1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Google Chrome browser released today

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rum&Coke, 2 Sep 2008.

1. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Google are releasing their new browser's beta today called "Chrome". They've given a product release in the form of a comic...

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/#

They've got some very nice ideas, not least of which giving each tab it's own process rather than part of the browser's thread and to see how well their java engine works, I'm defintely giving it a shot the second it's available.

Google rarely **** anything up spectacularly, it'll be interesting to see where chrome's marketshare comes from though, I.E just has a core audience that firefox/opera will never penetrate and I think Chrome will be the same, but as a firefox user I think theres some things very specifically in a technological sense that chrome has advantages over.

edit: Its out today but not for a couple hours ++ also its Windows only right now

Last edited: 2 Sep 2008
  2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I reckon I'm either going to love it or hate it; for me browser choice is 50% technical and 50% personal. For example Opera's great but the way it moves tabs when you close one just annoys me to the point I won't use it :duh:

Still, if it delivers what it promises it should get a good userbase.

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Horrible comic... should have gotten Penny Arcade, Ctrl-Alt-Del or XKCD to do it. Maybe then it'd be popular, I got bored of hitting "next" 200 times.

4. Rum&Coke

2 of those comics are horrendously unfunny but i'll let you guess which ones.

5. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I've had my Firefox refreshing the site of Chrome and 2 different searches thought Google on top of my like 20 tech RSS's that go to my iPhone since 11pm last night. I can't wait for this to come out. I love to beta test things esp something like this that could be a huge part of the internet for years to come. I of course love the Fox best and safari is 2nd place to me, thought I used to fancy Opera but it started getting slow and all that was good in Opera was ported as plugins to Firefox so there was no reason to stay. IE to me has been dead for a long time because it is linked into the OS and as a X hacker, and Major of cyber security I've learned a lot of ways that IE can be a door wide open with a welcome mat for hackers and spyware.

I have to say one of the features I'm most looking forward to is that each window is its own process. I've had many times in FF that I had multi windows open and one would crash them all, which isn't too bad because FF reopens them all for you on relaunch but its still a little annoying. Really I think the only browser that is competition is Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari aren't nearly as strong as Firefox. I just hope that relations between the two companies (who are across the street from each other) stay solid.

For those of you who haven't seen the SS or Comic here they are:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

:dremel: wtb modders for cool plugins!

6. Rum&Coke

This is my main reason of interest, not so much for crashes but the firefox memory clutter thats pretty well explained in that comic. I really love firefox as a browser, 3 is really good and the crash-tabsave stuff is my number1 favourite function of any software right now but if I leave my browser on for ages it just starts hogging all my RAM. I also really respect the knowledge and skill of Google's staff and if anyone could make a better browser it'd be them

7. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I feel you on the RAM usage, I use Pandora a lot and if you leave that up it will bring FF usage up to 500+ mb of ram.

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I use opera. It doesn't eat my ram.

I'm looking forward to trying this. A few places are saying this will be released at 1800 GMT.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Looks interesting.
    Like they say, Google's real power lies in their ability to analyse the whole web and build a browser according to what people will actually use it for.
    Seems like a good idea to me.
    Personally, I hope Firefox and Chrome gradually merge into one IE killing bethmoth, and the very idea of a closed source browser becomes outmoded.
    Closed source monopoly bad, open source monopoly good.

BTW
    I've never seen a funny Penny Arcade or Ctrl-Alt-Del (XKCD:D)
    And comics don't necessarily have to be funny in order to be interesting or useful.

10. Rum&Coke

I heavily doubt this'll happen. Just making up random figures, I would guess about 30-40% of ie users don't care about quality of the program, they just know they bought windows and that comes with it. Chrome is open source and while the google name is a strong pull for some ie user who could be swayed, the majority will be ff users who don't have brand loyalty and just want the best browser available (If chrome is indeed the best available), kind of like the chunk of Opera/Netscape users that FF took after it started become well known/stable a couple years back.

You have won the prize

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I heavily doubt it'll happen as well.
    It would be nice though :)

12. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

well I'm using it now and it's damn speedy

13. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

My morals are being torn in two here.

To Google or to Mozilla?

14. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

**** morals, if it doesn't crash and doesn't spy on me (too badly) I'll use it

15. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

posting from it now, quite nice, looks simple and clean.

16. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I'm liking the undockable tabs

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wow this browser is pretty nice. This is perhaps the only thing that could sway me away from firefox.

The back and forward bars are very mac-ish, but I quite like it.

Ninja edit: Just noticed open new incognito window, that is a pretty swell idea.

I am also sitting back and browsing for the first time with this new quite deep desk, I have so much more space to view the website.

18. mr-sb

mr-sb What's a Dremel?

Hmm downloading now, looks interesting. But will need my anti ad mod.... can't stand adverts.

19. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Can't tell if it's placebo, but it definitely seems faster to me! Pretty cool...

20. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Was a very early downloading (sat on the page until the download worked) and all I can say is that it is great. Really simple, smoking fast (faster than anything out there I would say, both in terms of loading and as an app) and looks great. While I will probably miss a few features that I had using Flock (Facebook integration, etc) as a competitor to Firefox for being a simple app with speed, this is great. New main browser.

Tags: