1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File recovery program?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by antiHero, 8 Sep 2008.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Hi everybody

I had to reinstall a Laptop at work and forgot to take a backup of the Desktop files. I am now looking for a recovery program that can find the files even after format & reinstall if its even possible.
    Does anyone know a good program for that? Freeware preferred!

Thanks
    antiHero

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I've only ever used GetDataBack - which is quite expensive, so I can't vouch for any other program.
    There are certainly plenty of free file/data recovery programs available though, but rather than list a few individual ones you could try, just check them out for yourself ;)

3. bullseye969

bullseye969 What's a Dremel?

GetDataBack saved my life literally last week when I forgot to back up my pictures when doing a reinstall <3

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I have been looking around on google myself but wanted to check if anyone here has a recommendation or something.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

+1 for the expensive GetDataBack...
    also check out lifehacker (the site) - i think they did a top 5 on that kind of stuff the other day...

7. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

Easy Recovery 6 always works for me :)

But if you formatted and reinstalled OS on the same partition it might be a problem.

8. monkeybone

monkeybone What's a Dremel?

I use Active @ Undelete at work and it works like a charm and it isn't too expensive. It can be found at http://www.active-undelete.com/ and it costs 39.99 US for a home user license.

For a free solution, you can try http://undelete-plus.com/. I have used it and it is similar to the paid version above except it's free.

As a suggestion, install/run the software from a memory key and recover your files to the memory key to avoid overwriting your files. I do this for any systems I need to recover and haven't had any problems.

Monkeybone