1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whalemeister, 29 Oct 2008.

1. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

So is anyone else here weeing themselves with excitement over the release of Fallout 3 on Friday (UK).

I've just read the review here today and really, really can't wait for Friday to come around. I'm even thinking of being "ill" that day and not going into work as I've used up all of my holiday for the year :(

2. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

I covered a shift on saturday simply so i can get friday off and have a 3 day weekend. Funnily enough, I think my room may become like vault 101... the door will never open. lol :D

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

playing it now. excellently detailed. gfx good, DC City is hard to survive.

4. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Ahh yes, thinking of picking it up today. I'm just gonna stroll on down to the closest shop with it and.......oh, I forgot.......you poor souls in the UK can't have it yet. Well, I'll play it and let you know how wonderfully awesome it is while you wait 2 more days for it! Bwa-hahaha!

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I unfortuneatly don't really have the money for it now :(

6. Thacrudd

Neither do I lol. I guess it's mac n cheese for a week or so for me :D

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Nothing wrong with mac and cheese :)

8. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

I'd really like to play Fallout 3, but I'm pretty sure I'd be stuck with either 800*480, or 2 FPS at native resolution... So I guess it'll have to wait till this ass of a rig gets updated...

9. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Note: Some spoilers, all hidden with tags. Don't hover if you don't want to ruin it!

I finished it on Xbox 360 earlier today (played all day yesterday). I'd guess the playtime as about 15 hours for the main story. The ending is kind of a disappointment.

I'm interested to know what others thought about Fallout 3. To me, it was a mash-up of a bunch of other games I liked more:
    • Oblivion
    • Half-Life
      government intervention, scientist ramblings, "The Citadel"
    • BioShock
      utopian underground society with insane ruler
    • Gears of War
      setting, graphics, and combat
    • Deus Ex
      free-form, choose how to complete a mission, rpg elements
    • Doom 3
      especially indoors: lighting and setting

Granted, every game is going to be similar to something else already released. It's just that I couldn't see something in Fallout 3 without immediately thinking of something else.
    For instance, the final segment (following a giant robot around D.C.) reminded me of The Iron Giant/Iron Man.

It seems to me like just about everything in the game could be described as "Like ____, but ...". Almost as if there was nothing original; everything built off a concept pioneered by another game (or movie).

I don't have any input on how it continues the Fallout series, as I've never played Fallout 1 or 2.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Only 15 hours? ouch... that hurts.

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Depends, if there are enough side quests to seriously multiply that, then I think a short main story is good so those of us with jobs will have a chance to have a few playthroughs with different styles.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

preordered this for PC (cheap collectors edition, yay) based on the short time i had with it at the eurogamer expo yesterday. will probably sit in my room until christmas though - no time to play, still got fable 2, gow2, and LBP to play!

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Apart from the graphics, the fallout series had all of the above and came out before all of those games IIRC.

14. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

@Hacker: You could say the games you listed took ideas from Fallout series and Fallout 3 is just a poor nextgen version of the originals. But Fallout originally came from Wasteland and Mad Max.

Half-Life: 2nd FPS Favorite (Duke3D 1st), Doom 3: Sucked, Oblivion: Sucked, Bioshock: OK, GOW: Sucked, Deus Ex: OK

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Does fallout require an internet connection to install or is it dvd-check?

I'm moving tommorrow and I'll be sans internet for 12 days...so the plan was to play fallout while waiting to get my broadband connected.

16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

AFAIK fallout only uses basic CD key copy protection, so you should be good to go. otherwise, i'm sure there are ways to solve your problem, ahem.

17. Thacrudd

No internet connection is required to install. I am having a lot of CTDs and freezes though (I should've kept my mouth shut earlier:hehe:) It seems the PC release is having a lot of issues and Beth's forum is full of reports. Shame, the game is really fun. Anyone who read the review doesn't have much to worry about the user interface, it really isn't as bad as they made it sound (to me anyways)

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  18. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

I'm not so sure about that. I played it on the 360, and if the PC interface is identical then it would be maddening. Something like BTmod needs to be whipped up quickly for the PC version.
    Undoubtedly Fallout 3 draws more inspiration from the previous games in the series than anything else (except possibly Oblivion), but I think you'll change your mind when you play through. Everything feels like it has been done (better) by something else.

19. Thacrudd

Don't get me wrong, it is a little unnerving at times, but it didn't seem as bad as the review made it out to be. Plus, just like oblivion I would assume that the UI is easier on the PC than console anyway. Mousewheel in inventory cheesecake!
    I've been using darkened UI on Oblivion for a while and it made a world of difference. Hopefully they will release the construction set soon so I can get my grubby hands in it :naughty:

20. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I hated Oblivion with a passion and F3 feels like Oblivion with a F3 shell. I'd rather see the game setup like F2 but 3D.

Tags: