1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Nvision 2008 Content Index

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Why is there no coverage of the case mod contest?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because Tim was elsewhere and it wasn't really covered that well tbh.

I'll keep my opinions reserved on the judging too.

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks for the reply. NVIDIA didn't even post the results on their own web site. SAD. $5,000 first place prize and the people paying it don't consider it news.

Without media coverage equipment sponsors are less motivated to support modder's efforts.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

The only time I had time to get around to see the modding entries was at about 3:30am one morning and at that time I had no badge (and had to borrow one from an Nvidia employee) and no camera. I did speak to one of the organisers and gave them my card though, asking them to send me any pictures and the results - I've not had anything from them though, sadly. I had planned to go along and meet with Greensabbath too, but unfortunately other meetings I had with senior Nvidia execs got rescheduled and meant I couldn't get down to meet him either.

I probably couldn't have got everything done that I wanted to had there been two of me there to be honest. :(

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thank you for the reply.

I guess my brain is wired differently than yours. As I see it, greensabbath, boddaker and craigbru are significant providers of content to your web site. Considering the popularity of case modding to your readers I would have thought that meeting these people and seeing their work in person would have been a priority.

That's just my opinion.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh they are but we can only do what we've got time to do - we cover their mods in depth when need be, but when time is short we cover things that are more prudent to that event specifically :)

8. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

OK Thanks.

.....goes off to cue up It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp....

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was looking around for them at 3am Tuesday night, but they'd either gone home or gone to sleep. That was the only time I had available, such is the nature of events like these for me. There were many things I didn't get to do, including 1-on-1 interviews with people like David Kirk and Tony Tamasi (that I had to cancel, not the other way around)... sometimes that's just the way it is. I've had more sleep the last two days than I had the whole of last week. :)

10. DJNOOB

DJNOOB Nvidia

Tim-

I still have your card (the last one to boot) and will be sending pics along with the results. I was unable to get a hold of our photographer prior to the holiday weekend hence the delay in getting things posted. Certainly my apologies go out to all of the modders that competed. We really had a amazing turnout at the event.

Cheers

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks mate - I've replied to your email and we'll get this going. :)

12. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

I agree with slipperyskip,... totally. The modding scene is very small compared to other things. This is a problem.

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

If you are a case modder you have to be a writer, a photographer, and a public relations expert all while trying to create a work of art. We do this for the love of the hobby and maybe a few bits tossed our way now and then by hardware sponsors. These bits are important because it allows us to spend money on other things like materials, supplies, tools, cameras, tripods, lighting and finally...bandwidth.

People make a living from the content we provide for free. We don't ask much in return...a mention...a link... maybe a little respect.

[/soapbox]

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

That won't be a problem soon, I hope.

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Meaning?

16. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

SlipperySkip is making some really good points. You know,... I kind of feel like Im being taken advantage of right now. As SlipSkip said,... modders create FREE content. We are doing it for nothing. We are doing it because this is what we love to do. There are tons of sites making money off us. Without us, the modders,... there wouldnt be a modding scene at all. No bit-tech, no nothing. There are some modders who have made it the the top. These are the super modders of modding. They need the attention to keep rolling. They need the attention so their sponsors get the attention they want so they can continue to sponsor these super modders. Even those who are just starting out. Its a system. Just like everything else in life. The modding scene is to small. what are we doing to greaten the scene? Seriously. I want to see case modding on TV! I want to see it everywhere! Just like the all the tattoo shows, and custom bike shows. Theres no reason why there can't be a case modding show. We need to get to the people that dont know anything about modding. Thats how I feel. I feel like we are contained. We need to break this.

Tags: Add Tags