1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google/iPlayer thinks I'm in Ireland!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NaNeil, 13 Aug 2008.

1. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

For the past week or so, google is convinced I am in Ireland, and going to google.com brings me up all the options for google.ie, very annoying!

Even worse though, bbc iplayer or the bbc sport website refuse to let me stream any clips, stating I am in the wrong territory. What is going on?! My ISP is virgin.. Testing using a geolocation site like ip2location.com gives me:

Code:
    Live Demo Using IP2Location™ - August 2008  	

IP Address 	: 	82.25.65.[hiddenforprivacy]
    Location 	: 	UNITED KINGDOM, ENGLAND, OXFORD
    Latitude / Longitude 	: 	51.754 LATITUDE, -1.254 LONGITUDE
    Connecting through 	: 	NTLI
    Time Zone 	: 	UTC +00:00
    Net Speed 	: 	DSL

Which is correct.. Does anyone have any ideas? I found 1 thread about this on cableforum, and forcing the browser to use webcache.virginmedia.com as a proxy is a workaround, but it means stuff like typing keywords into the address bar fails, and doesn't fix the underlying issue :(

Thanks!

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Did you try rebooting your router?

3. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Yup, and cable modem.. my ip is an ntl oxford one, so I don't understand where this is coming from!

4. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

For reference in case anyone with the same issue finds this thread - it does indeed seem to be an ntl: issue. I forced my router to get a new WAN ip address by spoofing in the MAC address of my pc instead of using the routers own address - I was issued a new internet IP and things now work correctly..

If I swap the MACs back, I am reissued the old IP, and the internet thinks I'm irish again! So I guess this is a fix until ntl sort themselves out, or until my old allocation expires..

5. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

May be worth chasing ntl: about it as they presumably have acquired a range of IP #s for use in UK that were previously allocated to an Irish ISP and they haven't got around to updating the Geographic database associated with IP #s ranges (that's assuming that Google & BBC are quite hot at using an upto date version of the database)

6. narelloc

narelloc What's a Dremel?

In Ireland - not in fact

GeoIP correctly locates me in UK and not in Ireland so is it really down to NTL/Virgin? I am in Oxfordshire.

7. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Having the same issue too narelloc? I was hoping it would be fixed by now as iPlayer update their databases monthly, and if ntl:/virgin had let them know as they are meant to it should be resolved by now...

GeoIP always said I was in the correct place (UK/Oxfordshire), but it's just iPlayer and stuff like BBC sport and google that argued, so they must all use the same 3rd party company...

Definitely down to ntl / virgin as it seems to be a whole set of IP addresses. To fix it, just force a new IP by the methods I outlined above.

Tags: