1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM Possible POTM entry.

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 17 Sep 2008.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

[​IMG]

Taken with D80, 18-70DX at 18mm, F10, 30 Sec exposure.

Any cc appreciated :)

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Wow that's purdy. Amazing saturation. Very well done! :thumb:

3. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

those see kayaks are very eye catching. my eye doesn't get beyond the yellow kayak because I had to spend a good 30 seconds to figure out what it was. Its cluttered in that respect and detracting from the serenity of the rest of the picture.

Nice colors btw

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Y'know, I was wondering what I was having such a hard time with - and that pretty much put the nail on the head! I really couldn't determine why but I felt like there was too much to look at. But now that you said that, I covered up that little piece of the puzzle and my eyes relaxed into the image much more easily.

Granted, with that gone, I'm lacking a little bit of the interest in the view... I guess it's a necessary evil, but that might be a sign of composition that needs re-evaluated.

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Funny you mention that because I really like how it gives the shot "pop". The only thing that disturbed me was that I couldn't tell what that banana-shaped thing was.
    So I think Bretts suggestion of re-evaluating the composition may be the answer... Perhaps to give the kayaks space to be kayaks?

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

It would have worked better at a wider angle. I think the issue isn't that the left is cluttered, it's that it disappears off the frame. It's not balanced to the calm of the water. I wouldn't have shifted the view, since you need that blank expanse of water, but there needs to be more "heft" on the left. and maybe a bit more light, like f/8 or or a bit longer on the shutter. I know the D80 has a 30 max so maybe f/8 would be the way to go. Certainly cheaper then the extra cable release with a timer.

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I can see where you guys are coming from with regards to cropping/altering the composition, but here's how I see it, without the yellow kayak, there is no real focal point. The shore line moves diagonally towards the middle of the shot, and onto the kayak. Personally I like the contrast. Also, the image was brighter, but I didn't think it popped enough so increased the sat in photoshop, as well as added a ND filter effect to darken the sky.

I suppose the shot could have been a bit wider (shot was taken at 18mm DX so around 24mm in FF terms) and included more of the left. But at the end of the day, I was standing in wet beach sand, and so were the feet of my tripod lol.

Thanks for all the input guys :)

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  8. Major

Major Guest

Amazing shot, but I think without the green one it would be even better. ;)

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

yeah but your focal point is 1/8 of the way off center, not a 1/4 or a 1/3. It totaly just drags the eye off to the left and *boom* you lost people. The cropped wall isn't helping, leading you down to no where. So the eye follows the rocky beach from lower right to wwaaaayyyyyy off to the left, and then down. you lose 2/3rds of the images in that little triangle you have in the lower left hand corner. It's like Baja. nice, but jeeze, you know there has to be more.

3 words to the beach photog: Cheap Beach Mats. 2 bux and instant wet sand stabilization that you can just toss out when done. See here for general usage ideas.

10. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Hmmm... well, I for once like the shot a lot, but I'm not 100% convinced. It's not that it's crowded as some say, because I really like the contrast of the yellow kayak with the blue scenery (hello, I did the same thing for my POTM, I can't "not like it"). But still, even though color wise it looks pretty cool, I'm going to side with Jumeira_Johnny in that the mixture of messages is what's bothering me. The sea transmits a nice tranquility that is disrupted with the left side of the pic... then again, if you take that out, even though it would make the whole picture more cohesive (in my perspective), you would end up with "just another" beautiful landscape shot. Therefore, to not feel that disruption of the calm that the whole sea/sky provide, what I would do is crop this shot A LOT. I'd go from the tree behind the kayak to the little white thing below it, and leave it like a nice panorama. This way, we don't see enough of the sea and don't have that tranquility feeling, which in turn doesn't get disrupted by the kayak. Instead, we see a sea that feels inviting for that "poppy" kayak to surf the waves...

might be too much imagination, but that's how I picture it...

Tags: