1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Oct 2008.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

really want this but im going to finish far cry 2 first.

damn these developers saving up all the games till the end of the year!

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

tell me bout it. 68% on Far Cry hardcore mode and just passed chapter1 on Dead Space..... now this? lol

and i need to clear all of these comes nov18 too.... LOTRO expansion.

3. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

Question:

Never ever played any of the Fallout games and know very little of the storyline or setting. Will I be fine starting out with Fallout 3 or will I end up feeling like I'm missing huge chunks of the story?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You can pick up the storyline just fine, no problem. If you want literally every single gritty detail then you might want to play the first games but it isn't at all needed and you could probably get it from the Wikipedia entry if you don't mind the spoilers.

On the other hand, Fallout 2 can be had in Vista compatible form for £5.00 from GoodoldGames.com, DRM free. It's amazing.

5. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I love far cry 2, never played the first one it seemed retarded. but ima get it off steam anyways. I might get this but Ill likely wait for a price drop and hope some awesome mods come out while I wait.... or maybe Ill pick up 1 and 2 and play through them first idk.... too many games just like last november but better need for speed pro street only got beaten once and wont get installed again.

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Actually it si FC2 that is retarded and FC1 was actually pretty good, last 2 levels not witstanding. FC2 is full of bad design, boring repetition.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

agreed, looks like fallout 3 is another game that fails to deliver. im going back to deadspace.

8. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Well I'm still debating getting this.
    Based on Oblivion : No
    Based on Console Interface : No, shame I'd like to support the PC version.
    Based on character skills actually having meaning : Yes - More a case of Morrowind with guns \o/ ;)
    Based on dialogue and plot : Won't know till I play it, opinions I've read differ and I don't want to delve into spoiler territory.

Oh well, there's always Red Alert or the GoodOldGames option or I could even wait until I've finished X3:TC.

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

You can just wiki the back story to understand how the Vaults, the Brotherhood, the landscape etc etc play into the game. Fallout 3 changes the story up a bit and they don't explain why certain things exist/happened.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I agree with Lepermessiah.
    i bought FarCry2 off steam (very expensive it was too US$54.99) and found out that it is basically a huge multiplayer map.
    the missions quite happily send you off to the other side of the map, so you can go back thru all the checkpoints you have just cleared...
    Far Cry original was brilliant...
    I loved Oblivion, but Fallout3 looks too RPG-y for me...I don't mind a little bit of it, but i'm not a D&D fan, or Diablo etc...

11. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

If memory serves me right, there was a pretty decent amount of "adult language" in Fallout 2. How would you rate Fallout 3 in that respect?

I really don't understand the need for swearing in video games...

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There is swearing. It's an adult game. There's swearing where people might swear, but it's hardly ****ing gratuitous!

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

When I saw the ads for this, I thought it was a joke. Takes the best bits of an FPS and ruins it with the slowness of any RPG. Ugh

14. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Woo-Hoo! Can't wait. I'm still chipping away at Fable 2. New tires for my car or Fallout 3? Decisions, Decisions! Not like I'll be driving anywhere anyway if im sitting at home playing this game....

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, stupid preoder at game, but it was cheaper and saved me the strange looks from the employes when buying pc games.
    Looks like a great game, shame they screwed up the ui though.

16. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

LOL, thanks CardJoe

17. ginbong

ginbong What's a Dremel?

So I was just wondering. Will a FPS nut who has never played Fallout like myself enjoy this game with all the nuisances of console style UI etc.

Is the actual FPS shooting good? I heard it takes longer to kill in FPS mode. xD

I have the game on pre-order ready to pick-up now but I'm not so sure.

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is it that hard to tweak the UI for different platforms? Would it really be that hard?

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its only hard for a format you dont care about.

20. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

What sort of drm does them game have? I only have phoneternet at the moment, so can't do any online activation rubbish. Is it just disk-in-drive? I've seen mixed reports.

Tags: Add Tags