1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rattner: Machines more intelligent than us by 2050

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. RallyRoach

RallyRoach What's a Dremel?

I for one welcome our new robot overlords...

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

^lol

Lots of potential for good here, but Man being man i'm sure that there is even more potential for evil.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

They already are a lot more intelligent then some people are right now... And that's even when they are turned off...

5. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

it should be a sooner date, they didn't factor in the decline of human intelligence. Don't know what's worse the media, the education system or the additives in the food.

6. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

What also isn't factored in is cybornetic implants, and preconception genetic alteration. Moral rights take a second seat when you are on the verge of being enslaved by sentinels.

7. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I have researched artificial intelligence (or A.I) many times over the years, but at the end of the day, these robots would have to defend their own power stations if they wanted to take over, or holy LaWd, *pulls the batteries out*. *AHAHAHA OMFG THEY GOT SOLAR PANELS ON THEIR HEAD!!!! RUN!!!! RUN FOR DARKNESS!!!!

8. ParaHelix.org

I suppose the entire topic depends on what you define as intelligence.

9. ParaHelix.org

Take over? motive people? anyone got any motive for these robots to "take over"? think they have evil human brains and one is gonna go all Nazi on us? I think people are watching iRobot too many times. If anything in the future (very distant future, havnt we only just invented robots that can stand up,,,and fall?) did happen then it would only be out very own initial programming that it would follow.

10. ParaHelix.org

AHHH GET THE EMP BOMBS READY!

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Ignorance is bliss!

12. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

im not as confident as he is. 42years is a long time in technological terms but for robots to truly become more intelligent than humans there have to be a few drastic changes. At the moment all these robots use fixed algorithms, they "learn" by analyzing and changing their data sets. We needs robots able to re-write their own algorithms, allowing to change the way they learn and actually learn new things, things their initial programming didnt cater for.

Yes the arm that goes mental for an apple while shouting odd things is a bit unnerving, but at the end of the day... dude its going mental.... over an APPLE. If that doesnt make you laugh untill it just looks pathetic instead of scary....

Anyway I will be fine my degree is in AI and Robotics so if robots kill you all they will be my robots. mwuahhahaha

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Exactly my tought everytime I manage to get myself trapped in the Apple subforum... :D

I'll be good now

14. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I doubt anything can pass as human until they work out quantum (light transistors) and even then it will need to be 'dynamic' to learn things in a 'human' way ... could be much less than 40 years could be much more...

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would love to get a cybernetic implant.... imagine accessing the internet any time and download knowledge about stuff almost instantly, like in the matrix. it is a shame that the other side of the coin is total annihilation....

16. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

not sure if he picked 2050 because of this, but...
    there's this series of competitions for primary, high school and university (post-grad) students called Robocup, which has the ultimate goal of having a team of humanoid, fully autonomous robots play (and beat) the World Cup soccer winners by 2050... look around on youtube, there's some incredible stuff out already
    in case you couldn't tell, this is a topic close to my heart ^_^

17. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

I have AI this year in college, Im looking forward to it. so much so I bought Artificial Intelligence: a modern approach in anticipation, so its fair to say this topic is close to my heart.

I fear politicians more than robots. Robots will never take over the world, no more than a child can control their parents entire lives. Sure they can whine until they make them go to the shops, but ultimately they are dependant on the parents. Thats how I see robots - our children.

Politics *have* put robots in the battlefield (UAV's for instance), Humanoid robots are the next step. I fear that a robot soldier, lacking compassion - or any human 'instinct' has no right being on the battlefield. For a start, it makes the entire concept of war even more ridiculous than it already is.

So yeah... robots COULD take over the world. but only if we allow it.

Im not convinced it would be a terrible thing in anycase :p

18. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

yay, the technological singularity (wiki it).
    I wouldn't mind getting rid of this meatbag of a body and having it replaced with some mirror polished alu and a few pointy and lasering appendages.
    HALF SHARK, HALF ROBOT, ALL MAN!

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think it would be very cool to have a robot that can learn new things

20. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Acording to Moors law:

2015 A supercomputer will surpass average human intelligence
    2050 A supercomputer will surpass the combined intellegenceof the human race and a 2000$ computer will surpass average human intelligence

I'll see if I can find a video of this later

Tags: Add Tags