1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It means maybe.:hehe:

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

HA HAAAAAA. I dont think that long. But,... S@#$ happens. I hope not though.

3. tribaloverkill

Welcome back! Time for some Blackout goodness,.... now, where was I?

Oct-08-2008

I was here! I left off here. Installing chrome shower hose wire sleeving. As you can see I got all new shower hose. I want my hoses to match. Stupid me forgot to buy new shower hose for the HDD enclosure. Damn. I'll have to buy some more. I'll buy from the same place. S@#$ better match. This stuff isnt cheap.
    [​IMG]

Here's the old hose where I left off. Have to remove them.
    [​IMG]

I have to dremel away the pins I used to fasten the hoses in place.
    [​IMG]

Thats was easy enough.
    [​IMG]

The bracket. I have to make another one of these for the HDD rack.
    [​IMG]

New hose, old hose. The new hose shrinks when its loose while the old hose expands. The new hose is nickel plated brass where the old hose is steel.
    [​IMG]

Have to cut all the new hoses in half.
    [​IMG]

Done. They are all about the same. Some of the hoses are expanding a little bit. Thats why they seem longer.
    [​IMG]

I drill holes in the ends fro the pins. Drill through this hose was easy seeing its brass.
    [​IMG]

Here are some pins I had left over from the last time. It's not enough though. I need more. I made these using the left over stem of a pop rivet.
    [​IMG]

I made them using this mold I made a while ago.
    [​IMG]

Pretty obvious how it works. I clamp it in the vise and smash away!
    [​IMG]

Put the stems in the mold. Make sure they are touching the bottom. Then you clip them like so,...
    [​IMG]

Like this. Make sure they are not to long. But not to short.
    [​IMG]

Then you smash them in. I wish it was as easy as smashing them in because you cant just smash em in. You have to kind of work them in. Hammering around the tip in circles. Moving is down into the mold. Just smashing it will make it bend over and be all sloppy.
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG]

Pins in hoses.
    [​IMG]

So cool. Better than tape or glue:)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I use this in teh vise for,...
    [​IMG]

This. Noe I just hammer in circles aroudn the tip until it forms a mushroom on top locking the hose in place.
    [​IMG]

Like so.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So damn cool.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So whats next? I would like to wire up the PSU but I have to ask. Whats a good PSU these days? For a really beefy computer? Assuming I was able to get some sponsors to donate the latest and greatest,... whats kind of PSU whould I have for all that? I want SLI and the whole nine yards. I have a OCZ 520w PSU right now. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

In the mean time I think I'll polish this out. It's time.
    [​IMG]

ZAP!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

By far teh best polishing I have done yet. I used ONLY a 5" felt polishing disc on my drill press at 2100rpm with some high gloss polishing compound. I stop at 220grit sanding. Do you know that I was able to polish out 220 marks within seconds with this setup?!?! Seconds!! I could not believe how fast it was! Took no time whatsoever. And it by far did the best polishing I have ever done. I wont be using the table grinder anymore:)
    [​IMG]

Pump mounting arms. Just installing them for the hell of it. I need new pumps anyways.
    [​IMG]

Polished back panel.
    [​IMG]

Pump covers.
    [​IMG]

Together again. How sick is that!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seeing that it took no time whatsoever to polish,... its time to repolish all the old stuff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blackout's end is near approaching. It's so close that I am not sure as to whether or not I should start seeking hardware. I dont want to get hardware to soon because around here,... s@#$ happens and I dont want to keep the sponsors waiting. Plus I have to figure out what I'm going to do with blackout. I want to keep it as my main processing station because I need a new computer with mucsle for all my pic, video, and 3D modeling. The pc im using now is crap. The thing is that I need to get this thing around so people can see it in person. the sponsors need their exposure. I think I will keep going without hardware for now. Keep doing as much as I can without it all. I still haver to make a reservoir for Blackout too. That I will not reveal until Blackout is completed. I will keep it covered so you cant see:) I have to buy more chrome shower hose, watercooling tube(I can probably get that for free), some micro tactile switches for teh VFD, LCD, and optical drives, I have to buy two new optical drives, I need metal chromed RCA plugs!?!? I think thats what I wanted to get. I will be using those for the LEDS. S@#$ I still need to make brackets to mount all the LEDS. Damn,... ok. I have a lot more to go. Till next time. Which will be soon. I am waiting for the heat shrink tubing to finish Borealis. I need it for Blackout too. Till next time. Peace.

4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

An update, I've been waiting for that for soo long !!
    :D
    I must say that this is really my favorite project, also the one that made me wanna start modding!
    can't wait to see how the end product will look like !
    keep it up :thumb:

edit. where can I find the first part of your worklog ?

5. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

The attention to detail is out of this world. I love it. :)

Cyp.

6. tribaloverkill

Google tribaloverkill's blackout. you bound to find one of my other logs. I have several logs.

7. Cheapskate

The flatwound shower hose looks much better. You really should pick up some sponsors for the stuff like powersupplies and pumps...before the economy goes (messy poo sound.)
    You will probably make your own waterblock anyway, right? :naughty:

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

i think all the pics are down on your first one.

glad to see this thing back in action:rock:

9. tribaloverkill

Oh yea. Not fixing that. Well,... I am kind of. I'm building a full Blackout worklog at acryan's forum.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Then that's were I must go! This is unreal. I never saw it before today. Been in a cave feeling sorry for myself - better now. I'm going to try to remember my login.
    Later.

11. tribaloverkill

The log there isnt complete either. I have been slowly adding to it. I have so many updates to post. You will have to check up on it as i keep posting updates there.

12. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I just found out this log isn't displayed green here, that means I never posted, which is weird :sigh: I guess I followed this log on one of the many other forums ;)

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Wow, Just spent several hours a day of the last few days catching up on all this work you did on blackout. Totally impressed with the attention to detail, simple and tight color scheme... and all the rest which is too much to recap here. Also, I really appreciate the time you took to take pics and explain and show examples of cool tricks and basic how-tos! I'm definitely going to have to 'borrow' some of the tricks like your led wiring & copper bus, jigs, etc. I'm sure you should have no problem getting sponsors to throw their latest and greatest at you in the bid to get their hardware in such a showpiece. IF they're smart, they're hitting you up now. Though I can only imagine the extra work it would take to add their logos to your masterpiece, and the extra delay it will add to the finishing of blackout. Can't wait to see the psu and hoses connecting it all... and of course the new rez.

I'd love to see more decor on the radiator tower, It looks a little, well, plain, in comparison to the intricate work and decor on the other stuff like the pump towers and hd cage, mobo rear cover, etc. Not to say that it doesn't look great as is. I know you mentioned lighting it up (Yes!) that might also make a nice marquee for any sponsors.

Again, great job!

Finally, I'd like to ask what you use now for your polishing? It seems you've gone through a couple different methods, and it looks like you now like the drill press with a felt pad (fast), and some compound? (any recommendations on what to use? would something suitable for acrylic be suitable for alum? I've heard novus as a highly recommended acrylic polish, thoughts?)

Last edited: 10 Oct 2008
  14. tribaloverkill

Thanks for the comments dude. About the rad tower being a bit plain,.. I was thinking about using the window space as room for logos. I really wanted some free floating logos inside blackout but I am thinking there isnt going to be a lot fo room left. Making logos is easy. I am thinking that I am going to do the same for the logos as I did the text for the Borealis reservoir i am making. It will look hot. But I have yet to contact anyone about sponsorship.

As for poliching, yes, I love using the drill press with a felt pad. It does a much better job and is bay far the fastest means of polishing. I need to get some smaller felt pads for intricate pieces. I use high gloss and general cleaning compounds. It comes in a solid form, a stick you rub onto the wheel or pad. I use the same compounds to polish acrylic too. I polish acrylic with no problems whatsoever. I never used novus although I have heard of it.

15. Cheapskate

Novus is really good for getting buffing wheel wax out of cracks and holes.

16. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Thanks for your reply dude!
    I don't like designs that are too busy... for the most part. Yours, despite having all that detail, manages to not be all that busy surprisingly. I'm surprised that you'd even have to contact people for sponsership. If I was a manufacturer, I'd have people lurking around these sites and contacting mods like yours! That said, its a perfect spot for a logo, so send them a few links and what you're looking for... then again, if you did that, you'd probably not see it again for a year as it goes travelling around!

I'll have to try out the felt pad polish tip. I got a little cheapo set that I can attach to my drill (not a press, but I've got some clamps I mean to try on it.) My tools are seriously lacking in the quality department. Thanks for the tip on novus, cheapskate!

17. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

I think Corsair PSUs are great. The 1000W one is modular too!

18. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Just, all the details :) I love it :) Great work!

19. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

cant wait for another update from you man!