1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TEMP] E8400

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by p3ri0d, 18 Aug 2008.

1. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Hello,

You all know that I built my computer, all is working fine. Games are good and all ;).

BUT! I have a problem with the temperature of my CPU which is a Intel COre2Duo E8400. I installed the OCZ Venmdetta 2 CPU Cooler, and the temperatures are at 58/60 C. I think that's way too hot?

I installed the fan, even put some thermal paste, but stays at 60C.

Do you think it's a problem?

P.S: I don't overclock. Specs in sig.

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Its high, not critically, but definitely high - does it get any hotter?

What do you use to check the temps?

I get 38 deg. c. under load with the stock cooler

3. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

I used Everest AND Coretemp same thing.
    Never gets higher, no lower neither.
    Beofre I put the fan on it (running with radiator only) It was 60C too. I put it, stayed at 60C, thought it was because it didn't have much time to cool itself, gave it one night (completely turned-off with nothing hot around it) same thing... Idle or Full charge :?

EDIT : The lower it gets is 57C the higher is 61C.

Do you think I could have put too much paste?

Last edited: 19 Aug 2008
  4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

We'll mine is around 42 degrees celsius with an artic cooler 7 pro at stock settings and speed, and i go up to maybe 50 while gaming / under load. For paste, you really just need a rice grain sized blob in the middle and then just stick the cooler on, fasten it properly, and she's good to go, or atleast, should be. Any chance the cpu cooler isn't fastened properly?

5. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Well, since it's not "critically" high, I'll have a check when I'm back home. In 2 weeks.

The 2 problems I can see are too much paste or cpu cooler wasn't put on properly.

Thanks again :)

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

When you get home let us know how it goes.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you can get high temps when the paste is still in its curing stage, but you may have spooned it on by the sounds of things.

Onboard temp sensors arent that great anyway, they give you a ball park figure, its usually alot higher then its reading, in so cases +5 degrees

8. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

even if i remove 5 degrees, i'm still at 55C, on idle...
    That's not great I think?

But my PC is 1/2 week old oO. (See thread It's Alive. 13/08)

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ok didn't know how long it had been running.

Thermal paste cures in a matter of hours so it could be too thick or really piss poor airflow in your case!

If airflow is ok, then there could be another problem. the IHS could be concave, to check cover the ISH in thermal paste then use a credit card or ruler to scrap it off, if the IHS is concave then there will be thermal paste un marked or remaining in the centre.

If that is the case then there is an air gap between the IHS and the cooler. The only way to fix that is to lap the CPU. Strongly suggest you research that before attempting it plus doing the test a couple of times with different directional passes.

10. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

What's the IHS?

Oh BTW: I used the thermal paste that came with the Cooler. It's a one time use type, didn't put all of it. But i'll check ASAP. (I bought a Arctic Silver 5)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

IHS 'intergrated heat sheild' or in other words the big shiny bit that is nickel plated copper and you smear thermal paste over.

if you have got AS5 then dont waste it for the test, just buy so really cheap thermal paste to use for the test, then if it seems really flat then clean it all off and use your AS5.

12. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

The thing is I can't get thermal paste. I'd have to order some online? Can't no more, and surely not for such a small buy.
    I'll see if I can get some at Best Buy and such.

13. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Most little computers shops will have some silicone based paste lying around that they'd normally offer up for a couple of quid else I'd recommend MX-2 (comes in 4gram and 30gram tubes, the former being much more suited to your needs).

Assuming you in UK (you profile doesn't say)

Scan sell it for £3.98 here: http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=353109

If you've posted enough on the forums, your eligible for free delivery over £20. you just need to find something you want for £16.02, or pay the delivery.

info about the Scan-bit tech thing here

14. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Nope, I'm in US.
    But as I said I'll see if I can get some at my local stores.

15. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Hey All, i'm back on that problem.

Well, I decided not to remove the cooler and all to check the temp problem. Why?
    Well, i really think the system (the one for the CPU temperature i mean ;) ) is broke somehow:
    1.Where I was when I built the pc was hot, real hot and it was 58C
    2.Where I actually live is around 20C where the PC is, and still 58C
    3.I worked hard on the PC for 12+hours (Hardcore Gaming, 3/4 benchmarks and some other things). Guess what temp? 58C
    4.I left the PC off for one entire week. Turned it on. Guess what? It's at 58C

Whatever I do it stays at 58C :S . And I don't think it's a software problem either, as I used different ones to test the temp (Everest & CoreTemp)

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

so 58 at load and at idle?
    and, when you built the pc it was 58 degrees? were you in a desert?

17. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Nope, Florida.
    But temp was pretty hot as it was summer :) (Cooling system works less in Computer room...go figure)

18. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Hello hello!
    Well, i found the problem by doing lot of researches.
    It seems like Intel released the "real" tj max settings for their CPU's (100C for E8000 and E7000 series). After adjusting this setting in CoreTemp, SpeedFan, RealTemp and Everest here's the result (With an overclock of my E8400 @ 3.51 on air [OCZ Vendetta 2 + Arctic Silver 5]) :
    [​IMG]

So, what do you guys think of these temperatures? I will check later on with the BIOS to see if they are correct (That gave me the first indication there was a software problem, just this morning when I wanted to overclock :D ).

Thanks Again :)

P.S: Yes, it's stable and everything runs great for now. And again, yes I changed the speed setting for vendetta 2 fan in the BIOS (always full speed. not much noise from it...same thing (pretty much the side panel fan))