1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Building an IR receiver to control PC with universal Remote

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Erik, 12 Sep 2008.

1. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I have just completed building an IR receiver to connect to the computer's serial port and configuring LIRC to use a RCA Universal Remote to control my Ubuntu Linux PC. I have had a few friends request a receiver from me so I decided to document the build of additional receivers and configuration to get the whole thing up and running.

The parts to make the receiver are inexpensive to buy, and soldering things up into a working unit takes only a few minutes.

I decided on a universal remote control - RCA RCR3273/73 ($7 at best buy) to control my music software, video software, the OS and MythTV. I will include photos of the build this weekend, parts list, and step by step instructions on completing this project.

Here are the parts required for building the receiver (not a whole lot) The parts are almost identical to the receiver on the LIRC webpage.

I ordered the parts from allelectronic.com (I had most of the parts in my parts bin, but here are the prices for everything where I ordered the IR receiver)

IR Receiver Module - TSOP2138 (2 for $1)
    Switching Diode - 1N914 (15 for $1)
    Capacitor - 4.7µF (1 for $0.15)
    Resistor - 4k7 (4.7 kOhm) (10 for $0.50)
    Voltage Regulator - 78L05 (T0-92) (1 for $0.40)
    Sub-D female 9 pin connector (1 for $0.49)
    Sub-D Hood for 9 pin connector (1 for $0.39)
    small piece of perf board to mount it all on...

A Total of about $2.50 for one receiver...a cheap $7 remote and for under ten dollars I have a remote control solution for my computer!

Wire to extend the receiver from the serial port to the front of the system (I used Cat5 cable - only three wires used)

Once all of the parts are gathered...and you are ready for assembly, it is fairly straightforward. A couple of things to keep in mind:
    The Diode and the Capacitor have polarity and must be soldered the correct way, and the pin-out on the IR receiver and voltage regulator must be observed.

Pictures and more to follow today...

Last edited: 13 Sep 2008
  2. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Components

Here is a picture of the components used (minus the cat5 cable)

[​IMG]

The IR Receivers I received from allelectronics had a plastic mount attached, I removed the mount.

3. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to this :)

4. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Perf Board Layout

Here are all of the components, minus the cat5 cable, on the perf board.

[​IMG]

The components from left to right are: IR Receiver, Capacitor, Voltage Regulator, Resistor, then Diode.
    Notice the orientation of the voltage regulator, the IR receiver, the Cap and the diode.

I lined everything up this way so that when I solder the components, the connections simply run from the three wires, which will attach on the right side of the components, in a straight line to the left.

Nothing is soldered in yet, just stuck in the board with wires bent to hold everything in place. The board can be cut down once everything is soldered to fit into whatever you will use as an enclosure.

I will include a wiring diagram soon.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I subbed to this thread. My last 3 months before retiring was using LIRC and WINLIRC and a Java package called ImageJ. I rounded up a transceiver from here:
    http://iguanaworks.net/products.psp

I will watch this.

John

6. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Soldered

Here is the bottom view of the board:

[​IMG]

The soldering is sloppy...it will still work.

There are three green circles on the bottom view, that is where the Cat5 will attach.

From top to bottom here are the connections for the serial port:
    Top Connection: DCD to pin 1 on the serial port
    Middle Connection: Ground to pin 5 on the serial port
    Bottom Connection: RTS to pin 7 on the serial port

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very cool :thumb:

8. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Here is the picture of the board with the wires attached. I chose to use the Blue wire for DCD to pin 1 on the port, Orange for Ground to pin 5 of the port, and Green for RTS to pin 7 of the port.

[​IMG]

And a shot of the port Sub-D connector with the three wires connected:

[​IMG]

The wires not used are just cut off at the end as there is no connection.

Notice in the image above where I said to pay attention to the orientation of the Diode...I didn't listen to myself, now I have to spin the Diode around.

9. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Completed Device

Here is the completed device...with the hood on the serial connector, and the Diode spun around. Next...cut down the perfboard and find a suitable enclosure for the newly constructed receiver. Time to test...

[​IMG]

I pulled the old one off the computer...plugged in the new one, works perfectly. Now time to find an enclosure...

10. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Pinouts

Here is a picture of the pinouts for the IR receiver and the Voltage Regulator...

[​IMG]

11. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Layout

Here is a quick layout and how things are connected on the board.

[​IMG]

12. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

The next steps are:

1. Cut down the perf board.
    2. Build a suitable enclosure
    3. Configure the software (LIRC, VLC, MythTV).

I will be using 1/8" Lexan (clear polycarbonate) to make a small enclosure (the next day or so). I am using the lexan as it is easy to cut and glue up. Also it will give me a nice clear window for the IR receiver module to work.

I have read a few places that there is no need to extend the module from the back of the computer (using cat5 cable), building the whole unit in the D-Sub enclosure with the IR receiver module extended out through the hole. I am sure that would work fine. I am able to control my system from another room with the IR signal bouncing off of the walls. Same thing as not using the cable but having the entire unit on the back of the computer. I used the cat5 so that I can position the receiver wherever I want, having the pc completely hidden as it will end up in my living room attached to the television.

More to follow...

13. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

It has been a busy week, I will add more this weekend...

14. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Here is the final cut-down board ready for the enclosure. The final size is 1.5cm wide, 4cm long and 1cm tall. I will be making the enclosure this weekend. I am thinking of a basic small box with small mounting holes, on tabs, to attach to the underside of an entertainment center (under the television shelf).

[​IMG]

mvagusta likes this.
  15. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I soldered up another IR receiver this one a little smaller. 1cm wide, 2cm long and 1cm high. Same configuration as the other only everything closer together. I still have to add the wires and the serial connector.

[​IMG]

16. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I know it has been a while, things have been busy here.

I made a little prototype enclosure. Just 4 pieces of lexan glued up to test the size...

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used an old USB cable for the wires on this one, not as bulky as the Cat5, and a lot more flexible. Here is the enclosure on top of the pc. Note the extensions on the side of the enclosure. These will allow mounting under a cabinet (after drilling) so the entire device is out of the way.

17. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Cool idea and Nice log! I appreciate the directions, someday I'll do this myself, when I do, I've got your guide marked and subscribed for updates!

18. p3v4x

p3v4x What's a Dremel?

i build this something similar with this 3 year ago & using winlirc & uice. but the receiver keep receiving wrong signal even i click same button on the remote.

i found this : http://cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB (AVR)_eng.htm & try to build. its more accurate & faster respon than serial device. the only minor is we must pay for get rid the "This is free version" message box everytime its start.

19. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

Couple years ago was useful, everyone had RS232! But now?

20. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

All of my systems still have a serial port...there are USB options, I will probably look into that later, but will probably require a microcontroller.

Tags: