1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Something

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gott-Maschine, 25 Aug 2008.

1. Gott-Maschine

Gott-Maschine I overheated my dremel and it died.

Powered By: [​IMG]

Okay, I just got back to St. Augustine, where I have my real tools available, and my personalyear old hp laptp using gaming computer. A non-functioning desktop that has been a constant evolution for nearly 3 years. It started off as a dual core amd in a nzxt case with green wiring and a crappy nvidia 6800 running 2 gb of ocz gold ram. Then, after my video card literally burst into flame(WTF?!?!?), I replaced it with an 8800 gts. Then, after the plane ride down, I found my mobo and cpu to be fried... so, i ripped it apart and waited a year. Now, it has a dual core AMD 6000 cpu with a gigabyte s-series all solid capacitor mobo running socket AM2, and 4 GB of corsair xm2 ram. BUT! My GPU no longer functions, it refuses to start, and it squeals when I try to power my system up. JUST PERFECT!!! Now, I am running all of my computing endeavors on a severely underpowered 3 year old Hp laptop... I have contacted EVGA, and I am hoping the warranty is still good. If not, I really hope I can get a sponsor who sells GPU's, cuz I have zilch for funding. This mod is aimed at ramping my computer up from a normal gaming rig, to a badass custom case-mod. There is no strict plan, I'm just gonna go with the flow and do as much cool stuff as possible. Also, unless I can get a sudden influx of money or a liquid cooling sponsor, I'm gonna be doing this mod with fan cooling, not liquid.

Let us begin!!!

I started off tearing the previous rig down, and installing my new mobo, cpu, and ram, along with the stock air-cooler(until I can get a better replacement). I am also lucky to be a proud owner of the Lian-Li PC65B, so I have a massive amount of ideas for what to do to the case.

[​IMG] Heres the frame stripped down.
    [​IMG] The front of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The new mobo and such.

[​IMG] The corsair ram... 4gb for 80$!!!

[​IMG] Another shot...

I decided to polish the case inside to a complete shine, and maybe the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon!

Last edited: 25 Aug 2008
  2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

See? This is why I hate you Americans... you get cheap stuff:(

Seriously though... no plans whatsoever? isn't that just asking for trouble?:p

3. Gott-Maschine

Quite possibly. With a budget as unsteady as mine, I wont bother with plans, because it is very unlikely I can actually carry out those plans. I figured hey, I got some tools, a case, and some parts... hmmm..... lemme make a casemod. It's not gonna be super-awesome performance-wise, but the workmanship will most undoubtedly be much better than my previous mod. I'll have an update posted soon.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  4. Gott-Maschine

UPDATE! Ok, I have been really busy with school, and yesterday I rode 100 miles on my bike *applause* and I decided to devote today to the computer. I took the original PC-65B hard-drive carriage and chopped it to only hold one hard drive (which is all I'm using) and to allow the vibration elimination setup to work. I'm looking at mounting the carriage on 4 bolts with springs to hold up the carriage and reduce vibe's. Today being sunday, I was kinda screwed, as the local hardware store is closed, an last time I checked, home-despot never has what I need. Tomorrow will also be devoted to the comp, as well as job shopping and picking up those springs. Now(takes a deep breath)... Have some pics!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more soon!

5. Gott-Maschine

Ok, I have decided to take a road less traveled on this hard-drive mount. I am instead of using springs to dampen the vibe's(which would begin screwing up with harmonics), using gel to dampen the vibes. I am going to have a post on all four corners of the mounting carriage, and four aligning posts attached to the case. Between these posts, there will be sacs of gel. My only problem is the wiring. Solid strand wiring will snap with the vibrations of the HDD. I need to find someone who supplies micro-braided wire that can be used for my HDD power and SATA Cables. I was told by a friend that microbraided SATA cables are available for purchase online, but I have yet to find them. If anyone knows Where I can locate some microbraided wire, or cables PLEASE POST!!! Standard wires will not last long under vibrations. They will work harden and snap.

Here's a couple pics of the HDD in the carriage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Gott-Maschine

Project: Steamhammer (New name)

Ok, I renamed the mod, and I'm gonna go with a more industrial look now. I have a plan going together on sketchup, and I am gonna wrap all of the wires with stainless steel wire mesh with white cold cathode lighting. The outside paint job will probably be yellow and black caution stripes with rust, and scratches/scuffs painted in.

Oh, and BTW... How do I change the thread title?

7. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Edit your original post, but go advanced:)

I didn't know either til about a fortnight ago:p

Tags: