1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some problems with this rig, (not yet ordered!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kroganwrex, 31 Aug 2008.

1. Kroganwrex

Kroganwrex What's a Dremel?

Ok so on desktop option I checked all the boxes and customised the pc to my liking. I went for a 9800gt X 2 (SLI) and well just see for your self...

Gamers Base Unit. Nvidia 9800. Intel® Core® 2 Duo. (Q6600 (2.4GHz, 6MB, 1066FSB) , Case 39 Xblade Black 650 Watt PSU , Vista Premium 64 Bit & Disc , No Power Supply Upgrade , 2 X 9800GT 512MB & Asus P5NE-Sli Motherboard , MSI P31 Neo-F V2 Motherboard , 500GB Sata 2 Hard Drive , 2 X 2GB DDR 2 800 MHz , Sony 18 X DVD Dual Layer Writer, Pc Option 800 Watt Dual Fan Power Supply Upgrade

First problem, it says core 2 duo when it is a q6600, so that doesnt make sense for a start. Ok so with the case i selected it says 650 watt psu, is trhat enough to power it? 2 x 9800gt 512mb which seem to come with an asus p5ne-sli motherboard, but straight after, it says MSI p31 neo - f v2 motherboard, wtf?
    And finally at the bottom of the chunk of text it says pc option 800 watt dual fan power supply, which cost me £20, which seems weird? Whats going on? Do i need 800watts plus 650 from the case? whats up with the motherboard thing? can you even have more than one power supply? and if so, should i get the £28 800watt psu or stick with the one that comes free with the case. Someone told me the 800watt one would suck balls anyway, is that necessarily true?

http://www.desktopoption.co.uk/gamin...orce_9800.html - - - Look at the "add some extras" bit, the 800watt psu I refer to is there.

Can someone shed some light on some of these issues please! Thanks

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

where is this from? maybe its just a really badly made website, try phoning your order through, at least you have some confirmation of whats going on then

3. Kroganwrex

4. Kroganwrex

SO what do you think?

5. MeltedDuron

MeltedDuron What's a Dremel?

it looks like its just a badly written store to me. Can i suggest that if you're going to get a prebuilt you get one from a proven company like scan though? It might cost you a bit more for a similar spec but then at least you've got the peace of mind that it was built by probably the biggest hardware supplier in the country, probably to higher standards, and with a great warranty. Also, I guess if you like nvidia that much then nothing's gonna change your mind, but I'd seriously reccommend you go with ATi cards, especially on intel, as ATi have much better hardware and driver support. The P5NE-SLI is hardly a great platform for a rig of this caliber, but at the end of the day its up to you, and this is just my £0.02...
    Best of luck.

Alex

6. Kroganwrex

My budget allows me to sli 9800gt's through pc option anyway, so why would I want to go for a single ati card? Even the 4870 doesnt hold its own against 2 9800gt's and dont even talk about 4870x2 because its way out of budget.

What about the psu, is that ok? Can you even have 2 psu's? And at that price, Im assuming the psu has gotta be crap, but Ive been wrong before!

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  7. Kroganwrex

Thanks alex, but with scan the price actually rose above £1000, and this particular rig is costing me only 650-700.

8. MeltedDuron

MeltedDuron What's a Dremel?

if you don't plan on upgrading the pc much in the future then you might as well go with the nvidia cards, I'd just be very wary of the workmanship on a pc with that spec for that price. In my experience, Tagan PSU's are actually pretty good, I reccomend them to my friends when they cant afford PCP&C (the best psu's around). you might want to note that the pc you specced will probably use around 400-500 watts max so a quality 800w psu is more than adequate for you. You can run dual psu's, but its really overkill these days when we have 1kw+ supplys. you're paying to upgrade the psu anyway so they'll take the stock PSU out and drop the tagan in.

9. Kroganwrex

Are you sure Im paying to upgrade? Because the case says i get a 650w one with it and the 800watt psu is separate under the "add some extras" And how do you know its tagan?

10. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

I've never heard of these people and for all I know they may be a good outfit but I'd be nervous buying from them. You'd probably be better going to your local PC shop in the high street (and I don't mean PC World, I mean the local shop for local people!). They will be able to spec and build a PC to your budget and if anything goes wrong you can take it back to them to be fixed.

11. Kroganwrex

Actually my dad is ordering this pc for me and my budget is 650-700, I just have to find one i want and then email it to him and he will order it for me.

12. Kroganwrex

Any more input guys? or gals lol

13. Kroganwrex

Please?

14. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

My first input is to stop double triple posting, my second is to do a bit more homework. Research more about retailers (online and IRL), hardware and what best fits your budget. I'm not saying you don't know stuff but maybe looking into it more will shed light on a few things. (and yes, before anyone says anything, I know thats what you are trying to do here but search further afield)

15. Kroganwrex

Triple posting? Does it really matter if i post on my own thread? Its not like im spamming, and desktop option is the cheapest option for me and I have see nsome good reviews about them, I HAVE done my research and I can guarentee I wont find a similiar build for anywhere near the same price as on desktopoption.

16. Kroganwrex

I am just asking for help from people.

17. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

If this place is £350 cheaper than buying from scan, I'd be dubious. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. If you're having issues with someones webstore, maybe you should contact them to find out what on Earth is going wrong with it, as we probably can't help you!

18. Kroganwrex

Yes I am going to try tomorow morning.

19. Kroganwrex

I called and got everything sorted out, these guys are great!

20. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

Glad to hear it, good luck.

Tags: