1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Saints Row 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/25/saints-row-2/1

Gaming ain't easy, but it's necessary, yo - and we're damn good at it. Now, Andy takes a look at Saints Row 2 on the Xbox 360 to see if the game is still playing second fiddle to the Rockstar that is Grand Theft Auto, or if it's enjoyable in its own right.

:naughty:

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Lol, good review, but still wouldn't play it over the more polished GTA series.

"GTA forces you to keep your girlfriend satisfied, Saints Row 2 lets you go and play with the boys" Haha, that sounded so wrong xD

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Who wrote this, Andy or Joe? The article and front page dissagree. I smell plagarism! ;)

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Andy wrote it, I just forgot to change the author. Fixed now.

5. ibs137

ibs137 What's a Dremel?

nice review!

waiting for Dead Space for PC review..

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have to disagree with the final point of the review.

Saints Row 2 is better then GTA IV. Which is pretty much its direct competitor.

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

So same deal as gta 4? X amount of months and it comes pc? that's what I'd like to hear. I always thought that saints row looks a lil cartoony witch is kinda cool, idk if that's what they aimed for tho.

10. DougEdey

It is, SR is designed to be a tongue in cheek game, I actually watch the cut scenes in this when I skip them in most sandboxes. Just because the voice talent & writing is superb!

11. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Saints Row is a truly awful game! 8/10 Oh dear Bit, oh dear!

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I had a lot more fun with SR2 (Shame Fable 2 has come out within a week and cut my SR2 time down) than I ever had with GTA IV.

SR2 is far more brutal and in a sense 'real', the character is not a twofaced ****. Sorry, but Niko is a crap character, morality wise. Happy to mow down hundreds upon hundreds of people for his cousin who he spends quite a bit of time calling a liar etc, but one pedestrian and he's crying like it was his brother? That aspect of that game can **** right off.

SR hasn't got to the point where it's so far up it's ass it thinks it can take itself seriously (GTA IV, for example, is a game far into that stage. Remember how previous GTA's have been funny, had how IV was about as funny as major surgery?), and manages to maintain a decent level of writing (The tie-ins with the previous game are logical (Except some of the Row renovations, they must have taken longer than 5 years from planning to completion, yet there are no construction crews?)), a logical chain of events with the missions, and so on.

Not to say I disagree with the score - There are some flaws that prevent a nine, or even a ten, out of ten. Biggest for me is lack of local co-op (Mainly because my flatmate doesn't like the game enough to buy it, and I've only one copy). I just disagree with the idea that it's not as good as GTA IV. It is at least as good, in some aspects better, and some not as good (I hate, but understand, the respect bar).

Also: I love being able to customise your characters appearance. It's good enough to allow significant differences between players, but not so overboard that you spend hours fiddling with sliders. Being able to play a female character is awesome. The Male 'british' voice is hilarious, too.

13. DougEdey

This is true, I have a crazy face on and look like someone out of a Guy Ritchie movie :p

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Really? Well that's your opinion, the review is mine. Metacritic does back me up on my score, though - so it looks as though your on your own with that opinion.

SR2 is better than GTA in some ways, but it falls behind in others. The graphics are less polished than GTA, the online offerings are paltry, the vehicle controls are weird and the lack of a local co-op mode is annoying.

If both games were to be scored side-by-side rather than separated by six months, they would both probably get similar scores. GTA IV might have score slightly higher because it's a slightly more polished experience (as you'd expect from a franchise that's been going for so long).

But hey, this is just a review. It's my opinion, at the end of the day. You're welcome to disagree with my opinion.

15. osc8r

osc8r What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to get my hands on the PC version, as long as they retain the co-op play through the entire single player campaign, the thing GTA IV seriously lacks.

Tags: Add Tags