1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 8800GT stuck with fan @ 100%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRea, 30 Sep 2008.

1. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Just built a new machine, bought 2x 8800GT cards (XFX), the fans seem to be locked on 100% all of the time, I've downloaded latest bios for my mobo and installed latest drivers for cards. Did some searching around and it seems hit & miss - is this an RMA job? Anyone had same issue and manage to resolve it?
    It's like sitting next to a Dyson hoover at the moment. (& sucks equally)
    Thanks.

2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Have you worked in nTune to change the speed?

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Have you tried each board individually rather than in SLI mode? This should help you work out if its the boards or maybe an issue with the SLI combo, lots of people don't seem happy with the quality of SLI drivers - the Crossfire drivers get the same abuse as well.

You might want to give Rivatuner a try as well before you RMA the cards, its a freebie program that lets you tweak your fans.

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

See what speed GPU-Z says the fans are running at.

5. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Tried that originally, the sliders didn't make a jot of difference annoyingly.

Cheers, just pulled one out to try, then swapped around - both did the same thing on their own - also tried adjusting with nTune and Rivatuner - poxy fan won't slow down for love nor money!

Not heard of GPU-Z before - just installed it - says fan speed=30% (no way!) and shows fan speed as "-- RPM" - so I guess speed sensors are shot... Strange it'd hit both cards - their serial numbers are sequential though so I guess it could be a bad batch :/

Thanks for ideas, RMA time by looks of it...

6. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Although I may just bin the stock coolers and go passive... Accelero S1 looks cheap and effective. Silence would be bliss!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... Have you tried RivaTuner? I'd say it's a driver error tbh.

8. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Yeah tried Rivatuner and used driver that came with cards and then the latest one from nVidia, all same result :/ Really strange, I've booked a ticket with XFX, see what they say about it out of interest.
    I've sold myself on the idea of passive cooling now though, ordered 2x Accelero S1 from Scan (cheapest place with stock) - looks like I've gotta do some fiddling to get the SLI bridge through the cooler though.

9. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Thought I'd update thread in case anyone has similar issue in future -
    Got a response from XFX -
    "The new 8800 series is composed of many different models, some have fan control, some do not. Unfortunately, your cards do not, but if you do require fan control, please contact your supplier, they may be able to help with an upgrade. But please let us know if we can help with any other queries"
    So it's actually designed that way, crappy eh!
    Just so no one else gets burned, the cards in question are:
    GF 8800GT 600M 512MB DDR3 DUAL DVITVPCIE
    PV-T88P-YHF4
    Nice and cheap, but only buy if noise isn't an issue or you're going passive!

10. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Do they make it obvious before you buy them that your choice of card is with/without fan control or do we have to rely of people like you finding out the hard way?

11. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Absolutely no mention of it at all anywhere on the packaging (Just reams of info on how great it is) or from the website where I bought it. Purely word of mouth unfortunately, very poor show from XFX.

12. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

It's not just 'a little bit noisy' either, it's b'stard loud!
    Acceleros can't be fitted soon enough!

13. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Acceleros installed, silence, bliss! Temps are a little high though, not much space between 1 of them and the next card so no room for the turbo module. Hopefully new case should solve that with improved airflow across them (current case is rammed and overflowing, can't close it)