1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux: PC gaming is 'in tatters'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Oct 2008.

1. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

I think that the online multiplayer part of a game should be made as one of the greatest aspects of the game. Using unique accounts that are tied to cd keys and all routed through a centeral system to make it so haxor tweens can't play online (hey i just realized i'm talking about battle.net)

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

That's what I meant, on the PC

3. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

PC gaming being in tatters is a load of rubbish. We might not get many exclusives any more, which is a shame, but look what's coming in the next few months....Left 4 Dead, COD5, GTA4, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Dawn of War 2, StarCraft 2. All top quality games.

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

hahaha.. and we have a WINNAR! :D Thread over! :thumb:

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Actually, I pirate games on a £14.99/month DSL connection...and I don't pay for the connection, either :)

6. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

It's apparently become vogue for developers to proclaim that PC gaming is dead/dying/on the ropes/whatever. Look at the releases for the last 2 years, and take into consideration how many were PC exclusives, and then look at what's in the pipeline.

It may be fashionable to say PC gaming is out, but I'd hardly call it an accurate statement.

"OMG, we've discovered we can make money on consoles, everything else is suddenly crap and sooooo yesterday!"

Also, given Mr. Molyneux's track record, I wouldn't really listen to much he has to say - the man would hype-up a glass of lukewarm water as the most revolutionary beverage ever.

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Indeed. As his main selling point for Fable II is.... if you make a mark in a tree with a sword... that mark will STILL BE THERE in a few years. Durrr :duh:

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Ask Valve whether the PC gaming scene is in tatters, i suspect that they will politely disagree. It will be interesing to see if EA release sales figures for Crysis and Crysis Warhead on Steam, compared to their own pitiful excuse for a download service and retail sales.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ummm....not really

10. NeMoD

NeMoD What's a Dremel?

aww i ****ing loved theme hospital, loved the hair machine thingy

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A bit of an over-zealous generalisation on my part - But the majority of pirates are likely to be paying top money for their internet connection, all the pirates I know do, and I would be very shocked if they were in the minority.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

take blizzard and valves games. None come with any form of copy protection. Valve is just your login for its copy protection . Blizzard is the same thing with its WOW games and all the rest are just cd keys.

They have been brought in there millions.

Pc gaming is still and will always be the online gaming captital. Fps games is the same thing.
    fable 2 on pc ? id guess microsoft payed big bucks for it to be exclusive.

13. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

i bought every single game i owned up untill they started using all the drm crap.
    rise of nations, command and conquer generals, age of empires. i used to buy those games because i liked that.
    now with drm it pisses me of that i pay for something that doesn't work the way it whould.
    i remeber those top titles costing 30 euros at there release. gevin inflation over the years it should be at around 35 but instead it's 60-75 for a top title game here in belgium.
    what the hell happened? since all i can see that has changed is drm. i mean wtf guys? 25 euros premium for drm somewhere someone screwed up.
    sell at a lower price with a cd key and i buy every game i like again.

14. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

I don't mind if PC gaming went back to it's core with just a few developers making (high quality) games for it.. Remember the Quake days, where everybody played Quake because there was nothing else? I don't mind if we went back to those.

All I need is my Valve, Blizzard, and Relic games, all the other crap can move to the consoles if you ask me..

15. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

The pc is a better platform but piracy runs rampant on it. Anyone that knows how to navitage to a torrent site can obtain the latest released and I am beginning to understand why developers are becoming reluctant to develope for the pc.

The console offers much more in terms of return - Modding your console isnt as straight forward as simply downloading the game readly cracked and playing but requires effort and risk: flashing your firmware or adding a modchip etc mess with the console and people are reluctant or not as knowledged about such things in comparison to the pc...which is....unfortunately for developers, much easier.

A game will still however be a hit on the pc and generate allot of income if its good enough, e.g bioshock....although i question how good it is, but regardless it's a fine game and shows if you can make a decent game it will do well....its just that it will probably do better on a popular platform such as the wii.....

16. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Molyneux needs to get his head out of his ass....

People wouldn't pirate if the games were decently priced for what they were (i.e. ~60 for Assasin's creed? I mean... great graphics and gameplay, but it was short and had little replay value).

Then you have WoW (yes monthly fee) but, you can get the game itself for 20$ and then go play on private servers if you don't feel like paying.

PC gaming isn't dieing, the big companies have just gotten into a repeating spiral in which they screw us over.

17. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

erm... molyneux didn't design spore... that's Will Wright's game... o_O

-----------------------

anyway, if PC gaming's dying then what about consoles? I mean come on, GTA 4 was leaked out onto the tubez 2 weeks prior it went to sale (yeah the "oh they don't pirate anything" console owners had the ISOs available and there where already 5 thousand dloaded copies of it in the 1st day it showed up online);

every single day you look at torrent sites and you see a crap load of console games being shared...

but hey, guess what, PC gamers are the bad guys here, not console gamers... I mean... geesh, a PC gamer might dload some games, but he ends up buying one or two, console gamers, as soon as they get those consoles chipped or software patched its bye bye to buying games and hello to dloading ISOs and converting/burning them (which, btw, can easily be done by so much software out there as easy as the click of a lil button and 1h later voilá... you have yourself a properly burned and usable copy for your chipped console)

-----------------------------------

and then the industry goes like... "wha? copied console games? are you insane? that's not possible"

but I'm pretty sure than soon they'll start thinking about DRM for consoles... that's when the *beep* will hit the fan and the console fanboys are all gonna start whining as all the proper gamers currently do...

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Maybe the best thing for PC gaming would be if we all went out and pirated console games. The developers don't have to know we DLed them and then deleted, they'll just see the massive number of downloads and then maybe PC development will look a little more attractive :thumb:

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I lost faith in Peter Molyneux after I waisted my time with Black & White. PC gaming isn't in tatters, but rather Peter Molyneux understanding of today's PC gamer. Now, excuse me whilst I go and play Trackmania, a game that is free for all to download an play, yet one in which I purchased cause it's simply ****ing awesome.

Peter, if you're reading this, not all of us play "The Sims" and "WoW". If anything, I still play Theme Hospital, a great game that you made before selling out.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not really, they own Lionhead

But then again I suppose the did, they had to pay the money to buy them, then pay the development and publishing costs.

There will still be a massive amount of sales though, and that's all they really count. They see a drop in sales by 20k. It's not due to the fact their game is ****, or they loaded it up with intrusive DRM, alienating their customers, or the fact only a fraction of people have the hardware to play the game. Nope, it's the pirates. ARRRR!!!

Tags: Add Tags