if my backups ever fail.

and anyone who says mp3 is fine for normies has never actually sat down with a >£100 hifi and listened to the difference it makes.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2009
  12. OldSnakeWontDie

OldSnakeWontDie What's a Dremel?

The hell with that. I'm never getting rid of my vinyls. Although they do sound a bit sped up. Tiny bit (I thought they'd fix it by now). I love the sound of vinyl.

13. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I like rhapsody. Join and get a free album download. Then you can download MP3's in a zip file so you don't have to install their software.

14. mattthegamer463

Download FLAC? I doubt you'll find a legal FLAC site though...

And I've sat down with snazzy units and I can't hear the difference between 320kbps CBR and a CD. I am by no way a trained ear, but there is no realistic difference between the two. An Oscope might show otherwise but only your ears are relevant.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Seconded if you want straight MP3s, easiest and no question about legality. And I've already got an Amazon account and can't be bothered to sign up elsewhere.

Though as I've got Amazon Prime and the CDs are usually just a buck more, I tend to just buy the disc and rip it at whatever I feel like. The extra day or two doesn't hurt me, as I've already grabbed it off TPB or whatever and am content with the 128k version until the real deal shows up. Especially as there are about three tracks out there where I'll notice a difference; I don't run a HiFi but don't have a $15 set of speakers either (I just don't know what to listen for, and I'll keep it that way thank you very much, lest I find yet another money sink).

(see? I use piracy as sampling, and buy what's good)

16. Fod

there are a fewwwwwwww sites out there that let you download lossless. you're right in saying that most people can't tell the difference. on my hifi, an improvement can be heard, but it's slight. still, i prefer to be listening to the best sound i can get :). the main reason i go with it over 320k MP3 is that i can transcode to whatever future formats that may come along with no generational loss, and i have the space. i never, ever want to go through the hassle of re-ripping my CD collection again.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

exactly. far too few people understand this crucial point :sigh:

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The advantage of buying mp3's I find is for singular tracks that you like or getting albums that you can't find over here in the UK. I like country so I have to get the CD's imported alot of the time, or I just buy the mp3's from various sources (the other week, Stuey very kindly bought one of them of Amazon.com for me because we can't get it in the UK).

19. mattthegamer463

I find my Altec Lansing 4.1 set on my PC sounds superior to anything else I have. If you think about the music in layers, like a sort of 3D music score, I can pick out many more "tracks" especially with music that has many loops and imbedded sounds, things that aren't really part of the music but when combined make the song what it is.

For example, the lead singer doing multiple voice tracks in the chorus at different pitches and stuff, they aren't identifiable on a low quality speaker set, but with higher quality units you can pick up on these and the music seems much deeper. Its impossible to explain but it means the world.

On a side note, my new toy:

[​IMG]

It has quite a noticable warming quality, really makes lower bitrate audio sound better. It removes the grossness that symbols and sharp sounds cause sometimes.

20. moonlight

moonlight What's a Dremel?

As per my experience Amazon mp3 is good source.

Tags: