1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm RMA'ing my Striker after a year of issues, could I ask for a different mobo?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mother-Goose, 19 Jun 2008.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi Mother-Goose,

Sorry to hear of your problems, man you've been a little unlucky. One question though is which OS are you using...Vista right?

Reason I ask is that the last year I've been plagued with what I thought were hardware issue. Jesus I've lost count of how many GPU's, Mobo's and RAM I've replaced, my signature chances so much these days that I'm almost doing nothing other than updating that!

I bought a new CPU, MOBO, HDD, PSU, RAM & received a new 8800GTX through RMA. Now I installed Vista hoping that all my prayers would be answered and my PC would function fully again, it did Hallelujah....in 2D!

Start up any 3D App's and nope....Crashes but no BSOD..."Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered", so Vista was not patched to SP1, I patch it with all the updates and still have the same problems. Spent 2 days serching for a fix and found nothing! Tried 6 different Nvidia drivers but it still wont run in 3D.

So I dig out Windows XP and install it, patch it, configure it...Run's 2D great, and 3D is a dream. Games run great, can benchmark it and run Prime, Orthos with no issues what so ever. Vista has better memory handling than XP apparently, however it will not allow me to run 3D app's.

My point is that you should try intalling XP and seeing if you have any luck with that. It would also be a good idea to ensure that Scan are tesing using the same OS, I have been the biggest Vista advocate sine it's release. I loved it even though being forced back to XP for a while in the begining due to flaky drivers, but now I' a little grumpy!

Look forward to hear how you get on.

p.s. Sorry for the novel

Last edited: 31 Aug 2008
  2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hey zr_ox,

Wish I could try XP out but sadly I've not got a disc for it anymore, however, I did have it installed when I orginally got this computer and it bsod'd on that as well, I put it down to the nVidia Drivers for that one.

I'm currently running Vista 64 SP1, but I've tried it on 32-bit too and get the same results. It's a shame really, removing the mobo always makes me feel uneasy, like i'm gonna break something else!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Mother-Goose, will scan be taking it off your hands?
    My Striker Extreme went back to Novatech 3 times, and they decided enough was enough and they replaced it with a brand new Striker 2 Formula, which is £30 more than i spent on the Striker in the first place, and £40 more than the Striker is worth now, maybe, they will do the same for you, without having to return the damn thing 3 times.

Hope all goes well

Sam

4. Mother-Goose

Just heard from Scan, my package only took 2 days by Royal Mail standard parcels to get to them, so I'm impressed with that to start with. Anyway, they've said the Striker was the faulty part, so that will be replaced, I asked if I could have something else because of the same value (I even said current value to be nice) but they said as it's the first time that's not possible, unless it's out of stock.

Apparently there are 3 left so they are going to wait until Friday, if they are out of stock by then, I get a choice, if not, another Striker, but tbh that won't bother me if it works :)

All in all, pleased at the speedy response, and again, great service from Scan :thumb:

5. samkiller42

Thats good to here, Shame i can't say the same about Novatech, starting to loose faith in them, but yea, looks like scan are on the ball:thumb:

Sam

6. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

MG

Hi m8 long time no speek, good luck with a replacement striker, youll need it ...lol although the v2 versions are far better.
    believe it or not im thini,kng of a NF790 striker 2. " im a sucker for pain"

let us no how it goe's.

dime!

7. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

You mean another crap nVidia chipset motherboard. Asus does NOT make crap. Good luck if you choose an MSI or Abit nVidia board.....much worse. Can't comment on a Gigabyte nVidia board, but it's well know the nVidia chipset is the culprit and NOT Asus.

8. Mother-Goose

Ah bud, you are a mad man, surely X58 is the way to go?! That said, I think nVidia have learnt from the 680i, or at least I hope they have. What bios rev have you ended up using in the end btw? I can't remember what I was running on before!

Let me know what mobo you eventually change to if it isn't the Striker II!

I'll also let you know if I get a Rev2, not sure any actually made it to the UK lol

9. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

MG

well is the X58 with sli support going to be a NF680i feature filled with problems?
    although i hadent given it much thort. i loved my nforce 2 and nforce 4 chipsets, hard choice! not sure i can wait untill X58.

dime

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I agree that the Nvidia chipsets are poor, but i have to say that ASUS are really crap when it comes to mass producing something reliable.

If you want rock solid performance then Gigabyte is the only option followed by abit/DFI/MSI.

Proof in the pudding, just look how many threads pop up on the internet about problems with ASUS boards.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

as my sig states i am usieng that motherboard now and i cant overclock in it as it hard locks when i downclock it back to defaults get some nice BSOD for week or 2,
    i got an new rampage formula x48 (had an p5e x38 but returned it as the x48 had some small tweeks that the x38 does not have like vdrop), i not had one single problem with both X38 and x48

the 780i motherboard has the same problems as the 680i, i was back at my old work place just helping them setting up 2 high end systems and both motherboard Hang when in windows and thats before you even start overclocking, if you realy want an 780 mobo best order 5 of them and send the other ones back that do not work

i not going to buy into an nvidia motherboard for quite some time haveing 3 mohterboards (1 680 & 2 780) hanging (780) and or BSOD/hang (680)

as i realy find SLI does not like me i norm prefer High end fast single cards (GTX 280 in my case now from an 9800gx2 from an 8800gtx before that ), the 4870 X2 was very close to getting it but its the folding that let it down and there are still issues with CF and SLI (at least on CF most games do not crash if its not useing both cards)

12. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

That's because there are WAY more Asus owners than the others, maybe as many as the rest combined. The ratio is staggering and that means you will hear more about them, good and bad. Ask anyone that has been building pc's a while and they will tell you that Asus produces the best boards around. You can in no way, shape or form say that Abit, MSI or DFI is even close to Asus. Check the reviews here on Bit-tech and others. I have owned a lot of Asus boards and not one problem. I use Asus exclusively for my system because of their reputation and my own experience.
    Intel nVidia chipset's are simply garbage. The AMD nVidia boards were pretty damn good and I still have an Asus M2NSLI-Deluxe OCing an Opteron without a single hiccup. But AMD made it easy for them by taking the memory controller out of the equation. Why do you think nVidia is not going to be producing any more motherboard chipsets? They suck and they know it. They could continue with AMD, but there is no market for it right now. If you are going to own an Intel cpu, you should get an Intel chipset based motherboard.

13. Mother-Goose

SpQQky raises a good point, there are alot of asus enthusiast boards because they always seem to be the first to the market and offer the best feature list. In the future I'll be going gigabyte though me thinks.

Fingers crossed this one works and it will see me out for another two years. (My friend and I have this theory, spend alot on a top end PC, use it for 3 years, then replace, rather than constantly upgrading and spunking money left right n centre).

If this board works then I'll be perfectly happy, just fingers crossed it's a Rev2A.

14. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

+1 I bought a asus p4c800 deluxe a few years back from aria, that went after 11 months. Took it the guys in store, they gave me choice of mobo, I said i'd have the same one that broke if they had any in stock. As it turns out they did, and thats the mobo im using now. Aria have always been great and I use them almost exclusively. Though depending on how arsey the guys are that you purchased from, who can say. I cant really see someone like overclockers giving you a choice of mobo for example.

15. Mother-Goose

That's why I use Scan tbh, great customer service, and free delivery for us, really can't complain at all, it's not their fault the Striker is flakey as hell after all!

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I guess it all comes to the luck of the draw, i have tried both chipset on ASUS board in the past and it has left me with nothing but pain. The motherboards do look nice and the layout is pretty good aswell but i still wouldn't buy another.

17. Mother-Goose

Ok so the replacement has arrived, hurrah! however, it's B grade, and tbh it looks knackered, the heatpipes are pretty tarnished.

Would you expect a brand new mobo as a replacement or is B-Grade acceptable? It's not what I was epxecting.

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

ring em and ask?

19. samkiller42

My Replacement Striker 2 formular was B-Grade, but the box and everything else was my old stuff, but the main thing is, it works, so i guess that's a great start. Having said that, someone has put a reset cover switch on the power switch on the mobo, so when you look, i have 2 reset switches inside, and my ROG logo doesn't light up as it should, but meh, the board works, and that is almost worth it in the end.

At the end of the day, at least you havn't got your old board back.

Sam

20. Mother-Goose

unfortunately this one seems to be worse than my old board, apart from 2 of the buttons missing their covers, the screen now doesn't register the computer is on and NO usb devices power up, I've check the monitor on another machine so I know thats ok, the keyboard and mouse are fine. So it's going back, and the guy at Scan said "we'll make sure the next one is tested before it goes out to you" - I should hope so if it's B-Grade stock!!

Not impressed, in essence, my replacement was worse than what I sent back, at least that worked for the most part.