1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows STALKER: Clear Sky?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 5 Sep 2008.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Nice. Might be getting this game a bit sooner!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Some of this is FUNDAMENTAL stuff that would have been picked up with proper beta testing. But anyway, hopefully it's fixed now only a few weeks after release :rolleyes:

The thing is reading this list I've seen almost every. single. one of these problems. :(

Spose I'll have to start a new game and try again.

4. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Think I'll pass for now....1.5.03 caused more problems than the unpatched game for me. Lets us know how it goes with 1.5.04 though.

5. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The classic Stalker savegame killing patches are determined to sap my will to play this game, but I'm only a few hours in, again. This patch will make my fourth start from scratch (counting the Ukrainian version too).

I'm really liking certain aspects of the game and not so much others. The graphics are superb, the weapon modding is great, but it's missing some of the bleakness of the original. There's a hell of a lot of random baddies around and the rest of the Stalkers you have to work with have an annoying habit of dying if you don't scuttle back to help them out constantly. The new system with the artefacts is brilliant, I love hunting them down now, also I'm liking the faction war and the whole non-linear thing. For instance on my first night in the Garbage, having acquired some nifty new night vision gear, I went out hunting Bandits under cover of darkness, partly to nick their stuff, but also because it actually helped the war effort, rather than them simply respawning eventually with no consequence.

The real boon with this game, if the developers can release a properly stable version soon, is what the modding community will make of it. Anybody who has played the spectacular Redux or Oblivion Lost mods will know what I'm talking about. :rock:

6. Major

Major Guest

Why can't they make the new patch so that you can use your saved games? I mean you saved in stage 4, so when you patch up, just load it up to stage 4 etc, quite simple.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well I uninstalled, reinstalled, got the newest patch, started my game over. Made it decently far. I'm now at the part where I have to
    find Fang in the Garbage
    but I've encountered another game-ending bug. Whenever I try to enter a new zone and if asks me if I want to move to the next area I only have the option to click on yes. There just is no "no" option. Wouldn't bother me except the second layer of this UI bug is that yes actually means NO meaning I can't zone and I CAN'T CONTINUE PLAYING THE DAMN GAME AGAIN. Oh, and I still don't have a stamina bar on my UI.

Seriously, wtf. Was the NA delay really a printing error? I wonder...

8. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Mickey Mouse operation? :idea:

Anyhoo I've restared with the 1.5.04 patch and it does some to have cleared up a lot of bugs and annoyances, but not all of them. :rolleyes: For example: mini quests that envolve attacking or defending spots are still glitched to a degree and I'm still finding randomly appearing little piles of stuff in camps.

However I haven't had a single CTD yet after playing through four areas. Autosave appears to be working. And the friendly AI seems to be behaving better. I'm playing on Veteran and I've noticed more than once that units of a friendly faction are far more capable now of steam-rolling an enemy position without you.

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I'm finding each patch has been an order of magnitude of an improvement, but I'm going to put it to one side for a while and wait for more patches and maybe a mod or two. I'm finding it much harder than the original to make money and keep it, not to mention maintaining supplies of ammo and health kits.

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

if you installed the latest patch and dont have the stamina bar then either you didn't install the latest patch or it didnt install right
    either way is bad and should've been a sign to you that something was broke :p

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

The patch has made the game playable, but I still get the occasional crash.

I find the quest assignment and activation mechanism a bit odd. For example, I complete a mission to
    kills some bandits from a pipe entrance with some other stalkers
    , and I get the mission complete confirmation, but immediately a new mission appears -
    Defend the same spot from a counter-attack
    . Fair enough... I lock and load... and nothing happens. So I get bored and continue with other missions and have a wander around that sector. The next morning and get another notification that the
    counter-attack is underway
    , so I run as fast as I can (consuming several energy drinks), and only just get there in time for a piece of the action.

What gives? Why not tell me the mission when it is about to start, and why not arrange it so that I have a reasonable amount of time to get there in time?

Is it supposed to be some sort of new real-time approach to missions? The missions occur in real-time and if you happen to be in the vicinity you can partake? Fair enough, but why confusingly inform me in advance?

Another curiosity was when I was told to contact a
    Digger in the Garbage to ask something about Fang
    . I found the guy, but I couldn't speak to him
    - admittedly we were busy shooting blind dogs, so I waited until after the fight, but he still wouldn't.
    . I reloaded and retried, but to no avail. On the third attempt,
    the guy died in the dog attack and so I got the message from his PDA when I looted his body
    . Weird.

Also, the traders in the Garbage say that the best stuff gets sold at night... apart from wandering around, whiling away the hours, is there not a way to fast-forward the time?? I want to trade some guns and buy some ammo... I can survive without, but it's an unneccessary ball-ache. My only option is to got back to traders in a different sector, but then again, they are unlikely to stock the same kit.

12. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

god a problem with DX10 ehanced everything in the game.
    DX10 mode theres black pixels and lines all over the screen...
    had to go to DX9 mode..

13. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Hey scar.

14. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I downloaded clear sky from steam tues. with the latest patch and found no crashes or major problems, I just built
    a new system and this was the first real test and my ati 3870 handled it very well. but if you are having problems
    or would just like to tweak your game here is a great guide.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ClearSky_1.html

15. dak69

dak69 What's a Dremel?

16. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

BAH!!! :grr: I've finally reached an impasse with Clear Sky. The CTDs have returned with a vengance and at a specific game time during a particular 24HR cycle I'm in. Does matter where I am or what I'm doing, hits 22:28 and the game crashes. So it seems I can go no further into the game...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I seem to have hot my own brick wall:

I'm at the stage where I'm at the Duty base and I get asked to go into a tunnel to clear out mutants (and find out more about Fang). I got to the tunnel entrance (only to see the Duty guys dead) and so I went into the tunnel.

Bang! CTD.

So I reload and tried again. Same again.
    So I reboot and try again.
    Then I reboot and try to load the previous savegame. Same sh*t each time.

I was still pretty p*issed off at having my 18,000 roubles stolen (in the Garbage), and then this comes along.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll persist...

PS Does anyone not think the game is much emptier than S:SC? And how come you can rarely pick up armour/suits off the dead?

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

could try waiting until 22:27 and then using a guide as they take up a chunk of gametime moving you between locations
    just a thought

next time, shoot them in the face :p

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

After killing them I stabbed them in the face a few times each - didn't have enough cash for fresh ammo! :(

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tags: