1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry 2 specs revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Aug 2008.

1. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

These recommended specs are higher than that for crysis though, so it might be even more demanding than that....

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Interesting idea, but it's not really that simple - anyone can tweak a computer to make it look like the minimum specs are lower if you have to achieve a certain framerate. As for the recommended settings being able to run it at max, what if the hardware doesn't exist? What if it's such a high spec it'll put people off?

All this is res-dependant anyway.

3. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Simple, games should only be made to be used on systems that exist now, why design a game for hardware that doesn't exist yet, no one can use it propperly.

Look at all the crysis people are having over the game with that as a name. :p

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Software has always driven hardware to evolve. Hardware improvements push software to evolve. Sounds like a paradox, but such things often are. If software was always coded with a 'current is good enough' attitude, we'd all still be playing in 8-bit colour at 640x480, and the cost of a GPU capable of doing that would be higher than the launch price of a GTX280, as there would be no need to improve the hardware. Or compete. Or lower costs.

This constant pushing against the boundaries of both hardware and software is what has driven the stunningly quick development of computers. And this is not a bad thing. I never would have thought a few years ago that I would be able to do DVD encoding on my home PC at the speed I can now.

I'll agree that Crysis doesn't scale well with multiple-GPU scenarios, and it doesn't really seem to do much multicore processors either... but when Far Cry was released, the 9800 Pro was the 'top card', and a fair number of people were complaining about how Far Cry was badly coded and ran terribly... yadda yadda. Then the series 6 cards from nVidia were released, and all of a sudden Far Cry was playable at max or close-to-max settings, depending on what sort of resolution you had in mind.

The situation has changed since then, however... due in no small part to the rapid growth in the market of high-resolution widescreen displays. When Far Cry was released, 1024x768 was 'standard', 1280x1024 was more or less 'power user' and 1600x1200 was rather seriously high end for the 'normal' consumer. Now, though... 1680x1050 is not exactly an uncommon res, and even 1920x1200 is quite affordable. 2560x1600 or 'TripleHead' are now the 'power users' (Matrox have just released triple 1680x1050 support for their TripleHead2Go) and, frankly, it's a heck of a lot easier to push 800,000 pixels than it is to push 2.3 million... let alone the 4 mil of 2560x1600 or 5.3 mil of some of the serious TripleHead setups.

I'll look at CryTek and say they should have gotten multi-GPU right (they should have, as Crysis has next to no multi-GPU scaling) particularly since the 'high end' now is multi-GPU... and has been since PCI-E and the series 6 cards were released with SLI, and the X800 series with CrossFire. They've got no excuse for blinkering themselves on that front. Equally, when I look at Crysis on medium, it doesn't look bad. It looks very good. On high is looks even better. But on very high... I don't notice a great deal of difference, aside from the nosedive on the framerate. Crytek could almost have left 'very high' out entirely (or added it in a patch later) and probably avoided some of the internet mauling they received for a game they tried to make push boundaries.

Pushing technological boundaries isn't a bad thing. Why make it seem like it is?

5. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Easily met by my new build...

Whether this is recommended for 1920x1200 or not is a different story, though..

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

What's a shader model?!

(Yes, yes, I know, I know, but christ.)

I assume an "NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT", which is the bad news given to me by device manager, need not apply.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I wonder if my laptops 8800MGTX will be able to run this on medium / high @ 1920x1200 (Native resolution).

Heres hoping :)

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

They seem reasonable, but then, rec/minimum specs usually mean jack without a resolution to put them to.

Hell, I'm sure Crysis would run beautifully on its rec. specs on 640x480.

I think I'll stick to my 'wait for decent reviews' practice before I make any judgment of the rec. specs.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'd imagine recommended will give acceptable performance on a standard 1280x1024 monitor, since that is a very popular resolution.

10. almightynugget

almightynugget What's a Dremel?

what settings do you guys think i sould be able to run this at 1680x1050 with a 9800GT 1GB? it gives me 30fps with crysis high (not very high) because im sure you need MORE than what crysis needed. Thats y im asking.

11. staples

staples What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, well when I think back to the trouble I had with the original Far Cry this seems like a much better opportunity to not have to wait to play a game.

Luckily I am going to build a new pc so this should tie in nicely :)

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Securom, limited activations, online authentications for single player game.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

And Farcry2 Steam version also has that DRM scheme.

14. travlorenz15

travlorenz15 What's a Dremel?

im farly new a gaming so can anyone tell me if my video card will run this i checked all my others specs and they will handle it so i run
    a vision tek radion x1300 xge

Tags: Add Tags