1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mithril (9/2/09, I'm not as daft as I thought...)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 3 Jan 2008.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, ModMinded, you're right. I do leave a lot out.

The Leonidas, since it was first, is an integral reservoir, two sides of which are actually made of the wood of the case. The bottom of the reservoir is made of black coal, cast railroad rocks, and a full two-bottle set of Envirotex. In the bottom will be a special Easter Egg to those who paid close attention to the movies, as well as helping me with algae control.

Some of the cryptic stuff is sad stuff. Where the boards went (pay bills, and then RMA return for the K9ND), what happened in some of the logs (some just aren't complete, now) and why my homemade block hasn't posted a temp (can't seal it for love nor money) are all issues that I didn't feel like burdening the forums with. It's never nice to have to say I have a great spec and I'm almost there and sh!t, I gotta sell all my insides cause somebody's really sick and I'm more worried about them than the build.

I'm soldiering along on the build cause I can't find the cash to replace my setup. In fact, this is a friend's computer he left here for tweaking and OCing. I've got a processor, some RAM, a video card and a power supply. Oh, and a hard drive. That processor is an ancient 3600 X2 EE. Sucks, but I have it. If I can get another K9A2, I'll be in business. Hopefully, that will happen by Christmas, I have my daughter's new PC sitting in boxes all over the house, waiting on a case/psu and cooler.

As for the lore updates, you got it. I may even retcon the old ones...

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Lol... that's wild! Thanks for sharing.

Health and family definitely comes first. I hope I didn't make you feel worse with my post. Not my intent at all, and I look forward to future positive stuff coming your way. I feel you on the not wanting to 'drag the forums down with your unhappy events', but at the same time think it helps to keep us in perspective, to a certain extent. I like to hear about failed events as well, just cause it helps me recognize that these modders I've been reading aren't like Midas with the Golden Modding Touch, and at the same time helps me avoid the same the mistakes in the future (hopefully!)

Good Luck to you! Keep us posted, if you can, and give us some lore, and maybe even the story of that silver leafing. Great stuff there!

3. KayinBlack

[​IMG]

Fans arrived... Time to get them installed...

On this, now in bare metal finish!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final polish on the MIPS block...

[​IMG]

Enjoy, I'm off work tomorrow for more work!

BTW, MM, you don't bother me in the least. I get that I'm cryptic. Just thought it was part of the charm...

4. KayinBlack

Quickie update, I've been sponsored a copper topped Apogee GTX...

Score, can't wait for it to come in...

5. ModMinded

Congrats on the sponsorship! After reading about your woes, I was going put in something like, "anyone want to help this guy out with a sponsorship?" in my response! :D

And I forgot to give you props on your power switch, cool stuff!

Glad I'm not bothering you! :)

6. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Great woodwork. +1 vote for your MoTM nomination from me.

7. ModMinded

Congrats on the MoTM nomination! It's gonna be a tough competition!

8. KayinBlack

I must say I'm trilled, and even if I don't win, it's still worth it. I'm having too much fun to let that bother me.

Still hunting sponsors, but I may have more news, I dunno what's happening yet. When I have it sorted, I'll post more.

9. KayinBlack

well, so far I've spent three days dealing with possible sponsorships and contests...

I've gotten a BitsPower fitting (basically a review sample, expect a review soon on the regular forums), and...

a Q6600!!! It's already shipped, just waiting for it to get here.

Currently waiting to see what happens with a contest on XS that would net me a GTX480 (yeah, they make them that big) and a Rampage Formula.

The E6550 will be going into a new PC for my second oldest, on a DFI Infinity 975x with a HD3850. She's also getting my 250GB Samsung, which is the fastest single platter drive I've ever owned.

I'm now out of GPUs, and HDDs, and I need some pumps. However, I'm happy as all get out, and believe me, whatever gets in here will stay in here. That was a promise from my wife.

Anybody know what SSDs are cheap? As in real cheap?

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm hunting for some SSD sponsorship for Prometheus myself right now, but if that falls though I'm looking at 4 or 5 of these. Price is fantastic, cheapest SSD's I've seen.

11. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

looking great KB..

12. KayinBlack

Shoot me a PM if you have any luck. I'm gonna swap to 2.5" drives.

13. KayinBlack

Just a quick update before the shavings start flying again, I've just won a HWLabs GTX 480 and am ASUS Rampage Formula for Mithril!!!

Now the waiting game starts...

Also, I will have actual ithildin progress later on today...

14. Slatter

Slatter Mesh Addict

Congrats Mate... You gonna love the Rampage.

15. KayinBlack

...And the one of the gifts of the Elves was ithildin, whose name means starmoon, and which can only be read under the light of the moon...

Scarce stuff, this ithilden, for its making was forgotten long, long ago. However, the Gates of Moria...

[​IMG]

And when night falls (or UV light, in this circumstance)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Letters are still not done, the wood chews up what I used to make that with-a UV marking pen for IDing stuff... Need to cut the tip down for the letters, but they'll get on there.

Til next time, I got nothin.

16. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Kayin, although your updates are scarce, your artwork is gorgeous. I loved LOTR, and I like how this incorporates it. All aspects of the case art are beautiful

17. KayinBlack

Well, i work ALL the time, as I have a full-time job and I run a PC design business as well. Add to that dad, husband and pet owner, and I still enjoy gaming as well-that's a lot of time. I sleep very little (sometimes only 4 hours at a time) but I can't run tools all the time.

Could be worse, though.

18. ModMinded

I like the ithildin! Very nice!
    Congrats on the wins! What did you do to win those?

19. KayinBlack

Fried a board using custom blocks and an 80mm Al radiator.

waiting for response back on my first corporate sponsor for Mithril. it's a go for the follow-up to Mithril, but I think i got some toys for this too.

Yes, there is a new mod planned. No, I will not divulge more.

20. KayinBlack

[​IMG]

Mam, what dad is doing? Mam? Mam. Maaaam. Mam!

While Gabby asks for explanations of my maniacal laughter, I'm working on...

[​IMG]

That. That has a chicken breast in it too.

Oh, update...

[​IMG]

Galadriel gave Samwise a small token. Flat on both sides, it was made of silvery metal on one, with an intricate pattern of golden dots on the other. The silvery side was writ with strange figures to Sam's eyes.

"What is it, Lady," Sam asked. "It allows one man to do the work of many, to see many things, and the power to make them real." An awed look came over Sam's face. "Real Elven magic, Mister Frodo!" he exclaimed.

"Magic. Yes, you could call it that, if you wished..." said Galadriel.

The elven token in question would be a G0 Q6600. Since that's an upgraded proc, we need better cooling...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy, while I eat my sandwich. Board should arrive tomorrow. Some changes, but all for the better...

Also, new chipset blocks to make you guys drool...