1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling First time i'll be W/C, need advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by overdosedelusion, 4 Sep 2008.

1. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Long time no see guys!

Well, since I'm going to try and climb the tech tree again for the next year, I'm building a new pc.

Keeping the TJ07 cause I love it to bits, it'll get a clean, and a window lasered out when I'm next at work.

But what I need help with is W/C.

The system will be the same q6600 g0( i want to try and get it at 4Ghz)
    abit x38 quadgt
    a single 4870x2 for now, and a second later on
    4G dominator 8500

What I need help with is the layout. I know that the x2 runs bloody hot, so two together will probably melt them both into some 4870 soup. As tasty as it sounds, I'd prefer them better if they still worked, so here is my paint doodle, and I'd ask you, please, to advise or rectify my probable failure as a W/C'er

[​IMG]

Also, what W/C blocks, tubing, barb sizes etc. would be best?

but yeh, thanking you!

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I would have the top fans sucking air in, the rear fans blowing air out and the bottom fans sucking air in (raise the case off the ground with some feet)

To make it easier I would instead of having it go cpu > triple rad > 4870x2 > 4870x2 > pump, have it go cpu > 4870x2 > 4870x2 > triple rad > pump

With how fast the coolant flows it wont make a difference in heat. This just makes the tubing setup alot easier and nicer looking.

For blocks I dont know what would be best, but for the video cards I would get one of the full coverage blocks made by EK.

For tubing, I think most people use 1/2" ID tubing and then of course 1/2" OD barbs.

http://www.aqua-pcs.co.uk/index.asp check out this site.

3. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

May I first of all compliment you on your case choice :p its awesome for water-cooling! I may be able to help you out quite a bit on this one since I conquered the same task your are undertaking now :). I would defiantly recommend 1/2 barbs as they carry a lot more coolant and you are cooling 2 BEASTLY and very hot cards that’s why I would also agree with you using 2 rads in your loop. As for the loop it’s looking good but remember the barbs for the lower rad will be on the RIGHT hand side of the picture as the PSU blocks access to them if the rad was the other way round so make sure u buy plenty of hose. As for the blocks I would recommend a Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock it’s had some very good reviews and I have had great performance from my Swiftech GTX Waterblock. Finaly I would recommend the Thermochill PA120.3 which has also had some very good reviews and I have the pleasure of owning :D hope this helps.

The pics below shows you my setup, the rad being behind all the fans obviously. If you need any more pics PM me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Tags: