1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antivirus & Internet Security Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by lxrysprtmscl, 16 Sep 2008.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

my internet security is due to expire soon. i am wondering which internet security brand i should go with. i currently am using norton because it was free through my sister. so i am in need of a new protector. should i stick with norton or should i move on and try another brand? i have heard norton isnt all that good for security. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

We use norton on our servers here. It's more trouble than the viruses it's designed to stop.

People have different opinions about what's best to use, but personally I use AVG free and Spybot Search and Destroy for anti-virus and spyware defence respectively.

AVG free:
    http://free.avg.com/

Spybot:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

If you do end up removing Norton, you'll also need to download and run the Norton removal tool:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

PS: in before 'virii' as the plural of 'viruses'. There is no 'virii', only Zuul.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  3. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I get by with Windows firewall, but a free one for Vista (and XP) can be found here:
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

6. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I use Eset Smart Security too, (Formerly NOD32). I have found it very efficient and uses little resources.

I have friends who swear by Kaspersky too.

From my advise i'd argue against the free tools as although they are exceptional pieces of software for free, There are reasons they offered paid-for solutions too.

Free software is good for an educated user who avoids most viruses anyway, however if the machine is shared with say the rest of the family i would suggest you purchase your Anti Virus.

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well, Spybot is free as in free beer. It's technically donation ware.

AVG free is just the anti-virus part of the full AVG suite, which is all most people need.

I would never advise people went out and bought Norton/Symantec though. Every time someone mentions it I picture the Hindenpeter in my mind. But like I said, everyone har their favourite anti-whatever combos.

8. Hazardous

Although the complete package we're using is called Eset Smart Security... NOD32 is part of it, and it's still available as a stand-alone product called [Eset] NOD32 ;)

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Is it? Didn't realise that!

10. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  11. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

Definetly Kaspersy! You won't regret believe me... Thats a top notch antivirus with worldclass quality... That's all I can tell... I used Nod32 too but Kaspersky seems a lot lot better... Good luck choosing...

12. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

Norton Internet Security 2009 or Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

I think Norton has the edge for this years releases . . . Kaspersky is good, but bugs me with a lot of false positives, which is a pain when I'm trying to work . . . although they might well be real risks (although I think it highly unlikely they are) it keeps telling me about, but theirs nothing I can do make it happy and stop complaining (it doesn't like std bare bones dell OS builds, complaining that java shouldn't be here, and flash shouldn't be their, etc etc).

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I use NOD-32 and think its brilliant, the main reason being is seems to be much lighter than most other options. Simple UI easy to use, not too hungry on the system resources.
    We use Sophos at work on our Servers and Workstations, both are good in my books for functionality, but i do like the feal of NOD-32 more.

14. Hazardous

NOD32 ;)

15. strjms72

strjms72 What's a Dremel?

nod32!!!:rock:

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.672 has been released in Czech (CSY), English (ENU) languages for licensed users, with other languages and trial editions to follow.

This release contains the following changes:

* Fixed crash under x64 versions of Microsoft Windows Vista

Licensed users can download copies from ESET's web site at http://www.eset.com/download/. For more information or to request an evaluation copy, contact your local reseller, distributor or ESET office.

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

+1 for NOD32. Excellent AV, quick, accurate, and lightweight. Kaspersky isn't bad either.