1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Gooey_GUI, 29 Aug 2008.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

x

Last edited: 28 Feb 2017
  2. Gooey_GUI

x

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm listening to her now, so far I'm not too impressed.
    Within two minutes of opening her speech she managed to mention 9/11 at least three times and has now moved onto talking down both Iran and Russia.
    She has even managed to throw in McCain's POW experience, and her son enlisting into the Army, however failed to mention any single policy statement.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Looks like Obama's gonna be paying off Hillary's campaign debts now...

5. Vers

Vers ...

McCain and his POW experience is starting to get extremely old. Every time I hear a speech its 'health care...taxes...yada yada...when I was a POW' stfu already--enough with the sympathy card. That's one guy I'd really like to punch in the throat.

6. Gooey_GUI

x

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

She is female. She is young(ish). She has not been beaten with the ugly stick, and is not too bright. She is deeply conservative. She has the sympathy factor for having a disabled child and a son going to war. She is in a mixed-race relationship. She is in the oil business, and she doesn't mind bending ethics a little. Ticks all the boxes. :thumb:

8. Gooey_GUI

x

9. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I so hope Obama wins, If McCain wins its only going to get worse, there is hope with obama atleast.

10. Major

Major Guest

LOL @ McCain winning, but tbh if Obama get assasinated (****ing hope he does not), it would not exactly suprise me...

11. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

What's wrong with that? BP owns most of the equipment up there. I'd say 3/4 of the work force up there aren't even Alaska residents, pisses off every one when they get a dividend.

12. Gooey_GUI

x

13. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

McCain is another bloody bush. GO OBAMA
    I find huffingtonpost always covers the lastest news on u.s elections

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Hillary supporters aren't going to head toward the McCain ticket just because he picked Palin as VP candidate. Between being highly conservative and a staunch opponent of abortion rights, she doesn't fit the bill.

15. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

The term 'cougar' springs to mind...

:p

16. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Vice Presidents usually have little effect on the outcome of an election but this is McCain shooting himself in the face here. His key criticism on Obama that almost any undecided voter can somewhat agree with has been that Obama is "under-experienced" to lead the country. The most famous explaination of what the "best" choice for a vice president is, I can't remember the source, that they must be-able to be prepared at any point to become president, in some ways they should be more qualified. Obama recognised that and tapped Biden not only because Biden's experience balances out Obama's "inexperience" public image but if Obama is removed from office, people would feel find with Biden taking control. McCain's strategy here was wait to see if Obama selected Clinton as the VP, if not...he chooses a woman to try pull those votes from the Clinton Campaign who were influenced by the idea of progressiveness in electing a woman to power (thatcher lawl). The **** up is that the woman he has chosen is the most inexperienced politician in the entire States and if you can find one person happy to give presidency to a woman who was a beauty pagent winner less than 20 years ago and has a Bachelors in Journalism. You'd think he'd find a woman who's home was a state with a big electorial college that was swing like Colorado but no, he chooses one from ALASKA, somewhere that always votes Republican and it doesn't matter because it accounts for just over 1% of the college vote.

Between this, his advisors claiming they already have an NHS and stating that fears of a recession are totally mental if Obama isn't the president in 4 months America is a melting pot of retards.

17. Gooey_GUI

x

18. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

I don't buy it, no matter how much one may love tax cuts/guns/the bible/war/fossil fuel/francophobia/racism the horrendous failures of not only the last 8years of republican leadership but the terrible begginings of McCain's campaign must be painfully obvious. McCain's prior senate record has been decent for a republican but since 9/11 and especially since campaigning for president he has almost abandoned his common sense non-partisan approach to pandering for the old-guard support. Damn it I am going to hold 100% of America responsible for their choice this time, we forgot and forgave '04s ridiculous campaign of exclusively smearing Kerry's character to win, I remember when changing your mind over a matter after careful examination was a good thing, In america apparently it means "Flip Flop". But Kerry was kind of a no one with nothing exciting to bring to the world so people too bored not to vote him can be forgiven. This year is different, Obama's policys could seriously create a better America but people seem to be too busy complaining he has no real policys to read his policys!. Essentially what I'm saying here is that I want armed coup in the event of McCain taking power

If you look back in recent american presidential history you an see clearly a pattern of

-Democrat comes to power, increases taxes to fix the economy and poor living conditions
    -Public sick of paying more taxes than they did last year vote republican
    -Republican promptly power just as economy recovers and living conditions improve, takes credit then promptly spends all this wealth on cutting taxes
    -Public sick of having poor living conditions and a shitty economy
    -Democrat comes to power, increases taxes to fix the economy and poor living conditions

19. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Even less than 50% when you consider how low the US's voter turnout is. This is going to be an interesting election, I really don't think it's going to be a landslide in either direction.

This is probably going to make me the least popular person on Bit, but here goes anyway. All info is from Wikipedia.

Educational Background: Palin - Bachelor's in journalism, minor in political science. Obama - Bachelor's in political science, focusing on international relations, Doctorate in law from Harvard.

Years of political activity: Palin - 16 (started on local city council) Obama - 12 (Elected to state senate after several years of non-political charity work)

Claim to political experience: Palin - two years into a term as Governor of Alaska. Beat out the incumbent Republican governor to get it.
    Obama - Three years into a term as the junior US Senator from Illinois. Elected 70% to 27% over the Republican candidate.

Noted accomplishments in most recent political office (subject to interpretation, I'm trying to limit it to actual accomplishments here, not ideology or 'supported xyz'):
    Palin - Cut into pork projects, passed an 'ethics bill' (What's that?), pushed to unseat a Republican Congressman, challenged a Republican Senator to come clean about a federal investigation into his finances. Approval rating frequently over 90%, promoted oil development, increased taxes on oil company profits.

Obama - Two initiatives with his name, one to expand a disarmament program in Russia, one to establish a website detailing government spending. Sponsored several bills providing for discharged and/or injured soldiers. On several committiees.

Looks roughly even to me. In my mind, experience as Governor does a lot more to qualify someone for the presidency than a senate seat does. They're still both way less experienced than I'd like to see. Important difference: she's running for VP, not for president straight up. Yes, it does take away a lot of the right to criticize, but that goes for both parties here. Republicans now can't bash Obama for lack of experience, but Democrats REALLY can't bash Palin.

Hm, Obama admitted to using cocaine and marijuana as a teen, I hadn't known that. There goes your right to scream about Bush's DUI. I don't care about either, TBH. Life has clearly moved on. I'd worry if it were in the past ten years, maybe.

The beauty pageant thing: You think her past recognition as attractive and talented has something to do with her leadership abilities now? And I thought the military record argument was lame...

(Edited several times for clarity and typos)

Last edited: 30 Aug 2008
  20. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

One, That is not true at all. All of the times McCain and Bush have met they have disagreed on many many levels of politics. In fact the only real similarity is that there both republican and have to run on a republican platform.

And two, whats with everyone being anti McCain or Obama? they both suck, get over it and move on. Now from there its really all about just picking the president which is less likely to be assassinated during his term in office. Somehow I see a racist revolutionary shooting Obama before someone shoots McCain because he is republican. Plus the woman vice president is like a insurance card for McCain because no terrorist is going to face the fact that a woman would take his place in office.

There problem solved. Obama would be shot before McCain so McCain is a better choice for President.