1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Casebuild - 29TB gaming rig - 5th. gen - upd 3 apr 09 - Second waterloop installed!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by grevaeg, 17 Oct 2008.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Epic!

What are you going to watercool, and how many rads will it involve? Is it just the one from the bike? How big is it.

I'd be interested to see how much difference there is between the P5K premium and the X48 board when you overclock them.

2. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

really great case and the hardware cool :eeek:
    What for touch screen you use :confused:
    when the next update :thumb:

3. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Very very nice so far :) it reminds me very slightly of this: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1086.html

But 20tb! I have a friend who had a 16 drive raid array of 750gb drives (think raid 6? I dont know) but he's sold them now and resolved to keep the number of drives down a bit more as drive capacities seem to be increasing faster than the size of data. So if you buy unless you need the space immediately 'long term' it is a losing situation. At least that was his look at the economical model :p

I really can't wait to see this completed though :D

4. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

/internet ?

All of the 40ish disks r set in raid 0 for proper failure when one of em dies :p just messing around :p the disks will be set in clusters of 5, running raid 5 mostly, some of em will just be jbod though

Well... items sold = money lost, allready bought the disks over the past year or so, no reason to throw em away when i can just continue adding more of em, and beside, 2 raided 500gb perform better then a single tb disk :p but ill get there, just need some more cash

thx :p

5. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Current plans about watercooling is just to cool the CPU's, gonna need some more funding before buying waterblocks to the 4970 and the 4870x2, blocks like that are not for sale in norway for some reason... =/ so have to pay expensive as hell shipment from the US or some other foreign country to get em... and it easily topps out on 300$ each, that would be a total of 600$ with transport included, rather just stash up some more disks then :p

The radiator is 55x32x4 cm

The next update will come on moday / tuesday

Just done with the paintjob, and the front watertank, gonna work on some plexi details too

Thx for comments guys, keep em coming

-Cg

6. Mikle

Mikle What's a Dremel?

My point was that 1TB or 1,5TB disk only use half of power vs. 2x or 3x 500. More economic and less noise and more space to add :) But yes, you lose a little money vs. what 1TB disk cost to day ;)

What kind of monster(s) of raid controller do you got :D?

7. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

2x HighPoint RocketRAID 4320 8P SAS RAID 6, PCIe x8 Intel IOP348 - 16 HDD
    2x HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X1 4P SAS/SATA RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD PCI-Express x1 - 8 HDD
    1x Sunsway/ST Lab PCI ATA133 RAID 2P , Silicon Image chip - 4 HDD
    Onboard IDE - 6 HDD
    Onboard SATA - 22 HDD

Total = 56 HDD max =)

that would be the controllers of choice for now, also a additional 22 sata ports on the mobo's, not ideal. but again, controllers cost about 1000$ each for decent 8 ports over here, though, they will only be streaming media, so its sufficient with mobo controllers for something... the performance is awesome though on seperate controllers, no cpu load either.. and just gotta love the performance of sas disks too =)

About gettin TB disks though, im not buying in more 500gb disks anymore :p but im not gonna sell the 500gb i allready have, atleast not yet , hehe

8. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

What an insane build, wow! I'm still on air but got a water cooled floating around in my head so the bike radiator was a good tip. Duh, could have had a V8, been biking all my life, got a 83 Wing sitting outside now and never thought of that.

Great looking fans. Just going up from 120mm to 140mm shows me a lot of air movement difference with less rpm and noise. 250mm gotta be even better, that is if one has the space. That does not seem tobe one of your problems.

A workmate told me once,"if you need a radiator for your computer then you got way too much computer", this project would blow his mind. LOL

Great start mate, will follow this one for sure.:thumb::thumb:

9. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Ive never ever posted in a build log before but wow this is excess in an area I never thought you could have or would want excess, I also saw you respond to what was on the disk with /internet? which is always how me and a buddy respond to each other when we think the other is buying computer parts that are way too powerful for no reason.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

EPIC!

I dont even want to think about how much this thing would cost, but you could probably buy a car for the price hahaha!

11. Mikle

Mikle What's a Dremel?

Update FFS! :p

12. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Incoming update :p

Starting out with some images, dont have time to do the write up now, will fill in later though :p

enjoy ! ^^.

[​IMG]
    Finally! The paintjob is done :p Everything got sanded, primed, and painted with orange powder coat, and a final layer of clear paint

[​IMG]
    The mounting brackets all got a coat of black paint, also a closeup of the paint finish

[​IMG]
    Still gonna need to plexi up the right backside of the case though... still have some black plexi around to use on it

[​IMG]
    The bottom part of HDD mount rack ^^

[​IMG]
    Cut out some plexi to cover up the radiator fans, all looks somewhat better now, though, lotsa work left with the finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The front fans all mounted up in the case, the water res will go in front of those too, and a additional front flate in front of that one again, still need to get some design ideas, working on it though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This would be pics of the top and sideplates of the top box on the case, that will house radiator, mini ITX and the touchscreen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The window is raised by about 1cm from the outer plate, to ensure that air can get into the case without problems

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mini ITX, finally mounted up in the case, just need to move that powersupply now, since it got just a tad to large to fit in there -.-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The touch screen in place, filed down the edges on the plexi making it look pretty smooth imo atleast :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Oct 2008
  13. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

[​IMG]
    Wanted to get some feet on this case, as the paint can easily get messed up if its just being pushed along the floor, managed to get ahold of some 40x10x100mm alu, these should be more then sturdy enough to keep the weight of the case

[​IMG]
    The feet are mounted on a 6mm alu plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut the corners of the plate so the feet would fit proper in there :p

[​IMG]
    Cut out spacers from some steel tubes i had around in the shop, cut out at 3cm each, and tightened up with m10 bolts that hold the bottom and top together

[​IMG]
    God, cant wait to get the protective plastic off the plexi -.-

[​IMG]
    Had to get some spacers up in front to hold the weight proper

[​IMG]
    Cut out another couple from the tubing, around 6cm long, bolted up with the same m10 bolts

[​IMG]
    And yea... the bolts need to be cut :p just need some more time as the day was about to end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This would be the sideplate of the case, fitted in two windows, holding about the same size as the one in the top.. to maintain the style

[​IMG]
    Taped up the side plate on the other side, just to see if it fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The spacers made the case 3cm higher, but it also gave the space needed to fit the waterpump later on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This would conclude the current update on this one, will keep em coming as soon as more is done ^^

whats still left doing :

-Lots of filing, , grinding, to get the finish of the plexi better
    -Get started on the watercooling
    -Get started with cables, sleeves
    -Get all the leds up and running
    -Get custom decals designed, cut out, and applied to the case
    -Get frontplate done
    -Get waterress done
    -Mount up HDD's and hardware
    -Details :p

14. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one grevaeg,very nice :thumb:

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

wow, you are in a hurry!

Ofcourse apart from the utterly rediculous excessive hardware there's not much you are complicating matters with.
    One question:
    Why would you want two gaming rigs in one computer? Can you play two games at once?
    I can understand the "need" for a secondary low-powered system inside a computer, but a tertiary system? Or is it just needed to control all those disks?

16. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

well... im living with my ladie, and what in the world wouldnt you hate more then ur computer being taken when needed :p

So its as simple as that, im not the only person using the comp, both the comps got dual set with 24" NEC's, so its nothing like a media switch around ^^

And thanks skullen ^^

17. AssassinGT

AssassinGT What's a Dremel?

Wow.. when I think of people who mod their cases with hardcore alterations are savy; You who can make a case entirely from scratch and on top of all that make it look fantastic; you're a god in this business mate. Well done!

18. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Its all for the fun of it AssassinGT, enjoy casemodding ^^

There, did a small writeup on the log for now, enjoy!

-Cg

19. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Whow. Thats huge :) BUt i like it :)

I think you'll gonna need sum wheels. 50 harddisks are kinda heavy ;)

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ahh nice. :thumb:

dare i say... pics or it didn't happen! :D