1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help with painting an aluminium edge?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mhiran, 28 Aug 2008.

1. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

I am currently making a new htpc that requires the thick front panel of the case to be cut in order to mount an LCD behind it...
    Now i have made the cut, but as the case has a brushed aluminium finish, i want to tidy up the cut or finish it somehow to make it look more presentable.
    Below are photos of the cut, and you will see what i mean.

(Additionally i need to find some way of hiding the logo that is present on the top left of the cut if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated)

Cheers
    :baby:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Its too late now but if you wish to retain the factory finish on a panel and the edges of a cut after you have cut it heres what you need to do:

-Mask off the panel entirely using a broad masking tape... this prevents scratches and scores.
    -Mark out and make your cut on the masked off panel.
    -Clean off the edges of your cut however you can (filing, deburring etc)
    -LEAVE the panel masked and spray the area around the cut with an etch primer, then a colour aerosol that closely matches the factory finish of the case. Most factory finishes these days are brushed alu in anodised silver or black, or simply black paint, so you can use a matt/satin black on brushed anodised alu and an alloy wheel silver on silver panels like the ones on the V2K cases.

Only thing you can do in your situation is very carefully mask off the cut and shoot the colour over it... as for the logo whats it put on there in? if its paint some thinners rubbed gently over it should lift it right off there without damaging the black finish.

Hope that helps!

3. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help i have a couple questions..

Im not sure about what the logo actually is made from. Wouldn't the paint thinner damage the black finish?

Also should I use a self etching primer on the bit that i've carefully masked off first before the black?

Thanks

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

- If the panel is an anodised alloy panel made of an alu alloy it shouldnt do... but be very gentle if you are going to do it or better still try rubbing a scrap piece of the panel with thinners first of all (your offcut would be ideal) in case it does!

- Yes, prime the edge before you colour coat it otherwise the paint wont take to the panel and will chip/ flake very easily.

I only asked if the logo was a factory painted one, im not sure about that... it may well be laser etched in there or something... some real closeup photos would help me tell what it is.

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Black sharpie. Seriously. Run the edge of the felt tip round the edge of the cut. If you mess up, it can be sanded off in about 2 seconds (not so much if you mess up the front though!).

6. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Thanks lads, come out really nice!