1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-and making spiral-cut spin FX.:naughty:
    Sorry. I don't want you to go all Teyber on us.

You should save the shavings from this session to see how massive the plastic beaver will be.

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Dark~3nergy likes this.
  3. tribaloverkill

Update! Whoa. Thats was a lot of work! Several days just to trim the acrylic squares down to circles! 144 of them!!! Thats really sucked.

Oct-01-2008

So, heres the discs I made. I have eight of them.
    [​IMG]

Works just like this. The disc gets mounted to the block and it goes to the router from there. The router bit runs alone the outside of the disc trimming the square down to a circle.
    [​IMG]

The bottom of the disc gets taped alone with the top of the acrylic block. I then super glue the two taped surface together.
    [​IMG]

This should produce this,... hockey pucks.
    [​IMG]

I had to trim the corners off the squares. It was to much for the router bit. Even what you see here is to much. Cutting 3/4" acrylic all in one shot is not fun.
    [​IMG]

Right after having met the router.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Check this out. As I was trimming down my squares,... I noticed the the shopvac was hardly sucking or blowing. I mean it was seriously lacking! I thought it was broken until,...
    [​IMG]

I opened it up! Filler to the brim!!! I have never filled this thing up like this before! It's packed in there!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looked how backed up it is!! LOL.
    [​IMG]

I never seen so much acrylic shavings in my life!
    [​IMG]

Anyways,... all done! All 144 trimmed down. I did this because when it comes time to turn cut them, it will be a bit faster because cutting down to a circle from a circle is a lot faster then cutting down from a square.
    [​IMG]

Boxed. I'm going to hold off before cutting these up. I want to finish this reservoir and do some work on blackout.
    [​IMG]

Ok,... this is for Borealis. The LED's are pretty much read to go. I just have to add resistors.
    [​IMG]

I spun them in the cordless to get that straight twist.
    [​IMG]

check this out. I always wanted to do this. Have a frosted reservoir. I decided to it for Borealis. This frosting is cool because its frosted from the inside! Its shiny on the outside.
    [​IMG]

A nice even pattern too!
    [​IMG]

I did it with this! A simple foam sanding block and a large boring bit.I used a razor and cut a pocket down the middle. I poured super glue all over the boring bit and then shoved it in there. I then glued closed the rest of the pocket. I stuck it in the drill press and then spun away! It works great!
    [​IMG]

This is a boring bit.
    [​IMG]

Here's the reservoir all cleaned up and ready for installation. When lit, the blue acrylic should give off a nice swirling blue glow on the inside of the reservoir. Going to look hot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Starting to install the LEDs. This is looking great.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Is this degree of skill legal in the US? Must be East of the Mississippi River. This is nice.
    Still taking orders for ANY res? PM me.
    John

5. tribaloverkill

Very soon john. Very soon. I have a couple of people requesting customs now. So I might take a few orders and use the parts im working on now to start them. I will PM you when the time comes.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sweet! I'll be here.
    John

7. Cheapskate

Oh sh*t, man that's a big fuzzball!:hehe: You have enough to do some kind of frosted Christmas decoration. -Or a full size snowman.

So the next update will be a lit borealis? I can't wait!

8. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Hey Tribal... start to sell this acrilic dump as a stuffig thing for packages :> or as Cheapskate said make a big snowma out of it :D

BTW - SicK!! - show us the night shots of those tubes when thej glow!

Did you spinn your drill both ways when you sanded those tubes? this i think can give you different glowing patterns :)

Greatz

9. Cheapskate

I think it would be cool to fuse it together in a mold and make a translucent front bezel. Or make a foil mold and melt it back together in an oven. It would be tricky to get the temp right, and the FUMES!:hehe:

10. tribaloverkill

Thanks guys. Next update will be a lit up borealis reservoir. This thing is going to be hot! I'm going to purchase a blacklight CCFL before I take those pics too.

Cheapy,... did you use the homemade bits yet? did they work ok? Im curious. If they dont you knwo you can shape em to whatever you want.

Hex,... I only spun the sanding sponge in one direction. I want a nice even finish so it dosent look sanded. When this finish is wet it will look more diffused than frosted.

I got the rest of my tubes in the mail. So I will be cutting those up to make more reservoir bodies.

I will also be working on blackout!!! I cant wait! I will actually be working on blackout this weekend!!! I ccant finish borealis because I need some clear shrink tubing to finish the wiring. So I will be working on blackout. I think the last thing I was working on was the PSU. The shower hose. I ran out. Well since then I bought 10 chromed shower hoses. I think it cost me like 80 - 90 bucks. LOL. It worth it though. I will start there.

11. Cheapskate

Yeah, I used them the day I got them.:D They work great. Sorry about that. I thought I told you. Now that I've seen the holder's I'm kickking myself at how simple your solution was.:hehe:

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

www.cnczone.com

The source of all my problems. a HUGE machining forum... you know ya want to:hehe:

cheapskate: i never buy a tool which puts me under... as in i save money from customers till i have enough for what i want them buy it.

These look great tribal :) your drill press skills are awsome:rock:

edit: your mill press? :p

13. tribaloverkill

You like the holders right! They are so simple but work so good.

14. Cheapskate

They work awesome. I added a rubber washer so I wouldn't f* 'em up while milling.

I was half tempted to get a router lathe. At the very least I bet one of us could put together something that would work like one for the drill press. All the woodworking forums I've searched on the subject want you to buy the information on how to make a spiral cutting jig.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2008
  15. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Very cool idea with the sanding, novel idea that will be copied by many I'm sure :)

16. Exeq

Exeq www.Mod-Planet.com

What with new reservoirs? Are you ok Tribal? Do you will work again on Liquid Evolution?

{ps. check this out :D - LINK }

Last edited: 14 Jan 2009
  17. Cheapskate

You OK, man?

18. tribaloverkill

Nope. No more studio. Sorry guys. But I will no longer be doing anything under the name TribalOVERKILL. I am going to start over. A new name, new place, new methods of production, new rules, a company of my own all on my own. Take care guys.

19. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

That sounds pretty final. Sorry to hear that man, I enjoyed your logs and ideas! Good luck with the new leaf and best wishes for the future.

20. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I hope to see you back here, even if it is under a new name.