1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spore DRM allows only one account

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Still not even a marginal improvement. I can't believe that taking away some functionality entirely is considered good design practice.

3. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

When do u guys upload the crysis warhead review?

4. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

Just crazy. I didn't even bother checking what kind of DRM/CopyProtection the game had before I bought it. It was starforce free, and that for me was enough. I realize now I was wrong and I should have been a pirate.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

This is utterly stupid and has put me off buying the game until it's removed.

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I understand why people go to great lengths to protect their work, but I gather Spore's DRM is like paying to be kicked in the nuts.

People don't want to be punted in the pills for taking the legal route and buying the software.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    CardJoe, I think the appropriate smilie to this news would be a mix of these: :wallbash::hehe::rolleyes::eyebrow:

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well that really sucks, extra activations doesn't make up for it, although it is good, my hard drive just died so I have 4 left now instead of 2. I'd rather have infinite activations though.

9. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

doesn't really bother me tooo much.

what really bothers me, is that my copy has been in the post now for *counts*......10 days

10 freaking days

*sigh*, tis becoming harder and harder to resist the temptation of just downloading it in 2 hours.

10. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I'm curious how many people would buy it if they drop the DRM. 500.000 downloads within week or two is pretty high number. Most of them are of course pirates who wouldn't buy the game anyway...
    IMO - some games should be re-released year or two later without DRM. I still hope for DRMfree Bioshock(=2K sales - 1) and Crysis(=EA sales - 1)...

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Why Crysis? :confused:
    It had the standard DVD check.

12. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

But it requires internet connection. And that's a problem for me. I live in a village and decent internet connection here is a bit of problem(inet providers are using this as an excuse for terrible prices even for the slowest random working wifi connection. It sucks...)

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Now I think games should be copy protected ( for what little protection it actually gives) BUt I wholeheartedly oppose this limited activations crap. Why the hell should i have to buy another copy for my wife to use on her PC?? It would be slightly more bearable if we had to just hand the disk to each other. annoying but fair enough. But Limited activations is appalling. what happens 3 ,4 ,5 years down the line if i want to play it? I need to chase EA to allow me to install it? come on!

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what a great way to screw your user base....

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's Crysis Warhead that uses this new SecuROM. EA, after going the 'listen to our customers' route, seems to be adamantly trying to annoy everyone with this new SecuROM. :(

17. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Oy vey, when will they learn... :wallbash:

Crap like this will either turn people off playing on the PC or into unwitting pirates. There are several games I'd love to play on my PC but they have (or wil have) SecuROM. Bioshock, Mass Effect, the forth coming Mirror's Edge. Had thought about Spore until I saw how dumbed down it was. Honestly, I'm an adovcate of PC gaming but more and more I'm feeling the urge to buy a Xbox 360. At least I can play Skate then too (wot no PC port, EA?).

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Power to the people!

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So am I right in saying that if I were to buy a game I can't have multiple spore worlds running at once? How awkward! I have no family or friends damnit!

20. Major

Major Guest

No that's not right, you can only log into "one" account to EA i.e. when you load the game up, it asks if you want to log into your account. You can use all the free game slots on one account, I think there is 7.

Tags: Add Tags