1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows bought vista, its been interisting

Discussion in 'Software' started by chrisb2e9, 10 Oct 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello, I bought Vista, and what I want to do it install it on a partition on my hard drive so that I can keep XP on the other partition. and when the pc boots I will have an option to select which operating system.

Is this even possible?

Thanks

Last edited: 13 Oct 2008
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

It is possible. It's known as a dual boot. I believe it's easier to do with xp installed first. I had it set up a few months back, but a friend did it for me. If you google xp / vista dual boot, I'm sure you will be able to find a guide, and you can always just ask here if your having some trouble.

3. chrisb2e9

ok, I'll see if I can find a guide.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You need 2 primary partitions on your HDD. The first for XP (which you have), and the second with Vista.

Why need 2 partitions?
    - Prevent conflict between OS's files, and ensure both works at their best.... and lets not talk about a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit, cause I would expect a direct BSOD on both OS.
    - Vista NTFS drive format is not the same as XP. Vista support meta tags on files.

Alternative method
    - An alternative is instead of dual booting, and playing the game of OS switch. You can install Vista as your main OS. And install (freeware) Microsoft Virtual PC (If you have Vista 64-bit which I STRONGLY recommend, download Virtual PC 64-bit! :D), and install XP 32-bit on it. Now you can have both OS.

Demo: http://www.helpweaver.com/virtual/virtualpc.htm (in this video I also show a shutdown settings on the virtual PC)

The downside:
    - Cannot run OpenGL, and DirectX programs. (so no games).

FAQ:
    - Q: On virtual PC the RAM doesn't match your PC, how come?
    - A: You can set the amount of RAM you want the virtual PC uses when running a selected OS.

- Q: Can I install Linux on it? Can I have multiple OS's?
    - A: Yes

- Q: Why get Virtual PC 64-bit?
    - A: Faster OS startup.

- Q:Can I install a 64-bit OS with Virtual PC 2007?
    - A: No.

- Q: How come your computer speed is different between Vista and virtual machine.
    - A: my CPU auto-OC when needed up to 10%. This is enough to lose track in the speed evaluation by any software. (I get ridiculous high score on 3Dmark CPU tests). In this case, I get a lower mark. Don't worry about this.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2008
  5. chrisb2e9

Lets just clarify this to make sure I read it right,
    xp on my system is 32bit
    I bought 64bit vista.

If I dual boot with this setup (xp installed first) it wont work?

If thats the case I will just back up everything and format the drive when my vista dvd arrives.

6. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=156449&highlight=dual+boot

I tried doing it myself. You will need to have a third party app to resize the partition if you have XP installed first. To this day I haven't been able to make use of the Vista partition as I get a BSOD every time I click on anything. I'm thinking of deleting it and trying it again. Partition 8 was used to do it the first time. Next time I will start off with a new drive, install Vista, and then partition and install XP with tools in Vista. I just need to get an external backup which I should have anyway.

my question is - can Vista use software/data/games that were installed using XP?

Last edited: 10 Oct 2008
  7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Dual booting Vista and XP should be piss easy. Just install Vista, the setup will do everything for you. You'll just need to install it on another partition/disk.

I think he meant that if you install the both OS's on the SAME partition, it won't work.

8. chrisb2e9

Thanks for the info gents.

9. GoodBytes

Yup, mm vr is correct. Sorry for not being clear.

10. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

I think it isn't possible to install them on the same partition. Because for example, if you try to install XP on partition that already has Vista installed, the setup will tell you that you have to format that partition first because it already has windows installation... so...

11. chrisb2e9

ok, vista arrived today. a little early, I was only expecting it on Tuesday. Anyway, I tried to install it but I guess you cant resize a current partition while installing vista. So I found some free partition software that would resize the current and then make a new one.
    But it turns out my hard drive is around 43% fragmented so I have to defrag first or the program wont resize the current parition. let alone make a new one.

Problem now is that the windows defrag program is so slow it will take a really really long time.
    Anyone know of a good free defrag program that I can use?

Thanks.

12. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Probably a good idea to ask for this in a new topic so more people will notice the request.

13. chrisb2e9

yeah I was going to. Doesn't matter, I came back to post that I managed to find one that works better than the default windows program.

14. GoodBytes

use trial version of O&O Defrag 11 32-bit (as you don't have a 64-bit to run the 64-bit version).
    More often you defrag the faster it takes.
    If you want a proper, performance maximize defragmentation, defrag with the above tool with COMPLETE/NAME.. this process will take several hours, so better do it while you are sleeping. If you don't care, than you can perform a normal defrag (Stealth (this is what the program calls it).

15. chrisb2e9

Thanks goodbytes, the program I found is called auslogics disk defrag. I dont know how good it is but its fast as far as I can tell. Been going for a little over 3 hours now and it should be done in another one.

16. chrisb2e9

well I managed to finally get vista up and running. drivers have been a nightmare. installing the ati drivers for my 4850 instead of the ones from visiontek's website ended up in crashes every time the desktop loaded. not to mention my wireless netoworking card didn't come with 64 bit drivers making it hard to connect to the net. but its finally working. thanks everyone.

17. chrisb2e9

how do I make it stop asking me for permission for things I've already asked it to do?

18. GoodBytes

Hmm... It doesn't make sense... aren't they supposed to be all the same drivers?! Also you are not the only one. I see many people with the same issue no mater what OS they uses.

This sucks, glad you found a solution. Yea, it's company trikeries for the hope that you go the buy their new, more expensive (and probably the same) product. That is what happens when Microsoft make a new core for Windows. Although I was WAY to young, I was told it was the same joke with Windows 2000 ((same scenario as Vista now (actually worst as most Win98 apps didn't work under it as well), which explains the release of XP a year later or about).

This is user account control, I strongly suggest not to disable it. You can disable while you install everything, but I suggest to put it back. It saved me several times from virus, Trojan, spyware, and malware attacks (friends data disk (malware engage with a hidden autorun... obviously failed as it needs Admin to start doing thing.) and more). granted it is a bit annoying but you get used to it. In Vista, anything that relates to several accounts or the main system, requires admin privileges. So when you normally use your computer you should not have UAC bugging you. Microsoft says that in Windows 7 they made UAC less annoying. My guess is that it won't ask you for deleting start menu shortcuts that affect all users, but I would not count on more than this.

Disabling UAC.
    Open the "Control Panel" (common places: Start menu black section and on the blue/teal/green bar on the Computer), Set to "classic view" (I don't know where it is in fancy mode) (see left side column (same place as XP))).
    Then open "User Accounts". You will see as a last item of the panel, one that is called "Turn User Account Control on or off", click on it. And finally, change uncheck the box to disable it. You will need to restart your computer to apply the change.

Other interesting things

- Enable Windows Media Player and Center 64-bit.
    1 - Install Vista 64-bit Codec pack (not from Microsoft). This codec pack can be downloaded from here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/VistaCodecs-x64Components-Download-67012.html. It features all the codecs you need, and several interesting tools, including video preview thumbnail for Vista 64-bit. It's a great codec.
    On your way, you may also want to install the 32-bit codecs for other players. I suggest this one as it was design to not conflict between each other (made by the same theme).
    32bit codec:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5326

2- Wait we are not done! Once the 64-bit codec pack is installed, open the Start menu, then go to "All programs", then on "Vista codecs", "64-bit tools", then on "Default Media Player". Once there, click on "Enable 64bit registry item" AND "Enable 64bit WMP as Default". (you can always revert). When executed you will see nothing happening, this is 100% normal. If it has any issues, it will prompt you. (I guess they have plans to include it in the setup or something, which explain the reason of the silent mode).

- Enable\Disable Subtitle on supported videos
    Using the above codec pack, under the same "64bit Tools" folder found on the location also mentioned above, you have a folder called "Subtitle settings". From there you can enable it and disable it with the provided tools. This will only affect 64-bit player that uses 64-bit codecs. If you install the previously mentioned 32-bit codec pack, you will have the same tool, however it is under "32-bit tools" folder instead.

- Movie, Blu-ray movie, DVD volume too low
    Again at the same location as above with the above mentioned codec pack. You have a shortcut to a panel called "Audio decoder configuration". From there you can boost the volume.

- Increase performance of system
    1- In the "Control Panel", open the "Power Options". From there select the radio box "High Performance".
    2- In the "Control Panel", open the "Device Manager", go to the "Disk Drives", then double click on your drive. A panel will open, from there select "Policies", and select "Enable advance performance". Recommended only if you do frequent backups, low power surges, wall plugs properly grounded, using a high end PSU, and/or having a battery system. Chances are you won't lose any data, but you never know, and explain the reason why Microsoft doesn't want to be responsible, which explain the note that says what I just said.
    3-Ensure that all devices are recognized by Windows, see "Device Manager"

- Why my computer is slow, and why my HDD is active so long...
    Computer perform disk indexing of selected locations. To change the index locations to best fit your needs, look in the Control panel for the "Indexing options". This is important for windows instant search. You can also set so that it looks inside of the content of a select file extension. Just leave your computer over night and it will all be done.

- Do I need a firewall software?
    If you plan on using a regular firewall software for not a specific reason, and you are behind a router. The new greatly imporved Windows firewall will do. It surpasses most firewall software (even good ones), allows you to allow/block per application or port the outgoing and incoming. Check it out in the Control Panel.

- I want to install my own anti-spyware program, because I don't trust Windows defender
    Granted Windows Defender is not very good other then probably catching the most known spyware, just remember to disable the service, and remove the startup shortcut of Windows Defender. You do this to prevent conflicts between programs.

- I want to try those tweak UI style tools. Any suggestion?
    None, I try them all, and they all suck. Like under Windows 2000 and XP, only Microsoft makes a good one (doesn't exist yet from Microsoft, for Vista). From my experience, it screws up with windows and same with Windows registry. Lucky you can go back in time with Vista to the last restoration point, else it would have been a re-install.

- I heard that defragmenting/optimizing the registry will improve performance
    I tried it, and like under XP, the OS gets screwed up, same for your application.. it makes a headache, don't even bother. Also the performance increase, was not noticeable at all. CCleaner is fine, no worries.

- Why windows defragmenting tool is worst than under XP
    I don't know the details, but Microsoft was actually using a license right for the engine, which ended so they had to make their own. I recommend O&O defrag 64-bit, worth purchasing it.

- Like under XP, Vista doesn't remember folder view settings
    Like XP, still not fix. However, it is believed that this is due to a conflict between the last folder view restore and the auto-detection folder type system. You can disable the auto-detection with a registry hack. You can find tutorials on this topic online.

- How to manually create a system restore point?
    Control Panel > System > System Protection (left side column). A panel will open, wait until the gray box gets populated. This may take some time. Once done, check the partition/drive that you want Windows so create a system restore and click on "Create".

If you restore your system it won't affect your personal files found in your profile.

- I heard that Vista has a "Time Machine"-like system like Mac OSX, is this true?
    Yes, it is. You can go back in time to any point where a restoration point of a file, folder, drive, and system.
    It feature similar features as Time Machine, like just previewing an older version of a file or folder or drive (not system of course)

- I am looking at Vista tweaks online, and some sites talk about 'gpedit.msc', what is it? How come I don't have?
    It's the group policy panel. It packed with options related to accounts, UAC behavior (no, its not what you think), and a bunch other stuff. This panel is available only in Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise edition. Some of the things can be changed under Home Premium via the registry.

- I want to change the power button on the start menu action.
    See Power Option panel in the Control Panel.

- Why does the OS take so much RAM?
    Superfect, it preloads your mostly used (time in used, is considered as well) application before you do. Don't worry it has no clue on the name of program, it just looks at system files, so all it sees is "data.dll", "something.dll" and so on.
    Information is kept at strict confidential, and nothing gets out of your system. I don't know if it is also encrypted. The RAM space is no reserved, and varies depending on what application you use. This space will free up as your applications needs it. So don't worry.

- Where is "repair windows"?
    That thing just didn't work, and took just as much time as re-installing the whole system. That is why it was removed and put room for system restore (back in time).

- Can I use Windows classic logon
    No. If your OS uses domain account, then instead of seeing your name and a password field, you see 2 text field, one for the user name and the other for the password. The OS will auto-detect if your account on the computer (local) or on the domain. Upon entering your user name, Windows will tell you just bellow your password the location of that account. Pretty cool stuff.

- Do I need to show hidden files and folders?
    Unlike XP and previous version of windows, hidden files are really for the system. You will have some .ini files designed to give the icons of a folder, and shortcuts everywhere to allow non-Vista supported applications to find the correct path of the new significantly more organized location.

- I want to backup my system for re-install what do I need to backup
    Presuming that Windows Vista is installed on the C drive.
    C:\Users\<name>\AppData (hidden folder) [Contains application configuration file per user]
    C:\Users\<name> [your profile containing all your files, documents, etc...]
    C:\Program Data (hidden folder) [Contains application configuration file affecting all users]

That is all. On restore, your applications should be configured as they were before. You might just need to put the serial number if it needs one.

- How about more tweaks:
    Great website: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/

Additional questions, just ask!

Last edited: 12 Oct 2008
  19. chrisb2e9

wow, that answered questions I hadn't answerd yet. but its 1:16am and I cant read straight so I will have to have another look in the morning. Its been fustrating, trying to learn a new system. having the folder settings always changing on me is so annoying. will look into it tomorrow. That and keep transferring files over from winxp. Still haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.

20. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Thanks GoodBytes, I've been looking for this! :D

Tags: