1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Asus Eee PC S101

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Is Xandros still the Linux OS coming with this Eee?

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It sure looks nice..

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I believe so, yes. I haven't seen a Linux Edition of the S101 though.

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

looks nice.. too bad about the price though.. i liked how they were so cheap in earlier models . .you get what you pay for I guess

6. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

That does look really nice, but am I the only person who wants a regular screen res on an Eee?

7. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Indeed. I was falling in love with this netbook and then I got to the last page where I saw the same old resolution as before. It's still awesome looking but the resolution is a bit of a let down...

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's a netbook - if you want a proper resolution and a proper graphics engine to power it (not GMA950!) then you gotta pay for it. The LCD is probably the most expensive part and high density 10" ones will simply jack the price up even more - look how much the 12" Sony TZ is for example.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

my ultra portable has a 1024x768 native res... Obviously not all 12in notebooks have only 1024px wide displays, but I can't think of a website that doesn't work at 1024x768

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

It's a nice netbook, finally a netbook with some "class" in terms of design/execution but when I see the MSRP I'm put off because at close to $800 this is in 15.4"/14.1" entry level laptop territory. At that price point it's more a matter of size/functionality over small, inexpensive mobile platform.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

It'll be more like $600-$650 USD MSRP, the UK price whispered to me is including VAT (17.5%).

12. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Having given it some thought, I think I'm gonna pick up an Eee 901. They're very cheap now (370 Euros) and do most of what we want a netbook to do. You're right about the resolution not being as much of an issue, I just can't help feeling like it's a spec that isn't being advanced along with the rest of the hardware. It may not be absolutely necessary for a higher resolution but it'd be nice.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  13. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If the Chanpagne model looks anything like the colour code that Mercedes uses on their cars, then you may call me feminine. I simply love that colour. Champagne metallic. Yummy. But I'll stick with my IBM T60 for now. Maybe customize that a bit. Looking a bit too "corporate". Still getting used to the IBM nipple button placement. Wierd layout.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i totally agree with the closing comments regarding price. asus is obviously scared that this cheap netbook trend is going to start hurting their main lineups, where the big profit margins are, and are trying to make consumers forget that paying $399 for a computer is a reasonable option.

on my aspire i wouldn't want any higher resolution. 1024x600 on 9" is plenty small enough pixels. i do wish it were 4:3 though. 600px is just too short.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  15. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Nice netbook, wish it was cheaper tho. Guess you can't have everything...

16. SnowCat

SnowCat What's a Dremel?

I have one question - WHEN? :)

By the way, I've just registered - from the second attepmt. First one was unsuccessful because of no-spam question "What operating system was written by Microsoft?". My answer was "DOS". Guess what? It is incorrect answer :) Luckily enough the second time question was "How may eyes does a cat have" :)

17. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

not sure about the colour selection, they should at least have a black version. It would be sweet to see the dual-core atom running in this..

Tim - which ultra portable do you have?

18. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i have a Dell D430 - and although its not the fastest or sleekest machine in the world (its a work laptop) i LOVE it.

12" 1280x800, dual core 1.2Ghz C2Duo, and seriously, couldn't be with less than that. 1.2 dual core is WAY faster than the Atom at 1.6, and the high res screen is the minimum i could bear.

i dont think these SCC's really offer anything above a decent 12" laptop other than the SLIGHTLY smaller size. The extra power available from a decent processor is invaluable in my opinion.

19. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Since I'll be in the laptop market soon, I'll have to keep an eye on this one. I'm loving the look. i hope theres an option for the 1.3 megapixel webcam.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

ooooh shiny!

i just bought a 1000 (not H) and im very happy with it, i was preparing myself to be gutted when i saw there was a new model but it seems pretty much exactly the same thing.

anyways the piano black goes with my new samsung monitor (how sad is that)

Tags: Add Tags