1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows When In-Game Ads Attack!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by themax, 23 Aug 2008.

1. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Verdict? Kinda fits in personally. This is a screenshot I took this morning in City of Villains. NCSoft has an option to disable the in-game ads but this is my first time encountering one in the game.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They've made the ads in burnout paradise fit better now as well, there's some Bad Company ads in there, and the Coke advert which was EVERYWHERE has dissappeared.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

yeah doesnt look too bad tbh in fact i quite like it makes the game more "real"

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ads doesn't make a game more real. That is what the companies that wants to put ads in the games wants you to believe.
    If a game has 1 single ad, it should be automatically free... not to cash in some more, especially on the ridiculously high price the games are now.

5. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Yes they do, Ads are everywhere in the real world and if most games are tying to be as close to the real world as they can why not have real ads that earn the game company money instead of fake/spoof adverts?
    As long as it's not in the form of popups or in anyway obtrusive to the player I don't see why it'd make a difference, I'd rather see real ads in games anyday.

6. 13eightyfour

Totally disagree, when i walk/drive around where i live im bombarded with adverts for REAL products, subway, coke, pepsi etc.. so when a game designer/developer chooses to include or advertise real world products into there games it does make a more real experience (If i was playing a game that was based around my hometown id want it to look like it! fake ads annoy me because they have no purpose at all) Yes its all marketing at the end of the day but id rather see ads for real products.

7. GoodBytes

So I would imagine you enjoy the all the spam in your e-mail box... I mean it gives you the same feel as in real life when you get all those ads in your mail box.

If you enjoy ads, you are probably the type of person that spends more then actually earn.

Or how about but nothing! Because the houses won't look the same either way, and your face won't be in the game.

When I buy a game, I want a game, not buy an advertisement pack. If I wanted this I would just look at the shopping Channel on TV... it's free!

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

We see placement in films. We see them in text. I'm not personally bothered by their placement in another medium, video games.

9. 13eightyfour

Yes but nobodies forcing you to view the in game ads are they? if you dont want to read/view them then dont! Yes if ads started appearing in stupid places and werent in keeping with the game style then yes it would annoy me too. but if they fit i cant see a problem.

and no i dont spend more than i earn, and i wouldnt buy anything based solely on an advertisment anyway im not that fickle.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You dont have to buy the products.

:worried:
    but you WANT to, right?
    :worried:

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, BUT, when you play a realistic game like ArmA/OpFlashpoint etc do you want real weapon names? Do you want realistic bullet casings? Do you want a realistic looking reload sequence? Do you want a realistic weapon characteristic?

In a way, putting a gun in a game with the real name is just an advert for the gun-makers too!

When I virtually walk down a street that's modelled with realism, I want adverts that I'd see in real life, I want the empty crisp packets to float with the wind, I want to see people walking past with their shopping, or if it's near a McDonalds, see them with McDonalds cups and bags.

Adverts are a good thing IF they're done properly. Naff adverts in rubbish places can spoil a game.

Regardless of how they're placed, why is getting more money to a dev/publishing house bad? If we can help support them that little bit more, and maybe help them claw back a tiny amount of money even for those copies which are pirated by unscrupulous peoples.

12. BenKxK

BenKxK 4870!

Ads in games are bad idea, you already get enough advertising at the start of the game. In a few years you'll have to go through 5 minutes of advertising that you wont be able to skip at the start of the game.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Enough advertising at the start of the game? There's no commercially paid for advertising there, only the publisher/developers

14. BenKxK

BenKxK 4870!

Yeah but i don't want to see that, i know who makes it, its already on the case and the book! I just want to get straight into the game.

15. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Billboards are freaking illegal in Alaska. They should be banned everywhere, freaking eyesores on the landscape. I have ad block running on my browser, if a web site doesn't work with it, I don't go to that web site, I've pretty much stopped listening to the radio because of all the commercials. I don't watch live tv any more, now we've got tv shows with ads in them (Eureka). People call my house trying to sell me stuff, even though I'm on that "do not call" list, I think that's pretty much the same as the "click this link to stop us spamming you" crap in the so far one or two spam emails that make it though the filters. If games start having ads in them I won't be buying them either. Whoever's dumb ass idea this was should be taken out back and beaten.

16. GoodBytes

+1 to barry99705 and BenKxK
    I do like barry99705.

Does ads made better games? NO! They are still ass buggy and few AAA titles, and the programmers still don't get paid properly (ie: EA). Blizzard don't have this issues. Even on BattleNet (which is free except for World of Warcraft, of course) they only show mostly ads from them, and the few that are not from blizzard helps to pay for the service.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's because they have one of the most successful games in history with probably the highest revenue for any game ever.

18. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

TBH it sounds like you're putting way more effort into avoiding adverts than actually ends up being worth it.

The only 'adverts' that annoy me are pop ups and spam email. I don't get spam e-mail and my browser blocks pop-ups.

If we have the choice of spoof/fake ads versus real ads in games I'd rather have the real ads.
    If we have the choice of no ads or real ads in games then I'd rather have no ads.

19. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

So you expect everything handed to you for free? The bandwidth you're using to view this site was paid for by bit-tech, and they get money to cover their costs from ads on the site. By blocking ads you're being a freeloader and screwing over the very sites that are providing you with entertainment. Or did you think that the money you paid for your internet access was shared out to every site you look at?

20. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Advertising in games (and on this website) is the same principle as advertising in print--in newspaper. Most of us skip over the ads, small, half-page, full-page. But, for every hundred of us skipping those ads completely, there is at least one in need of their services who will read it.

As I've said earlier, there needs to be alternative versions of media. You pay a premium for your quality, advertisement-free BBC programming. We pay for web community memberships for ad-free usage. If you want justified ad-free viewing and eliminate free-loaders, why not pay extra for ad-free news print? Why not pay extra for an ad-free version of a game?

Tags: