1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrybo, 4 Sep 2008.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Logitech G5. I have one. I love it. Build quality is very good and it is extremely comfortable.
    The only problem is it makes lesser mice feel rubbish :D

2. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

I really wanted a wireless mouse but it thought it would be stupid to use it for gaming, do you really not notice any lag?? It says on the Logitech web site the USB report rate for the G7 is 500 reports/second whereas the G9 is 1000 reports/second double seems noticeable!

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

No lag what so ever when playing Day of Defeat and other first person shooters. The only difference is that I don't have to keep pulling a mouse cord free of stuff on my desk. The G7 also comes with two battery packs, one that sits in the receiver charging and one powering the mouse. Running out of juice in the middle of a game never happens.

I'm also using a wireless keyboard, and again, no lag (Logitech Wave.)

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It is weird that noone seems to have adressed your actual problem yet. From what I can gather your problem isn't so much your mouse as it seems to be the input lag of your new monitor (unless I completely misinterpret what you're writing). If it *is* input lag you're dealing with then you cannot compensate it by buying a speedier mouse. But if you're generally in the market for a great mouse and it can of the wired variety, then I second the MX518. It's a fantastic gamer mouse, although the build quality seems a bit worse than the MX510, which I had previously. If I had to choose a wireless mouse I'd go for the G7. If you can buy one, that is. For some reason Logitech seems to have taken them off the market.

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but iir older Microsoft mice use Bluetooth (Class 3 - 1 metre range) as opposed to Logitech mice using RF for their wireless signal.

You could try moving the receiver closer to the mouse and moving anything with a magnet in it further away, such as speakers and headphones.

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would recommend to go and try mice out for yourself. While I would suggest a G5, whether YOU will like it, or any other mouse, is all dependent on you.

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

To make way for (i.e.) the G9 - and future models perhaps :idea:
    You can still get them (relies on stores having surplus stock of course), but all good things must come to an end sooner or later - even though it might be sooner than we'd expect?

9. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

The one thing that’s holding me back is the fact all of the Logitech mice I’m interested in (G5, G7 etc) are classed as “end of life” products for example I was just on the verge or ordering a G7 and I found out scan had discontinued them over a year ago! So I don’t want to buy a mouse just to find out a new one is being released next month. So I went on a quest to find new G7 successors and came across this, the new Microsoft Sidewinder X8. Now I heard the current sidewinder is pants, but hopefully this mouse will be an improvement BUT it is released in February and I’m not waiting that long so I’m thinking just to buy a razor copperhead to keep me happy until a new gaming wireless mouse comes out.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

G5 all the way... even as someone that doesn't play a lot of PC games, a good mouse with adjustable sensitivity is invaluable to me... for example for normal windows navigation, i use 1800Dpi, and in photoshop (for example), i scale down to 800dpi.
    Makes life easier...

11. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

Right since so many people are lovin the G5 im just gunna order one just to get this out of the way! I'll probably get a new wireless one later next year but for £30 i might aswell. Thanks for all the input guys!

Update: Ordered now, £37 altogether with nexday delivery from ebuyer! Hopefully that deal is ok, didnt do much research just ordered it in a rush!

Last edited: 11 Sep 2008
  12. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

13. Mike@TCT

Mike@TCT What's a Dremel?

First off, NEVER go wireless. Despite the claims of manufacturers wireless mice will NEVER be as quick as wired mice. This is because particles travel faster through solids than they do through the air. For the casual gamer this is fine - you probably wont even notice the difference - but if you're looking to get more serious you'll want hardware to maximise your potential.

The Logitech MX-518. The choice of many professional gamers due to its smooth optical sensor and well designed chassis. This mouse served me well for several years before my recent transition to Steelseries' Ikari. If you're on a tight budget this is the best mouse to get, no questions asked.

HOWEVER

If you have a little more to spend, the Steelseries Ikari blows everything else away. I don't even know where to start..it fits in the hand like a glove (meaning it's perfect for palm gamers, but also works excellent with claw grip style gamers like myself). Admittedly it did take me a few days to get used to holding it, but that was only because I held my previous mouse in a strange fashion, but once you've been using it for a few days you WILL NOT EVER want to go back. Yes, the optical sensor in the MX-518 was good, but this is SO much smoother and more responsive. The 518's 500Hz response time pales in comparison to the Ikari's 1000Hz (updates every 1ms) which is really the standard for the gaming mice of today, or at least the rate claimed by the majority of manufacturers today. I have, in the past used a Razer mouse that had a claimed polling rate of 1000Hz but only reported at 500 when tested. And if you frequently visit LAN events, the steelseries' driver-less support will come in handy too.

No, I'm not a sales person or representative of SteelSeries. I'm just a happy customer.

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

That is opinion, not fact. The speed differences you're talking about could only be detected by fruit flies and humming birds.

PS; 1981 called, they want their wired mouse back.

15. Mike@TCT

But it is still fact that wireless mice are not as quick as wired mice. In gaming, these figures all bear great significance.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well, wireless lag is something I've never noticed playing Day of Defeat or any other FPS. If we're talking reflexes, perhaps I can find someone who's an expert in the field. My cat.

Yeah, next time I'll find someone who understands English.

In all seriousness, this has been something that's been argued since the dawn of wireless. I looked around the 'net to see if there were any hard figures, or any recent (2008) tests made comparing wired and wireless mice, but all I could find were forum discussions like this one. Perhaps this would make a future article on Bit. There must be a cut-off point between the mouse feeding data into your computer vs. human reflexes.

Oh, and the cat is genuine:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfish51/2848206053/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfish51/2849038260/

17. Mike@TCT

Agree. But the thing is, most wireless 'gaming' mice report at 500Hz (AFAIK), which is the same as my MX-518, when I moved to the Ikari I could tell the difference. It was only tiny, but it was there.

18. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

So light travels faster in glass than in air?

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If I remember my physics correctly, Light has wave & particle characteristics and slows down in glass object then speeds up in air.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm sorry, but basing that upon "physics" just doesn't work.

You're talking about signal velocity through a copper wire vs. a beam of light through the air. Both are so ridiculously fast that it actually makes no difference whatsoever. The only percievable difference in responsiveness comes from the electronics introduced to interpret a wireless signal, rather than a wire.

I use a wireless mouse all the time, and after testing it back-to-back with a Logitech G5 (hardly a low-end mouse), I honestly prefer wireless, and found absolutely 0 difference in-game.

The biggest differences are between keyboard and chair tbh, buying a decent keyboard and mouse makes a difference, but once you've got something reasonable, wired or wireless makes no difference.

Yup, the speed of light through a non-conducting material is dependant on its conductivity and permeability.