1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: Xbox 360 outselling PS3 two to one

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Oct 2008.

1. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

DOA (system 1) returned to store and got it replaced. The first RROD (system 1) I sent it in and they lost my system in the system so i got sick of waiting and bought a another one (system 2) which RRODed. 8 months later I finally got a notice from M$ that my systems are being replaced all together. So now I have 2 systems.

The store I orignally bought my system from didn't cover RRODs which was crap.

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol dats bad luck. i know i returned two the second one was over a year since i bought the original

im not one to talk anyway i have two. one that over heats and gives two red lights after 3/4 hours play sometimes and the arcade i bought to replace it

i bloody hope the one i have now lasts. im on my forth now and im not that huge of a gamer. id say i mite have put in 25 hours last week but thats the most id ever play

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

My PS3 still works like a champ ::cough::

I only know one person who has their original 360. He researched 360s and found a certain lot/team # for a premium system.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

WII still outsells them all says everything it needs to say

5. Major

Major Guest

Erm, I saw a brand new 360 the other day on offer for just over £100.

6. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Dont know why people complain about the ps3 price, sure it may be expensive. But do people remember the xbox 360 launch the stupid bundles that the high street shops like game were charging.

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

25 hours seems a lot to me, maybe not hardcore, but certainly substantial!

That's over 3 hours a day on average... by the time I get back from work/pub and eat I barely have 3 hours to spend in total, let alone just playing games!

I'm waiting for the rumoured slim version of the PS3 next year before I get one... I'm in no hurry!
    I wouldn't even consider the arcade 360 no matter what price it was.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

well 5 hours sat and sun and 3 hours after work, maybe more on a friday. it was just becuase i wanted to finish bioshock. still tho consoles should be built for this all the same. but it was more than usuall id usually only get 15/20 hours a week

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Because that's how they shift more consoles: on initial price. They take advantage of ill-informed, impulsive consumers. They see a cheap 360 and then they take it home. Later on they decide they want to take advantage of all the patches they need to download for all their games they want to play and decide to buy a HDD (more money for MS). Later on they decide they want to play games online so they buy a XBL membership (more money for MS). They then understand that they don't want to have to run an extremely long/pricey ethernet cable across the house to access online and then buy a wireless adaptor (more money for MS). And then at the end of the day, MS has just doubled the price of the actual console from the initial cost that it cost the consumer. Don't forget about the rechargeable battery packs and quick-charge kits, Netflix subscription for movies, etc. Again, most people understand that the Premium is better since they know ahead of time what it offers, but MS will always leave the Arcade version so they can continue to taunt about being the lowest cost. Don't get me wrong, the Arcade version is great for those who just want to game offline and don't want DLC, but I IMO feel that the % of people this applies to is probably nothing and MS is just using it for both A) bragging rights on initial price and B) a way to lure in the uninformed, impulsive consumers that will buy more stuff later on.

So far:

Wii is winning on hype and price (together)

360 is 2nd because of being 1st to market, having the most 3rd party support, giving the consumer the choice on what they want/need (though add-ons cost more) and on initial cost for HD gaming

PS3 is last because of being 1-year behind 360 (direct competitor), less 3rd party support (less taking advantage of HW), giving the consumer (probably) more than they want/need and on having the highest initial cost for HD gaming

Last edited: 1 Oct 2008
  10. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

^^^ hit the nail on the head there.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I actually bought a second 360 because they were so cheap compared to what I paid for my first one. I split the cost with my brother and got a new Xbox for about £80

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I own a 360 and a Wii. Had my Wii since March I believe.

My Wii is sitting in its box and I'm trying to sell it because I don't play it at all.

Whenever I go to play a video game, I just turn to my 360 because it's far more fun to me.

13. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

yea.. I love how people still call the Nintendo Wii a 'fad' :p .. how many months does it have to kick a$$ till it stops being one?

14. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I'll stop calling it a fad when I actually want to play mine again.

15. devdevil85

Just because it sells good doesn't make it not a fad. When the majority of gamers say they enjoy gaming on it I will agree that it isn't a fad, but until then it is. Heck (from personal experience) my g/f owns both a Wii and a PS3 (got them the same week) and I can say without a doubt that the PS3 is used (mainly for the mini PSN downloadables) 99% of the time.

16. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

'Doesn't make it not a fad' Are you insane? What other better indication is there!?

The Wii will still easily be the number one games console this Xmas and probably the number one toy too.

17. devdevil85

How about actually using the darn thing. That's like saying because tamagotchis sold millions, they weren't a fad. If the majority of people who owned one bought one and kept using it, versus using it for a couple of days/weeks to see what all of the fuss was about, only to throw it in a drawer until the batteries died or just threw it away/sold it, then I would say it wasn't a fad. Don't get me wrong, I know people use/play the Wii daily, but how many? That's my question.

For me, there is no reason to play the Wii right now and probably never will be. I haven't played the Wii since Mario Kart came out, and it got old to both me and my g/f very quick. Since then, nothing. There is no reason to turn it on. The polls are great and all when you already have the console turned on, but I would never turn the Wii on just to answer a bunch on polls just to turn it off. If that's the case, why own one?

I agree that the Wii will "still easily be the number one games console this Xmas and probably the number one toy too.", but again, how does this prove that the Wii is not a fad?

Last edited: 1 Oct 2008
  18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If you are talking about Europe (which is what the main post is about) PS3 actually has more overall sales in Europe that PS3.

Heres a chart for that. http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php...60&reg3=Europe&start=38963&end=39719&weekly=1

Hardly reliable heh? Which is why when the game companies release their 'official' number they are in-line with vgchartz' number right?

Acutally the most common prediction is for PS3 to overtake the 360 in worldwide sales by end of 2009. With how much cheaper the 360 is than the PS3 and the fact the PS3 still outsells it shows that the next price cut will give the PS3 huge gains.

19. Gizmo1990

"I know people use/play the Wii daily, but how many? That's my question"
    Surely that's a pretty easy question to answer? A quick glance at the UK games chart last week shows 8 titles that are available for the Wii, 3 of them exclusively. Obviously games are being released for it and people are buying them.

More good itles that are coming out soon include Wario, Day of Disaster and Animal Crossing so I don't really get yor point?

20. Gizmo1990

Tags: Add Tags