1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Best 22" HDTV for PS3 - confused!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by riggs, 1 Sep 2008.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hey y'all!

I'll get straight to the point...I'm looking into getting a PS3, but have decided it's pointless unless I get myself a HD TV. It's gonna be used in my bedroom so I'm just looking for a little 22" jobby.

Now, I'm not entirely sure which one to go for...I'm also a little confused by the resolutions; I've been looking at a few different monitor/TV hybrids (this and this) which seem to have a resolutions of 1680x1050. Surely though, when using a PS3 with 720p it's gonna scale the image to fit the screen right? Won't this look horrible? Why can't I just buy a TV with a 1280x720 resolution? At least then it'll be running at it's native resolution and will look great!

Anyhoo, my budget is around the £200 mark (maybe £250 at most). It'll mainly just be used for the PS3 and the occasional BluRay film. Built in freeview tuner is a must though...

Cheers guys,
    M

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Found a LG, just above your max max budget, which supposedly has 1080p:
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/LG_22LS4D_22LS4D/version.asp

Will look into this further for you.

Sam

Ninja edit: Found it on another site, and that says it isn't full 1080p.
    Edit: Out of the two you linked from Novatech, i would go for the LG, i think the most you will get is 720p, which is pretty good, it is technically HD, so you can't really go wrong.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2008
  3. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hey samkiller, thanks for the link. Looks like quite a nice TV but I don't understand how it can do 1080p when it's resolution is only 1680x1050. It is a little too much though tbh...£250 is my absolute max max! ;-)

Plus, I don't see the point in having 1080 on such a small screen...plus there's only a handful of PS3 games that actually support 1080 anyway.

Thanks though...I'll have a gander at the other products on that site and see what I can come up with.

[edit] How about this one? I know it's just a budget model but reckon it'll be any good?

Last edited: 1 Sep 2008
  4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'd get a 32 inch Samsung. The 2006 models are still pretty awesome and are going seriously cheap all over the place now that the new 08 models are out and everyone is upgrading. (I'm contemplating it myself, but every time I get to the checkout I ask myself: Do I really need a bigger TV? Yes I ****ing do, but I don't have the bloody money! :p

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Another vote for the Samsung models - awesome TV's tbh. :D

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Samsung eh? Any linkage for these? Although, I really don't need a 32" for my bedroom but I'm assuming they've got smaller 06 models, right?

Thanks for help with this guys, really appreciate it (TVs are not my forte).

7. Krikkit

I think that this is one. I know that's well over your budget, but you might be able to find it for a good amount less tbh. It looks identical to the ones we have at home, which are the '06 models. :)

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

9. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i had that tv for a while -- i quite liked it picture wise (was fine for playing a xbox 360 and wii thru hdmi and composite on, never tried a ps3 on it) although the sound was a bit tinny, which i believe is a well known "issue" with the set.

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Thanks for all the links guys. I've had a look around and although those Samsungs are bloody nice, they're out of my price range really. The cheapest I found was from Richer Sounds @ a penny under £300...but they've sold out online...so I'd have to ring round the local stores...and the nearest one would result in £25 petrol cost anyway. ;-)

22" is the perfect size for my room, but pretty much all of the 22s I've looked at have a resolution of 1680 x 1050...why? I mean, I am right in thinking that I'd be better off going for something with a 1366 x 768 res, yeah? Surely if you do a side-by-side comparison of a 1680 x 1050 and a 1366 x 768 both accepting 720p signals, the lower resolution one will look better as it's closer to the original source resolution and thus won't have to do as much scaling/stretching?

So, I've refined my question a little...I'm now looking for decent 22" screen with 1366 x 768 res - any thoughts?

11. ktmakwana

ktmakwana What's a Dremel?

i would highly recommend the samsung t220hd!

under £300 in a lot of sites!

12. Krikkit

Because they use low-quality (for a monitor) panels from 22" monitors, rather than TV panels.

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ah, fair enough!

Well, as it seems pretty much impossible to find a reasonably priced 22" with a 1366 x 768 res, I've decided (been forced) to up my budget by £100 and get a 26". Reckon I'm just gonna go for a Sony Bravia tbh...unless anyone has had any bad experiences with these?

Anyhoo, thanks for the help guys!

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

£350 for that??? Then you might as well get this Sony 32" for same money

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-KDL32L4000

15. MShort

MShort putting the "i" in team

For my ps3 i use a Samsung 226BW with a hdmi to dvi and i love it, they don't make it anymore but u might be able to pick up a used one for pretty cheap.

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

That is a nice TV and a bargain for the cash, but 32" is definitely too big for my room. I mean, I'll only be sat about 5ft away from it - it'll be like a massive, pixely cinema screen! ;-)

32" is more of a lounge size TV imo, and when the day comes that I do buy a new TV for the lounge, I gonna save up like a biatch and get a nice 1080p set.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

You will not see the pixels from 5 ft, when you have a resolution of 1366 x 768 on a 32" screen. Maybe you can make them out if you lean forward a little, and low quality video will look worse, but the screen is bigger & better.

32" is small for a lounge room i think! It's a nice big size for a study or bedroom pc, and a good medium size for a bedroom tv, but i believe that small lounge rooms should require at least 42", and minimum 50" for medium sized lounges, and so on...

18. elpedro

elpedro What's a Dremel?

I own this TV, using it as we speak for my PC and PS3. And yes, it supports a 1920x1080 signal (it compresses this into 1680x1050) so you get a very very slightly squashed 1080 image. Not noticible enough to be bothered about but you don't get a perfect circle. Only downside is the quality of the built in speakers, not a problem as I have hooked my PS3 and PC to some 2:1 Logitech ones!

I'd give it 9/10 - Picture quality is perfect and 1080p is a bonus at 22"!!!

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

You cant run 1080P on this TV, its maximum rez is 720p. It could do 1080i but not P.

20. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!