1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V iPod Classic 120gb vs Zune 120gb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samkiller42, 7 Oct 2008.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Morning all, So my Creative Zen Vision M is still going strong, however, i'm slowly running out of room, 30gb just isn't enough, so i feel it's time to pass it on to my mum, and get myself something a little larger.
    So, i've been looking at the new Apple iPod 120gb in Black and the 120gb Zune, also in black,
    Both are priced about the same (£180-£200) both come in black and both have the same storage capacity.
    I have several pros and cons for the iPod, but i know nothing about the Zune, so the pros and cons of the apple are:
    Pros:
    Plays from my itunes playlist
    My RVB collection is all quicktime/itunes
    I do buy from the itunes music store every once in a while
    Cons:
    It's an iPod (i vowed never to own one)

Now, as i know nothing regarding the Zune, other than it's supposed to be pretty good, i was hoping you, the people of bit-tech could shed some light on this, and help me choose the right player for my needs.

Thanks for looking, and cheers for any help, it's most appreciated.

Sam

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would say the Zune would sound better than the iPod, and has more features for the price. If you buy your music of iTunes and use it religiously, the iPod is the way to go. Otherwise, I say Zune. Maybe someone who owns both can add further...

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Eh? I highly doubt you could tell the difference between most MP3 players these days in terms of sound quality, unless you had a really, really expensive set of speakers.

That being said, the Zune has a FM tuner and Wifi, which the iPod does not. Basically, if you use either of those 2 features, then get the Zune. Otherwise, both are evenly matched for features. I also believe the iPod has superior battery life, and the Zune has a bigger screen, but don't hold me on that. However, be aware that there will be many more 3rd party devices for the iPod than the Zune.

Samkiller, the decision really comes down to a couple of things:

1. If you rather use WMP or iTunes to sync your music.
    2. Which one looks better.
    3. Which one has the superior GUI.

Either way, you're getting good value for your money; a couple years ago, a 30GB iPod 5G would have cost you £220 (!)

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Depends really. Some can, some can't. While the difference wouldn't be huge, I would say that, provided you have a good pair of headphones, you would notice the difference, however slight that might be. Otherwise, I agree with your dragontail.

5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Reason enough not to get one. Get the Zune - its feature packed, uncommon and very cool.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'd buy the zune, personally, but i don't use itunes. if you use itunes, you should go for the ipod.

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I'd take the Zune... better bang for buck in terms of features/specifications. As far as sound quality goes, that's more related to the type of headphones you're using and the bit-rate of the audio file, eitherway MP3 discards a lot of information only FLAC or similar lossless codecs can ensure the best possible audio experience (at the cost of a lot more storage space).

8. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

zune for me, much nicer screen, and getting away from apple :D

and I've had MAJOR issues with Ipod reliability (replaced 5 times in less than 2 years)

9. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

100% agreed - Ipod is for those who use Itunes... Zune is cooler :D

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Friend has a zune, and if you want to put video's on your zune, the resolution and video quality is not as good as that of an ipod. Not saying I wouldn't be happy with the zune, but my 30gb 5.5 gen video ipod is still running strong. I always vowed against apple, then my bro got his ipod and I liked it, and I got my own for christmas.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I must say i am leaning towards the iPod, just because of ease of use etc, and because i do prefer itunes over all the others, i find it's just so simple to use over winamp and wmp.
    I'm not overly concerned with looking cool, because tbh, i will be keeping it in a pouch or in my pocket, and using my sennheiser headphones (and because i am that cool:thumb:)

Still, i'm keeping my options open, and while i have limited myself to those 2, are there any others that people would recomend, with similar capacity etc?

Cheers

Sam

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd get an ipod as it has a clearer screen and easier interface.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

how is winamp more difficult to use over itunes. Winamp is as simple as they come, and in my view the best as its not a resource hog like WMP!

I have also vowed never to buy an ipod, nor to use itunes. I even go out my way to find non quicktime HD trailers.