1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Dominator (Lian Li A05-B) updated 10/20/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fstr, 29 Jul 2008.

1. fstr

fstr What's a rotary tool?

That would be plan B and C respectively. I'm still trying to work on plan A where I change the color of the badge somehow.

Thanks - and thanks for all your encouragement!
    I took all photos before this week on my cellphone. This week I actually whipped out the digital camera - it does make a difference

:thumb:

OK - don't make us wait too long. :nono:
    Those 3 colors will look awesome together if you get the balance right - and the G5 makes me drool.

2. fstr

More photos... This time photos of installing the pumps

The pumps comes with molex plugs for power and 3-pin fan headers for rpm signal. This rats nest needs a cleanup.

[​IMG]

I want it all to be on one 3-pin fan header - don't worry, I will not connect it to the motherboard. The pumps will be controlled by an mCubed T-Balancer

So after cleaning up the rats nest it looks like this. I also mounted both pumps on the pump stand top plate and installed the tubing that connects the 2 pumps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then back to the case and installing the pump stand bottom plate. I had to revise the design slightly because I cannot reach the 2 standoffs in the back after the bottom plate is installed. I revised the top plate to slide into those 2 standoffs and then I screw the other socket head screws into the standoffs:

[​IMG]

Also notice how the bottom fan is now installed - things are getting tight!

[​IMG]

With pumps installed and radiator tubing connected:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that concludes the progress from last weekend. This coming weekend I will not have much time to work on it but hopefully I can install the reservoir and do some more work on wiring and installing the T-Balancer

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice sleeving on those pumps. I am so using compression fittings on my next build, they are so badass lol.

4. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

so clean - so beautiful!

5. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

I have got to get me some of those fans!!! they fit perfectly with the color scheme for my mod. Tell Nanoxia to hurry up and find a US distributor ok? lolz.

oh yeah, love the mod so far. loving the colors, execution, looking great so far!

6. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

What size are the compression fittings mate?

7. fstr

Compression fittings are the way to go!

Thanks - I jumped over and had a look at your last mod - beautiful build!

I hear you on the fans - but now that I have some, I don't want anybody else to have any. Just think if all the better modders and more creative people get their hands on these fans. It would be really bad for me :D

They are 3/8" ID and a combination of 1/2" and 5/8" OD. Reason I like the Bitspower fittings is that they come in the wider wall flavor. The Koolance ones does not. The tubing coming from the radiator is 1/2" OD, the rest is 5/8" OD.

8. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

REALLY great job in this case. Great ideas and perfect execution. I'm not a fan of watercooling but your solution is very elegant and compact, I like it! :clap:

9. fstr

Thanks - I also do not like watercooling where the tubing is everywhere. It's tough coming up with a solution that does not look like a spider's nest

10. fstr

As I warned, I did not have much time for modding this past weekend (mostly because I spent Saturday drinking with friends and Sunday was recovery :yawn:)

I did however *almost* finish the reservoir mount. So let me talk about that today;
    As you may remember I worked on this a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, next was to mount these arms to a backplate to create a complete bracket,
    First was to drill and tap some screw holes. This was tough as the acrylic is not very thick:

[​IMG]

And close up - not too shabby!

[​IMG]

Next I made a rather simple backplate with sunken cap head screw holes:

[​IMG]

Then I screwed the arms into the back plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the reservoir simply snaps into the arms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit into the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to show some wet-sand loving to the acrylic. I'm traveling this week thus not home, but to keep me productive at night, I packed an assortment of sanding paper, a wooden block I use for sanding and the reservoir bracket back plate. Signs of a true modder!! :clap::clap:

The reservoir will also get a temperature probe (also made by Bitspower) (still to be sleeved)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh - and a quick shot to show all of you with the loving for Bitspower compression fittings - tight fit on a D-Tec fuzion v2 block. And the 2 connectors here are 1/2" & 5/8" OD. 2 5/8" OD connectors will not fit. I still cannot believe I made these 2 fit. At first I thought it would not fit, but on a second attempt I realized if I screw both of them in simultaneously (1/4 twists at a time) it barely fits - the where rubbing against each other, so if you screw in the one it unscrews the other. I had to make small twists while trying to minimize the unscrewing of the other (and then alternate to the other fitting after about 1/4 turn). Be warned!

[​IMG]

11. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Really good pictures :clap: this is very clean and you have a great skills of details :thumb:

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Stunning work on the Res dude! :eeek: :thumb:

13. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

nice job man, keep it going!

as far as the fans. I know I'm not a better modder (hence the funky title i gave myself) I just love black and green together. lolz.

14. The boy 4rm oz

Res mount looks really cool. Will those clips hold it up? Especially when it is full of coolant.

15. fstr

Thanks! The pictures are a little washed out this week (didn't use proper lighting)

Thanks!

LOL - It took me a second to realize what you are talking about - it was only meant as a joke. But the fans definitely help the overall theme.

I had my doubts but the res is held very firmly. But then I did not contemplate the weight with liquid in it (not that it holds much). My original plan was to use this mount unless it does not hold the res, then I will come up with I different solution - so I will stick with this plan. Now's the time to start praying for me!

16. AssassinGT

AssassinGT What's a Dremel?

brilliant work!

17. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I haven't really followed this one, but both the case and the pictures are great! :thumb:

18. The boy 4rm oz

If the bracket doesn't hold the res to well you could always put a notch in the end of each arm and use a thin black O ring to keep it at bay. Tribaloverkill used that method on one of his designs and it worked quite well.

19. fstr

Thanks!

There are some great modders around here, comparing me to them humbles me.

Thanks!
    Or should I say "Baie Dankie"?

The pictures doesn't really show it, but the ends of the arms are less rounded to give extra grip. But it is tough to estimate how much is needed when creating the arms, so the idea of an o-ring if I need additional grip is brilliant. Thanks for the advice!

20. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Never noticed this before, but what a brilliant case, your metal working skills are fantastic and the radiator under really works well. Even things like how you mounted the honeycomb grill, shows a great level of detail to this mod. Well done sir!

Tags: