1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adblock or not...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by BentAnat, 8 Sep 2008.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah, I did say that Adsense is a bit of an anomaly, and as you say, it depends on what deal you're on with Google :)

Bit has been CPM since early 2004, and by extension, so has any site that has been done at least as well as we have.

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ah well thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes a lot more sense. Out of interest is there some sort of IP tracking where only a certain number of impressions are registered per IP, otherwise could I not just refresh the page tons of times and give you guys loads of impressions :p

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Go whine about it in the feedback forum and Hiren or Hugh should look into things.

Trying to cheat on advertising systems ALWAYS ends poorly, and never helps the site owners.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

It would be to your pleasure to hear that bit-tech is the only domain I have not and will not adblock. Have a nice day.

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Am i supposed to be pleased that you are ripping off every other website you visit?

My car needs a wash, so if you really wanna please me, you know what to do.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

yes - it is EXACTLY like piracy, and that's EXACTLY why i am (in the very near future) going to start writing algorithms that deal with people that blcok adverts in one way or the other.
    Every site that you look at for information should get the 0.2c that they get per impression, even if you just open the page, find that it contains nothing of interest, and close it again - simply because you're putting load on the server (even if one click doesn't really make a lot of load difference on a web server) and using the bandwidth.
    My stance is this: webmasters should feel free to block users that don't display ads. HOWEVER (tit-for-tat), they should also not overuse ads... not 15 ads per page, etc.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Flip side of that arguement is that those users will go elsewhere. There is always someone else offering the same or similar content and willing to put up with whatever.

A lot of the content on the web, I would guess a majority, is non-commercial, put up by people because they have someting to say or information to share. I come to Bit pretty much only for the forums, and while we discuss the news and articles, it's the discussion and not the articles themselves that are the attracton.

I understand that you're trying to make a living running a website, but if I can find the same content from someone else without ads, then i would rather go there.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And EXACTLY like piracy prevention systems its a complete waste of time.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

and that means they should stop trying? i disagree...

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Spend your time (money) on producing some thing people would be willing to pay for, look at bit and how many people white list here and then look how much time they've spent on ad block prevention, a couple of messages from the staff asking us not to do it. Seems like time well spent. Now look at the time (money) spent trying to stop the copying of dvds and then look down your local market and see how effective it was.

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Thanks steveo_mcg. It's nice to see that readers understand where we are coming from.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Unfortunately all you'll do is push adblock software authors to get smarter.

We [as in publishers] can do plenty of things like this but usually don't, as advertisers rarely ask for anything like it. All you'd do is lower click rates so it wouldn't be a good idea to sit & refresh constantly. If we wanted to inflate and lie about our figures we could do very, very easily

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I DO understand the repercussions of going anti-adblock.
    The difficulty is that the sites i normally work on are not community sites. That's to say they HAVE visitor loyalty, but just how would a motoring news site stop people from using adblock, or prevent adblockers from viewing?
    I just think it's an interesting discussion to have, and a technical challenge (for me, at least) to try and stay a step ahead of "them"... ;)

14. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

You can never be one step ahead of "them" as they are leading the arms race, they develop the weapon and you develop the countermeasure. By having to develop the countermeasure you're always going to be one step behind unless you make a pre-emptive strike which is more then likely going to alienate honest readers ie ones with no adblock as your strike will be kinda harsh to stop the people you perceive as pirates.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

man... leave me in my dream world :p
    i'm just trying to bounce ideas around WRT how one COULD stay one step ahead... or even 1/10 of a step...

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Adblock or not.

If I went to a website that looked broken, I would go elsewhere. You have to be so careful with anti-[pirate/blocker/whatever] measures.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

yup. you do.
    the trick is to find a way to tell the user "please disable adblock, and then read this site... then we're cool"

18. Mattakadeimos

Mattakadeimos What's a Dremel?

I'd agree with the second bit here. I too use adblock, not because I'm hugely anti advertising but primarily because I hate (and with a passion) flashy grabby attention moving things while I'm trying to read. Jpg ads, I've got no problems with at all.

Its not just ads but anything moving, which is why I decided to quote you (not picking on you) because a lot of forum users use animated avatars and anismileys. They're all blocked by a quick right click.

I guess its because I'm old fashioned and grew up with books, no flashy movey bits in them.

Sorry BT guys but its like this. I'll not allow flash or gif ads on my comp. Its nothing personal, I just don't like headaches from moving stuff while I'm trying to read. Its not that I don't want to ads. I just don't want pain.

If that sends a message to the advertisers then good. If not then may I suggest as the people that are more directly involved with ads tell the companies that moving adverts will just get blocked.

19. Mattakadeimos

Mattakadeimos What's a Dremel?

Yeah thats a smart answer. Antagonise the people you're trying reach out to.

The end of the day Bt needs ads to stay running. We like bt. The bad guys in the equasion (other than Mr. BentAnat with his algorythms) are the grab attention adverts that the advertisers push. They only reason they're garish is because they want your attention. Shouty, kind of look at me, whoohoo over here, hey I'm an advert piss me off and I suspect a whole bunch of other people hence the creation of Adblock and so on.

All that needs to be done is the site owners say no to flashy moving ads and the trouble vanishes. Only allow jpg adverts, no movement and you'll create a bit of respect amonst the people you're trying to reach and maybe the respect will be given back. I for one don't respect anyone that tries to get in my face and scream for attention.

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Why don't you just keep the adverts in the root of your site? It's a start and prevents people just blocking a /myads/ folder.