1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to Update Rig. Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arkuden, 3 Sep 2008.

1. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

I'm looking to give my rig some new life and I know that Ive got some wiggle room to work with. Not really worrying about budgets at this point, so its all fair game.

What I have:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Ed.
    AMD X2 4800
    2GB DDR2 800mhz
    CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V PSU
    GeForce 7600GT 256MB
    DVD-RW and DVD-ROM
    Misc. HDDs
    Coolermaster Centurian

What I am keeping:
    Motherboard
    Optical Drives
    PSU (possibly)

Looking to step into a Quad Core as this Mobo supports AM2+ and probably bump up to a better ram speed. Going to add a few TB of hard drive space. I play some games but nothing hard core anymore as the xbox360 has taken most of my gaming needs. This will be a movie, audio, file host, image editing, and general work horse computer. I am not sure what processor would be best to go with right now but if my mobo didnt support the processor then I would probably move to a intel setup. Any advice would be great!:rock:

2. Mike@TCT

Mike@TCT What's a Dremel?

Another 2GB of memory and a quad core processor would be a nice upgrade. Not necessary, but nice.

3. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I would go with a Phenom x4, an additional 2GB of DDR2 800mHz memory and a new graphics card (either a 4850 or a 9800GT depending on your preference). That lot should knock you back around £250 - £300.

Moving to an intel cpu would cost a lot more.