1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a nice large tool-less case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRea, 30 Sep 2008.

1. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Currently have a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream, great case with the tool-free fitment of everything - just upgraded PC and came unstuck bolting it all back together - I've gone for 4 disks in a striped array (I do a fair amount of video editing and wanted as much speed as possible) and a 5th disk for 'safer' data storage, I can't fit the HDD caddy back into the case with the bays occupied because the graphics cards are too long and foul on them. Looking for recommendations on a nice large case with tool-free design. Not too fussed how it looks, low-key and black would be ideal though. Looked at server cases but they seem *much* more expensive than consumer grade versions, I don't want to pay hundreds, looking at a budget of approx £100.
    Thanks.

Edit - not having drives etc hidden behind a main door would also be nice, I like the Tsunami aesthetics, but it's so bleeding clumsy! I think function over form this time around.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2008
  2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

The thermaltake Armor Case is MASSIVE, but you will need to remove/file down the toolless PCI holders if you want to use a 2 slot card.

3. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Nice one, kinda thing I'm looking for, that is a lump! The Zalman GS1000 was looking like a contender but the cooling looks a little sucky. The Armour sounds good, googling reviews now...

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Antec P182?

5. mink

mink What's a Dremel?

SilverStone FT01?

(I say that cos I got one yesterday!)

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Coolermaster CM690. I love it, and it'll give you plenty to spend on other things, too.

7. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    This looks perfect, 4 drive caddy out of harms way and a great design. Door folding right back is good, best of both worlds (door and doorless-style)

Cheers, nice case, but a little pricey - SIlverstone make quality cases.
    I think this is a close 2nd to the P182, would've probably gone for one of these had I not seen the Antec!

Cheers all, will be ordering the Antec tomorrow I think.

8. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

P182 ordered, £90 delivered from Ebuyer, should be here next week.
    Cheers all for advice, very helpful.

9. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

Arrived today (Friday), so kudos to Ebuyer for getting it to me next day with free delivery (the shipping box was huge, I thought the case would be overly large when I saw it arrive, luckily there was a lot of packaging in there - the actual case is reasonably sized), re-assembled components into the P182 this evening - quality case, made my old Tsunami Dream feel like it was made from tin cans! With the secret cable routes around the back and the separate HDD bay I've got to say it's the cleanest install I've ever seen, barely any wires visible.
    I fitted Accelero coolers to my graphics cards, they were running at 78 degrees in my old case which was way too high, at medium fan settings on the P182 those temps have more than halved, getting 36 & 38 degrees from each now! CPU is also reporting all 4 cores at around 5 degrees cooler at idle.
    The finished article is bl00dy heavy though!

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I have a thermaltake armor, and I chose screws for the pci cards, but the rest is tool-less. Big case, but heavy, and somewhat lacks cable management. Also, not the quietest.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Glad you liked the case :)

I love it too, the build quality is brilliant and it makes a perfect setup for my silent rig. The only time i know it's running is when the HDD's spin up. Cable routing is rather useful and makes you look like you care, I've never had such a tidy case before hehe.