1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Creationists object to Spore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Sep 2008.

1. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

evolution has to be one of the longest running theories that has yet to be fully proven (apart from looking out-side and not seeing a primordial soup) and lets face it no christian or other has come up with any evidence that the theory is flawed... or that God exists

2. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

3. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

here we go gotta love the first line : -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

"This article focuses on modern scientific research on the origin of life. For religious beliefs about the creation of life, see creation myth."

4. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

LMFAO ****ing epic.

5. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I find it weird that he claims humans were perfectly created. Isn't it one of the cornerstones of christianity and similar religions that humans are imperfect and need god/jesus to forgive us?

6. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

It's not religious people, it's people who want to complain about anything. Something doesn't tally with their beliefs, kill it with fire! But this isn't just restricted to people who are religious. A lot of people turn 'funny' when some one expresses something they don't agree with, rather than just saying you disagree, they feel the need to pursue an end to what they don't agree with. I'm a religious person, yet spore doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's a fun game in my opinion. It's just people can't handle their beliefs being questioned because of how strongly they think everyone needs to follow them, or there's something wrong with them, as some people have shown on her about being an evolutionist. It's a human thing, and people have been doing it for thousands of years. I've said I think evolution is a joke, but calm down, it's my opinion you don't have to insult me because you think you're right. :rolleyes:

People get the same about graphics cards, processors, peripherals, games consoles, movies and anything else people express and interest in. Nothing wrong in being a 'fanboy' but don't think you can kick and scream when some one tells you that they think your graphics card is crap.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Separation of Game and Religion is a must. Like the supposed to be separation of State and Religion.
    I say religion is the destruction of our world, and believing in any religion is a statement that you are thinking, you are better then everyone else.

8. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

That's a good example of ignorance. Arrogance has nothing to do with some one being religious. your statement itself is arrogant. Basically saying that you're not allowed to be religious, otherwise you think you're better than I am. You're talking about self-righteous religious zealots who condemn everyone who doesn't think the way they do, which is something you're almost doing. From experience, some of the most pathetic people I've ever met were religious people, who did think they were better than others, who incidentally turned out to be weirdos involved in a whole host of bad goings on, and some of the worse, backward people I've ever met. But this isn't religion, it's people with unhealthy obsessions. They say self-righteousness is the sickness of a religious person. Which is proven true on many many occasions, but it's like trying to label some one from a certain race to be a certain way. People ruin religions, not religions ruin people, in my opinion, especially those abuses of chior boys, they're ruining their religion, it's not the religion ruining them.

Though I do agree that state and religion should be separate for the sake of being able to accommodate people from many different backgrounds and cultures.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Sep 2008
  9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I am genuinely confused how you can possibly see evolution as 'a joke' what possible evidence do you have against it?*
    there is absolute bucketloads of hard evidence for evolution, and none for creationism

What evidence do you have of a better theory?**

*closest i've ever seen is creationists just pointing out gaps in the fossil record, which is silly considering how incredibly rare it is for animals to be fossilised.
    ** 'god did it' is not a valid theory, it's just a get-out-of-jail-free card for explaining anything that requires no evidence and at the end of the day, explains nothing about the universe or how things work.

pic very related:
    [​IMG]

10. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

He means perfect as in physical, not moral. Which makes sense if you believe in the Bible or Quran literally. If God is the creator and a perfect being, the idea of our creation going throught "drafts" and a process of corrections and upgrades would be basically saying your God isn't perfect and can't get things right the first time round.

Of course the empirical evidence in our evolutionary history and the many problems and issues with our own biologies proves exactly that!

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Now now people, no flaming please. Any more and I'll start polishing the suspension hammer tbh.

12. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Some people were made in the back of cars, some in bathrooms, some in showers, some were oops etc...

13. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

Please save the innocent children

But you don't understand. This game is played by innocent, impressionable, easily corruptible CHILDREN!! Satan is working his evil through game developers to turn our kids away from the one true doctrine of creation and to the sin of evolution. *tongue firmly in cheek*

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

see this is why I think religion is the root of everything bad going on in this world ~_~

15. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I worship the cheap hookers and beer Gods. I'm sure I could find a blog against it.

16. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Now that the game is actually out, you'd think you guys would stop using the year-old, outdated screencap of the creature editor.

Y'all need some more Intelligent Design up ins.

17. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

The ignorance of religion makes my blood boil...

18. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus *_*

Jack Thompson is stupid AS MY @SS an is a terrible lawyer, other big mouth to my list. MrMonroe is right stop using the year-old, outdated screencap of the creature editor.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Let's start with establishing a common basis to debate from.

1. Do you accept that we inherit the genes of our parents (i.e. sunflowers beget sunflowers, dogs beget dogs, humans beget humans)?

2. Do you accept that these genes can spontaneously mutate and offspring can exhibit a slight alteration of a trait that the parents did not?

3. Do you accept that by selective breeding, you can make those small changes incremental, and hence breed distinct features (as we have been doing in lifestock, pets, plants etc. for centuries, to enhance yield, strength or certain physical characteristics)?

All these things are observable facts that we use to our advantage in breeding livestock, plants and pets. OK, now the next step:

4. Do you accept that certain traits, in certain ecological circumstances or environments, may give an animal or plant a slight survival advantage over its competing peers and thus make it more likely to procreate and pass these advantageous traits on to its offspring?

5. Do you accept that therefore, over generations the environment itself (including competing life forms) acts as a selective pressure, kind of doing the selective breeding that farmers or dog breeders would, thus resulting in animals and plants that are better suited to their particular environment?

All these things have been observed too. Now here comes the tricky bit:

6. Do you accept that if this process carries on long enough, you can (but do not inevitably have to, it's all down to selective pressures) end up with species that are very different from their ancestors millions of years ago? I mean, look at the chihauhua and the wolf. Kind of different, no? That was just 4000 years or so of selective breeding. Now imagine a million years.

"Ah", you will now say, "but they are still both dogs. It's not like, say, humans and apes". Isn't it? Look at the chimp and the human. Perhaps not that much more different than a chihuahua and a wolf. We make the distiction between human and ape, but the fact is, we're both primates.

Now the bits which you (I suspect) struggle with:

7. Do you accept that the earlier a species diverges, in the more different directions they evolve?

8. Do you accept that simple organisms, over time, can evolve into something much more complex?

Again, both have been observed. I remind you of how we all started out as a single fertilised ovum, for instance. Ain't emergence wonderful. Evolution also involves nonlinear dynamics, reiteration, chaos theory and many other observed biological and physical principles. Although it takes a long time to observe evolution in full swing (although it has been done --luckily some life forms live very short and procreate real fast), all the necessary principles have been observed. We even exploit some of them in creating new breeds of plant and animal to suit our needs.

I could go on, but it would become a long post. In short, if you don't find evolution plasuible, it is because you don't really understand how it works.

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

Ah, gotta love Nexxo stepping in. I was waiting for that moment. Well said that man (as damn usual :D)

I knew we'd start getting people objecting to Spore, it was all a matter of time really. I just wish some of the people criticising games in this way would play them first, then create a reasoned and sensible opinion based on that experience. Bit much to ask I expect.

Tags: Add Tags